Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates Support | Friendship | Dating 21,175 members

Ostomy life

Posted by Maried, on Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:04 am

I used to enjoy going to the library to read the newspaper and magazines . It was quiet and relaxing and there was a wonderful sunroom. One day I was visiting sitting in my favorite comfortable chair in the sun room with a couple of magazines.. I was 7 months pregnant with my first child ..my stoma started to rumble .. so I stood up to leave and my stoma let out the longest..loudest fart noise and the noise continued as I hurried out the long walk to the exit and yes people looked up from the books. My most embarrassing Ostomy moments can be counted on one hand .. maybe two but it has been over 30 years...this memory made me laugh today.

Reply by Bill, on Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:26 am

Hello Maried.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I find it interesting that the most embarrassing events can (with hindsight) be amusing. Last year I published a book (Laugh or Lament) which captured this concept in the context of living with a stoma. I'ts a pity that I did not have the knowledge of your experience then, as it would have made another useful contribution to that book. (with permission of course!)

Best wishes

Bill 

Reply by HenryM, on Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:46 pm

Welcome to the odd and amazing world of ostomy memories.  HenryM

Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:25 pm

Yup, those noises happen at the oddest times...embarrassing as hell

depending on your stoma's audience...

seems they know who you're talking to, or where you are...

cases in point: down the hall to fetch the mail from apartment's mailboxes,

or yelling at my kids....stomas always put their two cents in, lol!

Reply by delgrl525, on Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:01 pm

Hi Maried,  I find you can laugh at just about anything if enough time has passed.  Your experience sounds hilarious in the re-telling, not so much in the experiencing I'm sure. I have been lucky so far but I'm sure my luck will run out at some point.  The only person to hear my stoma when it gets talkative is my husband and he's so used to it he doesn't even look up from his book or meal or whatever else he's doing.  I did have one close call when in a store talking to a clerk.  My stoma decided it had something to say while I was speaking to her and I suddenly felt the need to speak a lot louder than necessary.  I'm pretty sure the clerk didn't hear anything but she probably thought I was a bit of a loon!

Cheers,

Terry

Reply by HenryM, on Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:37 pm
delgrl525 wrote:

Hi Maried,  I find you can laugh at just about anything if enough time has passed.  Your experience sounds hilarious in the re-telling, not so much in the experiencing I'm sure. I have been lucky so far but I'm sure my luck will run out at some point.  The only person to hear my stoma when it gets talkative is my husband and he's so used to it he doesn't even look up from his book or meal or whatever else he's doing.  I did have one close call when in a store talking to a clerk.  My stoma decided it had something to say while I was speaking to her and I suddenly felt the need to speak a lot louder than necessary.  I'm pretty sure the clerk didn't hear anything but she probably thought I was a bit of a loon!

Cheers,

Terry

That's funny.  Maybe the clerk just thought that you were hearing impaired, since that causes people speak louder than usual.

Reply by w30bob, on Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:03 am

Hi Maried,

I've been lucky so far in that I never have experiences like you describe. The worst mine gets is to grumble just slightly louder than an upset stomach every once in a while, but no farting noises. Of course when mine gets grumbling it's always in a meeting room or other place where it's quiet and I can't easily hide or escape. When people turn to look at me I just smile.....Cuz there ain't a damn thing I can do about it!  But a library?  That takes the cake. Only place that would be worse that I can think of would be church!

Regards,

Bob

Reply by Newatthis, on Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:56 am
Bill wrote:

Hello Maried.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I find it interesting that the most embarrassing events can (with hindsight) be amusing. Last year I published a book (Laugh or Lament) which captured this concept in the context of living with a stoma. I'ts a pity that I did not have the knowledge of your experience then, as it would have made another useful contribution to that book. (with permission of course!)

Best wishes

Bill 

Amazon are out of stock of your book,,how can I get a copy 
Best wishes

newto this

Reply by Bill, on Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:09 pm
Newatthis wrote:
Bill wrote:

Hello Maried.

Best wishes

Bill 

Best wishes

newto this

Hello Newatthis.

It is flattering to think that Amazon are out of stock, but I suspect that it is much more likely that they do not sell on books that are not profitable for them. However, all is not lost! The British library have a lending scheme where you can obtain a copy to read for nothing. Also, if you were to go into your local bookshop, they would probably order a copy for you. Alternatively, you could drop a line to the publishers and they would send you a copy direct. They are SOLAR Publications and can be found listed in Neilson's book publishers list. (I don't think they allow us to put addresses on this site!). If all else fails, I could always blog the book on here, as it's only 100 or so pages .

Best wishes

Bill 

Reply by Newatthis, on Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:13 pm
Bill wrote:Tha
Newatthis wrote:
Bill wrote:

Hello Maried.

Best wishes

Bill 

Best wishes

newto this

Hello Newatthis.

It is flattering to think that Amazon are out of stock, but I suspect that it is much more likely that they do not sell on books that are not profitable for them. However, all is not lost! The British library have a lending scheme where you can obtain a copy to read for nothing. Also, if you were to go into your local bookshop, they would probably order a copy for you. Alternatively, you could drop a line to the publishers and they would send you a copy direct. They are SOLAR Publications and can be found listed in Neilson's book publishers list. (I don't think they allow us to put addresses on this site!). If all else fails, I could always blog the book on here, as it's only 100 or so pages .

Best wishes

Bill 

Thak you will try to find it

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.