Hot tub use after surgery?

Replies
Views
Daanders

I was wondering if anyone goes in the hot tub. I had my surgery in February 2019. We shut down the hot tub. I was wondering if it is okay to use. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Past Member

Daanders, while I am not a hot tub person myself, I don't know why there would be a problem using a hot tub. The hot water might have a negative effect on the seal of your barrier, so you might have to take extra precautions there. Hopefully some hot tub aficionados will weigh in on this.

Laurie

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,468 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

xnine

Yes. I usually only put my legs in, but you can submerge yourself. Set a time limit. If your bag is tight before you go in, it should be good to go. Use flange extenders for extra security. If it is too hot for your toes, it is too hot for your stoma. Take care and have fun.

Maried

Hot tubbing is great... just use waterproof tape around your barrier.

Bill

I don't know about hot-tubbing but I have a hot bath every morning and my stoma is okay. I don't wear a bag so cannot comment on this aspect. 

As with all things stoma related, it's best to just try things and see if they work for you. there is little to lose and much to gain in terms of lifestyle and experience. 

Best wishes

Bill

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Past Member

Jump in, relax, and enjoy.

lovely

I was worried if the high heat against the stoma would cause problems, not too worried about the bag.

Puppyluv56

A hot tub is awesome. I have been in many and never had any issues. As a matter of fact, it is very therapeutic!
But as Padfoot said, take precautions for the integrity of your seal. Maybe a barrier strip. They tend to become gooey though. Just don't get in immediately after changing your appliance. Give it time to get a good seal. Since you have a hot tub at home, you can experiment. Crank it up and enjoy!

Puppyluv

Riva

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy. Remember to stay hydrated.

Axl

Geronimo .................(Big Splash)

Yancey

I enjoy the hot tub as often as possible. I've had my colostomy for 21 years now due to colon cancer and I've never had any problem at all and drink my beer or wine while I'm doing it!! People with me think it's funny cause it floats to the top and wiggles around. You gotta laugh and enjoy yourself as much as you can. You just empty your bowels a little differently from most people. No big deal! Enjoy life!!

jmagnus1

Just got out. I sit in mine every night during the winter and have never had any issues. Good luck and enjoy!

suzeekew

And, don't use the deodorizer in the bag right after you've applied your system. The seal needs to happen first. The appliance is apt to leak if you add liquid into just applied bag.

Suzeekew nbsp

Puppyluv56

Suz, never thought of that being an issue. I don't use anything like that but nice to know in the event things change! Thanks

Pup

Past Member

Yes. Do it!