Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates Support | Friendship | Dating 21,176 members

Ostomy Memories of Dreams

Posted by HenryM, on Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:56 am

On a shelf just above my head sits a brand-new copy of THE INTERPRETATION OF DREAMS by Sigmund Freud. It has rested there for months and I’ve yet to muster the courage necessary to pull it down and start to read it. Of course, some night dreams are fairly obvious. If you’re having dreams of committing acts of deviate sex, or violence against others, then I highly recommend that you see a mental health professional as soon as possible. My dreams are too mundane to warrant any kind of expert analysis. I’m wandering around a parking lot, looking vainly for my missing car. Or I’m in some endless school corridor, in search of the assigned classroom, knowing that I’ve not done my homework or prepared for the day’s exam. I don’t need the famous psychoanalyst to tell me these dreams signify a perception that there’s something missing in my life or that I’ve failed in some way. Then, there are the potty dreams. I’ve had this ileostomy too long to remember if I experienced potty dreams pre-surgery. But I’m forever noticing that telltale bulge just below the waist and looking for an acceptable bathroom in which to empty. There’s always something wrong, though. The place is as filthy and smelly as a French Quarter pissoir, or none of the stalls have doors, or they’re all occupied, or something else is preventing me from relieving my discomfort. Then, I wake up, and voilà, I really do have to go. The facility with which the body and the brain communicate, even while asleep, is extraordinary. But sometimes I wonder if dreams aren’t more all-encompassing than we think. There are times when I feel that my whole life is some kind of dream, and I hope that whoever is having it doesn’t wake up too soon.

Reply by Two bags, on Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:02 am

I've had some really crazy dreams in the past,  when I'm not happy, or having a bout of depression, they are usually nightmares, where I'm in a fight, I always win these fights I'm in, and they are always with somebody I used to know. Or, I wake up talking or yelling loudly, but the words don't make any sense, when I hear myself, they are just sounds. 

When I am happy, and life is good, I have great dreams, about riding motorcycles, or seeing old friends from the old days.  In all my dreams, I don't have stomas.  One thing I find fascinating, is that if I'm having a wonderful dream and I wake up,  I can nearly always go back to that dream and continue it,  even if I wake up and need to go to the bathroom to empty, I can still go back to that same dream, by thinking about it as I go back to sleep.  Of course there are bad dreams too, where I don't want to continue thinking about it. When that's the case, I usually have to get up and go watch a bit of TV, before I go back to sleep.  Dreaming is a strange thing,  can be both good and bad.

Reply by Bill, on Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:50 am

Hello HenryM.
Thanks again for another 'memorable' post. I have always thought of dreams as an extension of ‘free-range’ thinking. From an early age, I set about taking control of my dreaming processes and managed to develop techniques whereby I could control my dreams in a similar fashion to the way I control the writing of stories in my books. The dreams then become a ‘creative’ process, rather than an uncontrolled experience.
Best wishes
Bill


Needless to say, I tried to capture the concept in verse- - so you have given me yet another opportunity to share a long-lost rhyme on the subject:


IN MY DREAMS.
I can love, I can hate
and control my form and fate.
Whilst there I share and innovate,
mend and bend and reinstate.

I go anywhere and do anything,
actor, banker, craftsman, king.
I laugh and cry and sink and swim.
Things done without – are done within.

I can raise my self-esteem
and make things ‘be’ how they should seem. 
I miss the bliss of wistful schemes
when once awakened from my dreams.

                                      B. Withers 1994

Reply by HenryM, on Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:57 am
Two bags wrote:

I've had some really crazy dreams in the past,  when I'm not happy, or having a bout of depression, they are usually nightmares, where I'm in a fight, I always win these fights I'm in, and they are always with somebody I used to know. Or, I wake up talking or yelling loudly, but the words don't make any sense, when I hear myself, they are just sounds. 

When I am happy, and life is good, I have great dreams, about riding motorcycles, or seeing old friends from the old days.  In all my dreams, I don't have stomas.  One thing I find fascinating, is that if I'm having a wonderful dream and I wake up,  I can nearly always go back to that dream and continue it,  even if I wake up and need to go to the bathroom to empty, I can still go back to that same dream, by thinking about it as I go back to sleep.  Of course there are bad dreams too, where I don't want to continue thinking about it. When that's the case, I usually have to get up and go watch a bit of TV, before I go back to sleep.  Dreaming is a strange thing,  can be both good and bad.


The fact that you can return to a dream after a wake up sounds unusual and something to be envied.  I think that I've done that, but I can't swear to it.  But I totally agree that the dream life is about as strange as it gets.  Sometimes I think that, if there is an "afterlife," it'll be like a dream.  I'm on a bike often too, usually my old Triumph (but not always).

