Ostomy Memories of Little Things

Replies
Views
HenryM

THERE IS PLEASURE IN LITTLE THINGS. There was something tiny moving across my path yesterday morning. I just happened to look down, fortunately, to spot what was an ant carrying something upon his back that was clearly of importance to him. Bending over and peering down, I could not tell what it was. Something to eat that he was carrying home to share? A kind of building block to fit into his underground home? He and I both moved on. He had a burden and I had a visit to pay up the street. I felt as if I had witnessed something important. “What is life?” asked the Native American Crowfoot. “It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset.” People are often too busy to notice these small wonders that are all around them, but they are as much a part of the web of life as a streetcar or a concrete structure. More, perhaps, as they are living things. So, keep your eyes open. We all need to be microphiles.

lovely

Henry, you got me thinking about the purpose of the ant. Here is what I found on the web.

The Benefits of Ants

The benefit of having ants all over the planet isn't always obvious. However, researchers have discovered that they serve several key functions that help nature prosper.

They aerate the soil. Most ants dig tunnels through the ground that can get very widespread and intricate. These tunnels help moisture and air work their way through the soil so that the roots of plants can soak them up more easily.

They fertilize plants. Ants often use decaying foliage to build their nests. As a result, nutrients are added to the soil and nearby plants receive fertilization.

They help with pollination. As ants march around finding food, they pick up pollen. During their travels, ants distribute the pollen and inadvertently pollinate plants.

They help control other insects. Most ants prefer to eat food, but some like to prey on other insects. The appetite of ants has been known to help decrease the number of numerous insects that wreak havoc on lawns and gardens. Ants are also highly territorial and will fight off other insects and animals that get too close to their nest. For example, in Africa, scientists discovered that ants play a pivotal role in protecting acacia trees from other insects and animals. Best wishes and stay safe.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,369 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

HenryM

Lovely, Speaking of ants being territorial... I once witnessed an ant war.  It was just outside the house that I was staying in while i was in school.  Big ants vs. tiny ants, both red.  The little guys far outnumbered the big guys and won.  Somewhere in the roiling mix there must have been ant stretcher bearers, 'cause I didn't see any casualties laying about.  It was quite exciting to watch.  HenryM