Grateful for the Amazing Community!

Replies
Views
Lily17

Good morning, O'mates

I was just looking back through all the topics that have been posted since I joined this site; the first was dated 9/6/2020, so I joined a month ago!

During this time, I have read so many interesting posts regarding not only ostomy-related topics or dating, but life. From thoughts about daily miracles, to observations on seemingly mundane subjects, to laughter-evoking reflections, each item and each response are jewels.

A couple of weeks ago I was on the website when what got my sudden and undivided attention were the pictures of other members shown across the top of my computer monitor. Gazing upon them, what I saw was...people. Not ostomates. Just people. People from every walk of life around this globe who are living their lives the best they can, and connecting with others.

I am grateful for all of you adding your perspectives on life - its trials, triumphs, tragedies, joys, tears, laughter - through the lens of MeetAnOstomate.org.

Make it an amazing day! :)

Lily17

iMacG5

Hi Lily. I think you correctly identified us. Many of us thought our personal lives would change to being unrecognizable except as someone who wears a bag. How pitiful. Because of MAO, folks like you and other wise, compassionate participants we learned we’re still people. Maybe even better than we were during our pain, suffering and whatever crap brought us to need the procedure.
Thanks for the reminder. It’s nice to have you for a teammate.
Mike

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

w30bob

Hi L,

Yeah, it's a pretty amazing (and unique) site. Full of quite a cast of characters. But you did catch the most important aspect of this site.....and that's folks just being themselves and overcoming things that would humble most of the rest of the population. And they do it without expecting any sort of recognition or gratitude. We're all just lucky they share their wisdom with the rest of us. Like most toads, this site has a few warts, but most can look past the trees and see the forest. Seems we're getting a LOT of new members lately..............guess that's a good thing.........but also means they're making lots of new ostomates......which isn't a good thing. Oh well.........welcome to the circus! It's a great show!

Regards,

Bob

Past Member

Lovely idea for a forum topic, Lily. Gratitude is the ingredient that can help someone cope with a life-altering situation and help them reframe what has happened. Without it, the tendency is to spiral downward into negativity and bitterness. Most (not all) of us didn't relish the idea of an ostomy prior to our surgery. Coping with the loss of the way things were is a process that we have no choice but to engage in; coming to gratitude for what we have, rather than what we had, is part of the healing. Thanks for pointing out that you saw just people in those photos. You are absolutely right.

Laurie

Maried

Yep... just a bunch of old and young folks... these forums have been so useful. You feel so alone because very few people have an ostomy.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
TerryLT

Hi Lily, I second everything you have said. How lucky we all are to have this "place" to connect. And welcome!

Cheers,

Terry

bowsprit

You have expressed it all so nicely and precisely. You lucky ones have access to information and medical care that is not available here, or at least is not of the same standard. By keeping my eyes and ears open, I have learned a lot from the people on these pages. So, the gratitude that you have expressed so well is reiterated from the resident of a far away land who has had his share of the trials and tribulations that this affliction entails.

Bill

Hello Lilly.

Thanks for this post which reminds us that we are just 'normal' people. I agree with everything you say and that goes for all the other contributers to this post.  There is another aspect to osomy related 'gratitude' which I expressed some time ago in my rhyme by the same name, that is gratitude for the stoma, for without it I might be much worse off than I have been since.

Best wishes

Bill 

kmedup

Thanks for this post, Lily.

For several years, I had been posting on this site, contacting ostomy groups, and advertising on Kijiji - for someone who would take - not buy - my extra ostomy pouches. I have a weird but great insurance system that when you decrease the amount you currently get, it takes eons to increase the amount again if needed. You have to go through medical bureaucratic red tape.

Like medication or medical conditions on a trip abroad ... at my age, I have to be free of any new conditions and not taking any new medications for one year before I travel, so I have had to keep getting my old prescription - and not take it - to keep my situation identical each travel year. Insurance works in crazy ways sometimes.

I had a buildup of supplies, and one time, sadly, I had to throw a bunch of pouches out. I live in a small place.

I am so grateful now because one ostomate on this site said that they would take any extra bags - so grateful as I really disliked wasting them. So now every so many months, I mail that person my extra supplies. I wonder if this is how government works too.

How cool is that? :) Just, K

Lily17

Hi, Bob.

A WOCN who frequently joined our ROA support group meetings said that she had witnessed a marked increase in the number of ostomy surgeries performed over the previous year. Just an anecdote to support your observation of many new members on this site of late. (It may also be due to word getting out about this amazing community! :)

Science has yet to pinpoint one or more causes for the variety of autoimmune diseases leading so many of us to this site. And for those of us that search for concrete answers to our "Why?", and believe in causation...that lack of a black-and-white, this-is-why-you-became-sick discovery can be a hard thing to accept. Until that scientific answer is determined, I will - for lack of a more genteel term - suck it up and deal. Keep living my life, one blessed day at a time, and keep moving forward.

I am somewhat dismayed to think that an ever-increasing percentage of our world population will be dealing with this life-change, and all that may imply.

However, on the other side of the proverbial coin, yes, I think - in a broader perspective - it is a very good thing: it is wonderful to know that another ostomate has survived their pre-surgical medical condition and/or the incident requiring an ostomy! Another person is still on the sunshine-side of the turf, may be aided by those of us with experience on how to transition and thrive, and who - in time - may pass that compassion and assistance forward to others in the same situation.

I have cheated Death several times since my Ulcerative Colitis diagnosis, and know, without question, that I wouldn't be typing these words tonight if I hadn't had the amazing & undying support of family & friends, great medical teams, the scientific & medical advances of our era, understanding employers and last, but not least, the wisdom of the resilient ostomates I have encountered for whom I have tremendous respect and admiration.

I couldn't have gotten through my challenges alone - and I wouldn't want to.

Be well, Bob, and thank you for being here.

Lily17