Ostomy Memories Ben Franklin Mornings

Replies
Views
HenryM

There are two kinds of people in the world: those who get out of bed when they wake up, and those who don’t. Ben Franklin loved mornings. Perhaps his most oft-quoted aphorism applies: EARLY TO BED AND EARLY TO RISE, MAKES A MAN HEALTHY, WEALTHY, AND WISE. Well, perhaps not all three these days, but you get the point. Who wants to stay in bed when there’s a world out there, waiting to be enjoyed? Franklin had another bon mot for that: LOST TIME IS NEVER FOUND AGAIN. He practiced what he preached. Benjamin Franklin accomplished so many things that Steve Jobs would look like an underachiever next to him. Perhaps you’ve heard that he invented bifocals. But he also brought us the lightning rod, swim fins, and the flexible urinary catheter.
When one starts out late, one plays catch up all day. What did Franklin say about that? He said: HE THAT RISETH LATE, MUST TROT ALL DAY, AND SHALL SCARCE OVERTAKE HIS BUSINESS AT NIGHT. But don’t be fooled into thinking that being up and busy means things are being accomplished. Some people spin like tops and get nowhere. Get organized and work smart otherwise you are wasting your time and the time of those interacting with you. The more your work impacts others at work, the more crucial it is that you manage your time wisely. Franklin knew this as a printer and newspaperman.
Sometimes it seems as if the mornings, when one is fresh and most eager to get after it, are the most productive time of one’s day. THE MUSES LOVE THE MORNING, Franklin said. Whether one is wielding a saw, pounding a computer keyboard, or delivering the goods, the beginning of one’s day always offers the prime time to be productive and at one’s best. Even when traveling, Franklin made productive use of his time. He crossed the Atlantic Ocean many times and mapped the Gulf Stream in the process.
Life – and opportunity – passes one by when one sleeps late. You always have the weekend for that sort of lying about, although I suspect Ben Franklin didn’t do weekends. He had too much going on in his life. THE SLEEPING FOX, he once said, CATCHES NO POULTRY. UP! UP! This accomplished 18th Century American was always up, it would seem. He invented a musical instrument he called the glass armonica. He also gave us the odometer and the “long arm,” a devise for reaching books on high shelves.
Franklin is sometimes incorrectly credited with inventing daylight savings time. But in line with his passion for taking advantage of every minute of his waking day, he once satirically wrote, for the benefit of late sleepers, that he’d discovered the sun actually begins shining as soon as it rises, a fact they presumably would not know. He mockingly proposed taxing people who kept their shutters closed, and ringing bells every morning at sunup to force folks to adjust their days according to the availability of sunlight. Daylight savings time, to Franklin, simply meant taking advantage of the existing daytime.
DOES THOU LOVE LIFE? Ben Franklin asked. THEN DO NOT SQUANDER TIME, FOR THAT’S THE STUFF LIFE IS MADE OF. With a mere 24 hours in each day, he had no occasion for wasteful pursuits. When he got older and became involved in the contemporary political scene, he contributed significantly to the creation of the Declaration of Independence. Keeping busy was good for him, as he lived to the ripe old age of 84. He never allowed even the coldest winters to slow him down. Who do you think invented the Franklin stove?

TerryLT

Hi Henry, you are assuming one thing here, that time spent in bed equals time sleeping! I am jealous of those who fall asleep immediately and sleep through the night, getting up refreshed and ready to take on the world. I have a vague memory of what that was like. I treasure the nights that I have what now passes for a "good night's sleep" and revel in the increased energy, the lifting of my general sense of well-being, the increased ability to focus, concentrate and manage my time. Sleep should never be taken for granted and I don't. So, please don't be too hard on those of us who don't leap out of bed at the crack of dawn full of piss and vinegar. Reading about Ben Franklin and all his accomplishments leaves me in awe. I hope you don't mind me offering one criticism though. The Franklin stove was/is a terribly inefficient appliance. I'm sure if old Ben had been around long enough he would have invented the "air tight" stove that came later.

Respectfully,

Terry

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,315 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

HenryM

I love your comments, Terry.  Perhaps like most ostomy people, I sleep fitfully, arise multiple times thru the night, and lay there contemplating "stuff" in between actual sleep time.  But I'm also an "early to bed, early to rise" person, so I'm naturally attracted to Ben Franklin's perspective.  Why am I not surprised that you know about the inefficiencies of the Franklin stove?  LOL  Stay warm.