Reply by HenryM, on Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:00 am
Bill wrote:

Hello HenryM.
Thanks again for another 'memorable' post. I have always thought of dreams as an extension of ‘free-range’ thinking. From an early age, I set about taking control of my dreaming processes and managed to develop techniques whereby I could control my dreams in a similar fashion to the way I control the writing of stories in my books. The dreams then become a ‘creative’ process, rather than an uncontrolled experience.
Best wishes
Bill


Needless to say, I tried to capture the concept in verse- - so you have given me yet another opportunity to share a long-lost rhyme on the subject:


IN MY DREAMS.
I can love, I can hate
and control my form and fate.
Whilst there I share and innovate,
mend and bend and reinstate.

I go anywhere and do anything,
actor, banker, craftsman, king.
I laugh and cry and sink and swim.
Things done without – are done within.

I can raise my self-esteem
and make things ‘be’ how they should seem. 
I miss the bliss of wistful schemes
when once awakened from my dreams.

                                      B. Withers 1994


Another fine poem.  You gotta love a guy who says "whilst."  

Reply by Maried, on Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:39 am

I have the bathroom dreams too.. I cannot find a nice clean bathroom stall to empty my bag in the stall has no door, or the toilet is already overflowing with poop , or will not flush ..while I am searching ..my bag becomes bigger filling with poop ready to burst! The other strange dream is I enter a public bus naked and just calmly walk down the isle to my seat hoping no one saw me.. in my dream I have no Ostomy... 

Reply by HenryM, on Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:10 am
Maried wrote:

I have the bathroom dreams too.. I cannot find a nice clean bathroom stall to empty my bag in the stall has no door, or the toilet is already overflowing with poop , or will not flush ..while I am searching ..my bag becomes bigger filling with poop ready to burst! The other strange dream is I enter a public bus naked and just calmly walk down the isle to my seat hoping no one saw me.. in my dream I have no Ostomy... 


I suppose Freud would say that the dream means that, if you could be without ostomy again, you'd walk down the aisle of the bus naked.  Question:  would it be worth being arrested for indecent exposure?  LOL

Reply by Padfoot, on Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:42 am

Henry, bear in mind that Freud is not exactly relevant anymore. He was the pioneer: the purpose of the pioneer is to blaze the trail. It is the job of those who come after to tidy up the trail and define its parameters more clearly.  The trail is much tidier now that so much time has elapsed since Freud was in practice. If you read the book, I would suggest you take it with a grain (or two) of salt. Freud will always be a pioneer of psychiatry; for that, he will be forever remembered. 

Dreams are the method by which the subconscious mind continues to work on things while we are asleep. My husband and I start every morning with coffee, newspaper, and dream analysis. In that order.  We love to look at how our subconscious minds present what issues are important to us, and how we try to resolve them. Dreams are rich with symbolism - they should never be taken literally. Now that we are in a pandemic, I often dream of finding myself in a foreign land against my will, with unseen dangers, while trying to find a way home. It's just me, out of my element, trying to figure out how to return to the way things were before the pandemic. 

Laurie

Reply by Padfoot, on Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:11 pm
Maried wrote:

I have the bathroom dreams too.. I cannot find a nice clean bathroom stall to empty my bag in the stall has no door, or the toilet is already overflowing with poop , or will not flush ..while I am searching ..my bag becomes bigger filling with poop ready to burst! The other strange dream is I enter a public bus naked and just calmly walk down the isle to my seat hoping no one saw me.. in my dream I have no Ostomy... 


Being naked in a dream conveys vulnerability - you feel exposed in front of others for some reason. You are on a bus - a perfectly normal thing that a normal person does all the time (you are engaging in normal behaviour).  That you have no ostomy in the dream suggests that you are trying to be just like you presume everyone else is. But... you are hoping that no one else notices. That suggests that you know you are different, but you don't want others to see you as different. Maried, it sounds like this dream was about figuring out how you now fit in the world, now that you have an ostomy. You are trying to present yourself as no different, but you are afraid of being exposed as an imposter. So you see this as a kind of test - can you engage in perfectly normal behaviours, like you did before your ostomy, without somebody calling you out? This is exactly the kind of dream I would expect anyone who has been through a life altering experience to have, and I have had many similar ones. I also wouldn't be surprised to see you (or anyone) revisit this theme, long after you feel on a conscious level, that you have dealt with the issue. Things have a way of lingering, to be dealt with, more fully, as we mature, or even when we don't have more pressing issues to deal with. When I used to counsel children, I would give them this analogy: if someone gives you a pie, you are unlikely to eat the whole pie in one sitting. You are more likely to take a slice, and put the rest in the back of the fridge, and take it out again when you're ready for another slice. And this will continue until the pie is gone, but it might have many, many slices. This dream is a way of eating one of those slices.

