Ostomy Memories of Real Time

Replies
Views
HenryM

THIS IS A RELATIVELY NEW TERM, to say something is taking place in REAL TIME. A countervailing term, one might think, would be fake time, which sounds kind of Trumpian. If one is watching something take place in real time, that means seeing it AS IT IS ACTUALLY HAPPENING. This would be opposed to, say, seeing it on the TV news later that day. This certainly seems to support the old saying about time being relative. I guess no one says “I saw it live” anymore. Or, “I was there when it happened.” A related odd use of an old word is when someone uses the word EXISTENTIAL to describe something that is currently an issue, typically as in “Covid is an existential threat to the country.” The word existential is an adjective that relates to existence, so in that sense I can see the use. But why not just say CURRENT? Or ACTIVE? Or, PRESENTLY? It’s a living language, and I’m attempting to keep up, but it gets tiring. So, I think I’ll go have an existential nap. In real time.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,086 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.