Flare risk with COVID vaccine?

Replies
Views
forever mountains

Has anyone with IBD in remission experienced a flare after receiving a vaccine? My GI team suggested I go for the J&J because they were seeing flares after mRNA shots. Coveting the higher efficacy of the others.. What's your experience?

Maried

I have Crohn's and had a flare after the first vaccine, but not the second one.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

forever mountains

Thanks. I also have Crohn's. Hope you are feeling better.  

Past Member

I have CD, I had no symptoms after the first Moderna shot. I had fever, chills, and joint pain for 48 hours or so after the second shot, but my GI symptoms were stable after both.

forever mountains

Thanks!

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
w30bob

Hey forever,

My CD is in remission... or there's just no bowel left for it to come back to... but I got the J J shot early Sunday and NO side effects whatsoever. My arm wasn't even sore. In terms of efficacy... the J J is 100% effective at preventing hospitalization and death if you get the virus (which is really all I care about)... and is only one shot. Plus around here is more widely available... to the point of being walk-in to get it at any CVS or Walgreens.

Oh, if you're taking Humira... I've been told by my Gastro to get the shot either 2 days after injecting... or 2 days before injecting.

Regards,

Bob

Puppyluv56

I got the J&J too! It was easy with no side effects! 

Newbie Dana

Everybody in my family has gotten the 2-shot, either Pfizer or Moderna, with very similar side effects after the second shot - fever, listlessness, very mild nausea (stomach just didn't feel good, but no vomiting or diarrhea). But in all cases, the effects lasted only 1 day and then we all bounced back to normal the next day. Ostomy or no, seemed to make no difference. Mine was from cancer and a perforated colon, not IBD or Crohn's, though.

Marco789

I wouldn't know, I'll never take the "vaccine"

Blazest
Reply to Newbie Dana

I had absolutely no reaction to the vaccine. I got my first flu shot this year and did well other than an aching arm the next day. I'm quadruple vaxxed at this point but still wearing a mask. I'm amazed that so many people have just decided that the pandemic is over and are acting accordingly. This is my 3rd year (so far) not getting a cold or the flu, let alone Covid, and I intend to keep it that way. Regards.