 

Laurie

Reply by HenryM, on Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:15 pm
Padfoot wrote:

Henry, bear in mind that Freud is not exactly relevant anymore. He was the pioneer: the purpose of the pioneer is to blaze the trail. It is the job of those who come after to tidy up the trail and define its parameters more clearly.  The trail is much tidier now that so much time has elapsed since Freud was in practice. If you read the book, I would suggest you take it with a grain (or two) of salt. Freud will always be a pioneer of psychiatry; for that, he will be forever remembered. 

Dreams are the method by which the subconscious mind continues to work on things while we are asleep. My husband and I start every morning with coffee, newspaper, and dream analysis. In that order.  We love to look at how our subconscious minds present what issues are important to us, and how we try to resolve them. Dreams are rich with symbolism - they should never be taken literally. Now that we are in a pandemic, I often dream of finding myself in a foreign land against my will, with unseen dangers, while trying to find a way home. It's just me, out of my element, trying to figure out how to return to the way things were before the pandemic. 

Laurie


I appreciate the lesson, counselor.  i actually take everything with a grain or two of salt, including myself. 

Reply by Padfoot, on Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:51 pm
HenryM wrote:
Padfoot wrote:

Henry, bear in mind that Freud is not exactly relevant anymore. He was the pioneer: the purpose of the pioneer is to blaze the trail. It is the job of those who come after to tidy up the trail and define its parameters more clearly.  The trail is much tidier now that so much time has elapsed since Freud was in practice. If you read the book, I would suggest you take it with a grain (or two) of salt. Freud will always be a pioneer of psychiatry; for that, he will be forever remembered. 

Dreams are the method by which the subconscious mind continues to work on things while we are asleep. My husband and I start every morning with coffee, newspaper, and dream analysis. In that order.  We love to look at how our subconscious minds present what issues are important to us, and how we try to resolve them. Dreams are rich with symbolism - they should never be taken literally. Now that we are in a pandemic, I often dream of finding myself in a foreign land against my will, with unseen dangers, while trying to find a way home. It's just me, out of my element, trying to figure out how to return to the way things were before the pandemic. 

Laurie


I appreciate the lesson, counselor.  i actually take everything with a grain or two of salt, including myself. 

That is the recipe for happiness 😀!! 

 

Laurie

Reply by Puppyluv56, on Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:03 pm

I rarely have dreams, that I remember anyway. I have never had a dream about a stoma. May not have had a dream since getting an Ostomy. BUT, I have had many dreams In my life that have come true. Not usually good dreams either! 
Strange but seeing this post has me realizing that I have not dreamt, that I can remember in the morning, in years.  On the other side, I have not slept a solid night through In years either, wake up constantly all night, maybe never getting to some good REM! 

Interesting. 
Pup

Reply by xnine, on Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:45 pm

From an old post. Had my first stolma dream. I was taking my bag off and my stolma fell off like a baby’s belly button. Kind of weird. Then later on I had another dream or nightmare. My stolma was spouting blood like a fire hose. Just a dream, just a dream.

What bus route was that.



Last edited by xnine on Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply by Maried, on Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:51 pm
xnine wrote:

Had another dream or nightmare. My stolma was spouting blood like a fire hose. Just a dream, just a dream.

That is a nightmare!!

Reply by HenryM, on Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:54 pm
xnine wrote:

From an old post. Had my first stolma dream. I was taking my bag off and my stolma fell off like a baby’s belly button. Kind of weird. Then later on I had another dream or nightmare. My stolma was spouting blood like a fire hose. Just a dream, just a dream.

What bus route was that.


Wow.  Wow!  

Reply by she76wolf, on Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:25 am

I have always had crazy dreams. I can remember my dreams as far back as 4 years old. I remember my dreams every night and the only time I don't dream is when I'm sick with the flu or something of the like. I've been told throughout my life that I need to write a book regarding my dreams...and yes Freud would've had a field day with me. Lol

Reply by HenryM, on Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:52 am
she76wolf wrote:

I have always had crazy dreams. I can remember my dreams as far back as 4 years old. I remember my dreams every night and the only time I don't dream is when I'm sick with the flu or something of the like. I've been told throughout my life that I need to write a book regarding my dreams...and yes Freud would've had a field day with me. Lol


I wonder what the relationship might be between your "crazy dreams" and what you describe as your "warped sense of humor."  Perhaps they're cousins.  :)

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.
All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Currently online: 9    
4 members & 5 visitors
kmedup (f)
 
 
Welcome to MeetAnOstoMate - the largest online community for people with an ostomy.
If you have questions or just want to meet and chat with others, join us and enjoy our great community.