Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates Support | Friendship | Relationships

Black discharge sitting on the pot 😳 ??

Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:13 pm

So, today my stomach was hurting pretty bad. It felt like i had to go #2 really bad ..i mean i had that feeling in my Rectum like i was gonna poop, like i had to poop! 😳..but, that's impossible right? ..i was like Screw it and sat on the pot ..seriously, stuff started coming out Not a ton but not a little but either it was black and had a weird odor to it..when i finished i felt much better ... WTF? Is going on ..please ...i am sitting here debating on trying to call the Dr. or something ..but i feel fine .🤷🏾‍♂️

These are the top 5 issues ostomates face:

1. Dating and relationships
2. Concealing the pouch
3. Foods to eat and avoid
4. Losing or gaining weight
5. Pouch ballooning

Check out this video from MeetAnOstoMate.
Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:40 am

Hello T-Spoon.

In your post you do not specify when you had your stoma. Your symptoms seem typical of the healing process after a relatively new operation. Where the rectum is healing and the blood and mucus have been accumulating in the anal sack, it eventually comes out as you described. After the 'black-stuff', I had many months of discharge of old accumulated mucus which was all sorts of colours and smells. Eventually, I overcame the pain of this by anal irrigation (which I would not recommend to anyone without consulting a medic first). Once the programme of anal irrigation was complete, I ended up with a manageable amount of regular discharge of clear non-smelling mucus. This has never ceased and is simply now an ongoing part of my management programme.

If in doubt - consult the medics! (preferably a knowlegeable stoma nurse) 

Best wishes

Bill      

Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:53 am

Hi, T~

I agree with Bill:  What's going on is either part of "your new normal" or it is something to be addressed by your surgeon and/or GI doc.

It can't hurt to see your physician who can check under your hood and determine if something is wrong...or can tell you that all is okay, and ease your mind.

I had my end ileostomy with proctocolectomy in August 2017. Afterwards, I also had a good deal of pressure created by a buildup of mucus.  The anal discharge was either a light, opaque yellow or more clear.  The only time it was different was when during the healing process of having my rectum removed the B-shaped, titanium capillary clips applied by my surgeon came off one or more capillaries and were expelled through the anus along with just a little RED blood and some of the previously mentioned discharge.  Never was anything "black" or even dark-ish.  (I had more discharge right after my surgery, and it did lessen over time.  I think the 30+ titanium clips - that I know of - were physically irritating to the anal mucoid tisses, and the tissues created more mucus to help "flush out" the irritants.  I compare it to getting pollen into the sinuses - mucus is created to help flush that irritant out, too.)

However, we're all different.

I hope you can find out what's going on to help reduce your concerns.  And, please, let us know if you do!

Be Well/Better!

Lily17~

* Please, do not post contact information, personal information or advertising.