Stoma Itching and Bleeding: Irrigation Cone Insertion Issue?

Replies
Views
Douglas john

I've been irrigating for the last eight years with an electric pump. I've noticed that often, when I take my cap off, there has been a (little) bleeding on the underside of the stoma where it meets the skin. But it itches, it itches... it itches!! I think that it might be because I insert the irrigation cone into the stoma. Has anybody else had any such problem?

Past Member

Hi,
I don't irrigate but I rinse my bag with water and sometimes it irritates the edges of the stoma and bleeds. Sometimes it bleeds a lot.

It itches a lot or when a hair gets pulled under the adhesive. As far as the bleed area, I use stoma powder and soon the itching stops.

You will get other answers that may be very helpful.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,470 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Deziner

For itching, try an ice cube on that area between applications.
Also, OTC cortisone will relieve the itching.
Sharon

Douglas john

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Never quite sure about putting creams near the stoma.

Bill
Hi there.
A little bleeding where the stoma meets the skin is not unusual (for me at least!).I would not put it down to the cone - as I don't use that device. It is much more likely to be a result of the cap (or plug) being in place for lengthy periods of time and, either rubbing occasionally or creating a semi-permanent sweaty patch, which would be much more vulnerable to splitting. My solution is to leave off using my plugs for a while to allow things to heal up. I also change every day and make sure I wash thoroughly around the stoma without rubbing it to make things worse. I do this by using a cup-shaped utensil that one of the manufacturers provided me with at the outset of my stoma experience. This is ideal for half filling with warm water and shaking up and down over the stoma so that it dislodges any grot without disturbing the skin. I have often wondered what I would do if I did not have this device and have decided that the plastic containers that my prawns come in are almost the same shape and size- so this would be my fall-back position.
Over the years, I have given up worrying about minor bleeds, as they happen so often and they heal up almost as quickly as they appear.
Here's hoping you find a solution to yours.
Best wishes
Bill

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Douglas john

Hi Bill.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. It's good to know that the squashed tomato causes other people minor bleeding issues.

John

Shitt Happens

Good evening, sir,

Have you thought about changing companies for your cap?

You know we are getting older and older 😞 and our body is changing, and maybe you are intolerant to this product now.

Good luck from Quebec, Canada

Douglas john

Thanks so much for the comments and advice. I'm new to the site and didn't realize people could be so friendly. I'm trying not to do 'old

Cat6
Reply to Douglas john

Hi friend,

I am also very, very itchy around my stoma sometimes. I was told it was scar tissue as my stoma is flat. I sometimes take the pouch off and apply cortisone cream just for relief, just for a while. Then I clean off the cream and reapply another pouch. I saw you questioned the gal about using cortisone cream around the stoma, but it never bothered me either. Best wishes.

Douglas john

Hi Cat.

Thanks so much for the advice. After irrigating, I always wash my stoma and keep the pad off to let air get to it.

Somehow, I still get a bit of bleeding and itching around the edge. At times, it's worse than others. I've tried doing what you do, but with antiseptic cream around the edge of it, then washing it off after a few minutes. It's not a 'show stopper', just irritating.

The pleasures of having a colostomy, hi ho, but it's better than the alternative.

Douglas

walkervi1

If I don't get the area up against my stoma perfectly dry and get every bit of slime off the wafer lifts there and stuff gets under it. That's acid you are feeling. Fit must be perfect as well. If I don't get it right the first time, I rip it off and do it again. Part of the fun of all this.

Douglas john

Hi. LOL LOL.

I like your idea of fun...

D.

cburton027

Have you tried Benadryl Itch Stopping Gel? It's non-greasy and you have to let it dry completely before putting anything over it. I have itchy, itchy skin under the flange of my bag, the cloth-type part. Even with the bag already on, I have put this over it. Also, if your stoma skin is completely healed with no rawness, I use a Q-tip with alcohol if there is a tinge of fungus among us (lol). It seems to get rid of the itch. My nurse, who comes once a week to see me, says if it's not fungus, dry skin can be it also. So, I lightly scrub around the stoma (not on the stoma) to get dead skin off. Good luck with that itch! I told my daughter I look like a dog going after a flea. Take care, Carol.

Douglas john

Hi.

I love the image of you scratching like a dog chasing a flea.

I know that feeling...

Thanks for thinking about me.

D

Douglas john

Ouch! There's an advantage in being like a plum. Lol lol

Douglas john

Douglas john

Hi Mtnman. Do you not shave the skin under the adhesive patch? I do regularly, and even before cancer gave me 'tummy bum' I wasn't a fan of body hair. Now with a colostomy I definitely am not.

MTNMAN

Hi Douglas,
Yes, I shave around the stoma/adhesive area (I am very hairy). But I can't get every hair; they can be quite elusive. I certainly feel them under the adhesive when they get pulled on.

Douglas john