Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates Support | Friendship | Relationships

Itchy Stoma (no - Im English)

Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:44 pm
I've been irrigating for the last eight years with an electric pump. I've noticed that often, when I take my cap off, there has been a (little) bleeding on the underside of the Stoma where it meets the skin. But it itches, IT ITCHES. . . IT ITCHES ! !.  I think that it might be because I insert the irrigation cone into the stome. Has anybody else had any such probelm ?< >  < >
These are the top 5 issues ostomates face:

1. Dating and relationships
2. Concealing the pouch
3. Foods to eat and avoid
4. Losing or gaining weight
5. Pouch ballooning

Check out this video from MeetAnOstoMate.
Past Member
Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:04 pm
Hi, I don't irrigate but I rinse my bag with water and sometimes it irritates the edges of the stoma and bleeds. Sometimes it bleeds a lot. It itches a lot or when a hair gets pulled under the adhesive. As far as the bleed area I use stoma powder and soon the itching stops. You will get other answers that may be very helpful.
Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:11 pm
For itching, try ice cube on that area between applications. Also, OTC cortisone will relieve the itching. Sharon
Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:53 am
Thanks for the suggestions so far. Never quite sure about putting creams near the Stoma.
Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:30 am
Hi there. A little bleeding where the stoma meets the skin is not unusual (for me at least!).I would not put it down to the cone - as I don't use that device. It is much more likely to be a result of the cap (or plug) being in place for lengthy periods of time and, either rubbing occasionally or creating a semi-permanent sweaty patch, which would be much more vulnerable to splitting. My solution is to leave off using my plugs for a while to allow things to heal up. I also change every day and make sure I wash thoroughly around the stoma without rubbing it to make things worse. I do this by using a cup-shaped utensil that one of the manufacturers provided me with at the outset of my stoma experience. This is ideal for half filling with warm water and shaking up and down over the stoma so that it dislodges any grot without disturbing the skin. I have often wondered what I would do if I did not have this device and have decided that the plastic containers that my prawns come in are almost the same shape and size- so this would be my fall-back position. Over the years, I have given up worrying about minor bleeds, as they happen so often and they heal up almost as quickly as they appear. Here's hoping you find a solution to yours. Best wishes Bill
Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:14 pm

Hi Bill.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Its good to know that the squashed tomato causes other people minir bleeding issues.

John

Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:26 pm

Good evening Sir,

Have you thought about changing companies for your cap?

You know we are getting older and older :(:(  and our body is changing and maybe you are intolerant to this product now.

Good luck from Quebec, Canada 

Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:40 am

Thanks so much for the comments and advice. I'm new to the site and didnt realise people cold be so friendly. Im trying not to do 'old

Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:12 pm

Douglas john wrote:

Thanks so much for the comments and advice. I'm new to the site and didnt realise people cold be so friendly. Im trying not to do 'old

Hi friend,

I am also very very itchy around stoma, sometimes. Told it was scar tissue as my stoma is flat. I sometimes take pouch off n apply cortisone cream, just for relief, just for awhile. Then clean off cream n reapply another pouch. I saw you questioned gal about using cortisone cream around stoma, but never bothered me either. Best wishes

Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:32 pm

Hi Cat.

Thanks so much for the advice. After irrigating I always wash my Stoma and keep the pad off to let air get to it.

Somehow I still get a bit of bleeding and itching round the edge. At times worse than others. I've tried doing what you do, but with antisceptic cream round the edge of it, then washing it off after a few minutes. Its not a 'show Stopper' just irritating.

The pleasures of having a Colostomy, Hi Ho, but its better then the alternative.

Douglas

Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:09 pm

If I don't get the area up against my stoma perfectly dry snd get every bit of slim off the wafer lifts there and stuff gets under it. That's acid you are feeling. Fit must be perfect as well. If I don't get it right first time I rip it off znd do it again part of the fun of all this, 

Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:50 am

Hi.  LOL LOL

I like your idea of fun. . . 

D

Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:31 pm

Have you tried benadryl itch stopping gel non greasy have to let dry complete before putting anything over it.I have itchy itchy skin under the flange of my bag the cloth type part even with the bag already on l have put this over it. Also if your stoma skin is completely healed no rawness l use a q tip with alcohol if there is a tinge of fungus amount us lol it seems to get rid of itch. My nurse who comes once a week to see me says if not fungus dry skin can be it Also so l lightly scrub around stoma not on stoma to get dead skin off. Good luck with that itch , l told my daughter l look like a dog going after a flea. Take Care Carol

Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:31 pm

Hi.

I love the image of you scratchng like a dog chasing a flea.

I kmow that feeling. . . 

Thanks for thinking about me.

D

* Please, do not post contact information, personal information or advertising.