Back Pain

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Baglady80

It's been 4 months since my colonectomy due to diverticulitis. I had 60 removed. They waited too long to do surgery and it burst. And I got septic shock, on a ventilator for 8 days, almost died. 3 weeks in the hospital, 12-inch incision that got a large abscess on it 6 weeks later, 3 more days in the hospital, and tested positive for COVID. I am now having a lot of lower back pain and the area under my boobs to my belly button is still painful. The surgeon just ignores me when I ask. He says, "You have been through a lot, it takes time." Anyone else out there suffer from back pain? I will appreciate any comments or suggestions. Tired of feeling like a truck hit me.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,086 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Lily17

Hello, Baglady.

I have an ileostomy and no back pain, but may I say this: Yes, it does sound as though your body has been through a lot of trauma, and rather recently. If you are not getting the answers you want from your surgeon, get another surgeon's opinion. Forward a copy of your medical surgical records in advance so the new surgeon can review your history prior to your consultation.

I'm so sorry you are having these difficulties and hope that you find relief soon.

Lily17

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Puppyluv56

Wow, you have been through a great deal! I am an advocate for a second opinion as well. I do have a lot of back pain, but it is from some arthritis and a car accident. When you have so many things going on, it is hard to tell what is causing the pain. Give yourself time to adjust. And if the pain persists, see another doctor!

Puppyluv

Bill

Hello Baglady80. 

Thanks for sharing you story as it gives us a chance to contemplate someone else's problems apart from our own!

It seems as if you surgery was not that long ago that you wouldn't expect after effects to still come into play, which is probably why the surgeon doesn't seem to be taking too much notice. You would possibly get a more informed and sympathetic response from a post-op stoma nurse, who would be more familiar with the after effects of surgery.

Sorry to hear that you are suffering in this way and I DO HOPE THAT YOU RESOLVE YOUR ISSUES SOON.

However, I do have one more observation for you to consider and that is the reported symptoms of what is called 'LONG-COVID'.  A couple of these symptoms include chest pains and muscle/joint aching (among several other symptoms like - 'feeling like a truck has hit you!'). This could easily manifest itself as back-pain and chest pain. From what I have heard thus far, long-covid is not uncommon in people who have had the Covid 19 disease, even when the original onset did not affect them too badly. It might be enlightening for you to look up the symptoms on one of the more reliable medical websites. 

Best wishes

Bill 

TerryLT

Hi Baglady, you have been through so much and there are a few variables here to complicate things. I agree with all the advice you have been given, including Bill's, that this could be Covid related. I have also heard too many stories of people who were not listened to by their medical professionals, sent home with painkillers, or told they are imagining things. I believe in listening to your body, and that no one, medical professionals included, can know better than you what you are feeling. If something doesn't feel right to you, you should get another opinion and don't give up until you find someone who will listen to you. We had a case in our local news here where a woman who had a simple procedure (a cyst drained) that caused a staph infection. She started experiencing pain and returned to the hospital that had done the original procedure several times, only to be sent home with painkillers and told it was nothing, several times. She died a couple of weeks later. We need to advocate for ourselves! Good luck to you and please let us know how things turn out for you.

All the best,

Terry

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister