Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates Support | Friendship | Relationships

Alone. No one to ask questions. No support group. U Tube has been my only friend

Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:46 pm
How can I get old and new stains out of clothing and bed linens??< >
Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:39 pm
Hi Karen, Well.......you found us......so you're not alone anymore....and we're a decent support group....all things considered. I'm no expert in washing things, but I first try the normal stuff....Spray N Wash or Shout or OxiClean. The other more 'professional' method is mix baking soda with water to form a thick paste. Make sure the stain area is damp......wet it then ring it out as best you can. Then put the baking soda and water paste on the stained area and just let it dry completely. Once it's completely dry brush the powder off the stained area........and if all goes well the baking soda and water mix should have lifted the stain from the fabric and been brushed away. This all takes some time, which is why I try the spray cleaners first.......cuz I'm lazy. regards, bob
Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:53 pm
Hi Karen, glad you found this site. Bob gave you pretty good tips. Old stains will be hard to get out if at all. Try to get things washed before the stain sets and they should come out fairly well. Oxy clean is pretty good. You can also put some peroxide in with your detergent. It may take a few times to get them out. Use really warm water. Good luck Rebecca
Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:36 pm
me I suggest you check out UOAA, United Ostomy Association of America. Itís our National organization. There you will learn about foods, blockages skin care, clothing , products, travel, activities , and a whole host of other tricks of the trade. You might also want to check out a local support group near you . Just remember you are not alone on this new journey of yours. Best of luck.
Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:42 pm
You can ask any questions you want. People are hear to help you and anybody else. Have you ďGoogledĒ about stain removal? I usually go there first. If helpful, I share the info for all of us. Contributing to us ostomates is really really helpful and appreciated. Have you used liquid chlorine bleach on your stains?? Sharon
Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:36 am
Hello karen. Welcome to this site - where you have already had some good advice regarding the staining problem. I don't have much experience in cleaning this sort of thing as, when and if I have staining, it is often far too bad to worry about washing - so my solution is to chuck it all out and start again. Fortunately for me, it doesn't happen very often. Also. I am a firm believer in 'prevention' rather than cure.(wherever possible) So, for the most part I use incontinence pads and other devices to try to avoid the staining problem. Sorry if my reply is not much help in answering your original question but it might be useful to get several different perspectives on these issues. Best wishes Bill
Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:33 am

Hi Karen i dont have an answer for stains but wanted to welcome you to the site, i,ve been an ostomate for 30 some years.

Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:20 am

Rub it down with a bar of soap. Works for me.

Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:50 am

New stains I use shower head and rinse with just cold water then just spray it with stain remover and put in washing machines everythings always comes out spotless

Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:01 am

Hi welcome to the site. Lot's of useful information given already try and put them on the hot wash after soaking in cold water and salt. XX

Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:02 am

Hi Karen,

X's post above reminded me about something.  If you use the commercial stain removers.......Spray N Wash, OxiClean or Shout......what I do is spray the stain and let it sit for a few minutes before putting it in the machine.  Then I let the machine fill with water (warm or hot) and then stop it when the water stops flowing into it (before the agitation starts) to let is sit for 10 minutes or so in the water.  Then I just resume the wash cycle.  Seems the sitting time helps the stains dissolve and the removers do their thing.  Time is your friend in this instance.  

regards,

bob

Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:27 pm

Karen. 

Glad you found this site. Lots of great help for any situation! 
i sometimes have the job of getting some grease out of my Husband's pants. I use Spray and wash and use a brush to get it I to the fibers. Using some sort of degreaser in the same manner also has helped. It takes me several times but I usually succeed. The née Dawn spray will be the next thing I try! It works wonders on baked on grease for the dishes. Will have to see what it does on clothes! 
Good luck! 
Puppyluv

JMC
Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:24 pm

The sun!  If you have access to a clothes-line direct sunlight can remove all kinds of stains.  Soak in a cold wash and then wash with warm/hot water (with whatever detergent you usually use) before hanging them out.

If all else fails next time buy bed linen in darker colours/patterns, stains are not as noticeable and as long as their clean no problems!

Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:07 am

w30bob wrote:   Hi Karen, Well.......you found us......so you're not alone anymore....and we're a decent support group....all things considered. I'm no expert in washing things, but I first try the normal stuff....Spray N Wash or Shout or OxiClean. The other more 'professional' method is mix baking soda with water to form a thick paste. Make sure the stain area is damp......wet it then ring it out as best you can. Then put the baking soda and water paste on the stained area and just let it dry completely. Once it's completely dry brush the powder off the stained area........and if all goes well the baking soda and water mix should have lifted the stain from the fabric and been brushed away. This all takes some time, which is why I try the spray cleaners first.......cuz I'm lazy. regards, bob  

Hi Karen... I use straight  out the bottle peroxide..pour on use brush to scrub a little .or let soak .don't  need much .

Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:19 am

Doublebagger wrote:  

Hi Karen... I use straight  out the bottle peroxide..pour on use brush to scrub a little .or let soak .don't  need much .

Hey Karen

Like double bagger I use peroxide!

Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:28 am

I only use peroxide/ baking soda paste . Works on everything 

Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:07 am

Hi Karen!

Mee too! Peroxide removes protein stains really well.

E& I

Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:41 am

Bill wrote:

Hello karen. Welcome to this site - where you have already had some good advice regarding the staining problem. I don't have much experience in cleaning this sort of thing as, when and if I have staining, it is often far too bad to worry about washing - so my solution is to chuck it all out and start again. Fortunately for me, it doesn't happen very often. Also. I am a firm believer in 'prevention' rather than cure.(wherever possible) So, for the most part I use incontinence pads and other devices to try to avoid the staining problem. Sorry if my reply is not much help in answering your original question but it might be useful to get several different perspectives on these issues. Best wishes Bill

I am with the incontinence pads, however for me I bought waterproof crib protectors, it saves my sheets and stays in place. Welcome to the site, always room for another buddy.

* Please, do not post contact information, personal information or advertising.