Stoma size growth: Should I switch to a larger barrier?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses whether to switch to a larger barrier due to stoma size growth, with participants sharing their experiences and advice.
keepers51

I have received such great solutions from the members. Thank you!

Now...I have had my ostomy for about 23 months. It began in size as a narrow recessed 3/4" slit. Since then, it has slowly grown to the point my 'cut to fit' Hollister soft convex barrier is now being cut almost to the limit. That is 1-1/2" but not a perfect circle. Still, with the convexity, is it advisable to go up in size to the 2"? Or is this too unusual to ignore? Since receiving my stoma, except for the first couple weeks of coming home, I have not sought any professional advice nor has any professional advice been offered. I've relied on information from this site and the internet to care for myself. I measure the stoma size and shape with every barrier change. The size has steadily increased incrementally, not suddenly.

I cut my opening very carefully and have no issues with wear or leaking. I'm getting 5 to 7 days wear with no problems at all, so everything is working satisfactorily.

Has anyone experienced a similar steady stoma growth and changed barrier size?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,091 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

lovely

I have only had a small increase in size. I use Hollister supplies and only have to cut my wafer to the second line. That makes it just a little bigger than my colon. I use the 1 1/2 size

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Bill

Hello keepers51.

Have you tried contacting Hollister about this issue? Most manufacturers have a team including nurses and product developers who are only too pleased to discuss 'real-life' problems, and help to find solutions. I use Coloplast products and they often remind me that they welcome such discussions from ostomates as this is the way that they see their product range being improved. 

Best wishes

Bill  

keepers51

Of course. That's what I will do.

w30bob

Hi keeps,

What you're seeing is normal. I'm at the limit of my Hollister convex barrier, and I cut that bitch right to the edge on 2 sides. If your stoma is oval, like mine, it means the intestine is leaning........not unusual. Mine grew for the first 4-5 years and has now stabilized in size (for now). The Hollister folks will hook you right up, as suggested above. If not just shout.

Later,

Bob

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
keepers51

Thanks, Bob. I have an email in to them.