Ostomy Memories of Credulity

Replies
Views
HenryM

IN OUR OWN SPECIAL, OSTOMY WAY, we’re all health nuts on this site, so we should all be hyper-concerned about the viability and appropriateness of the vaccines being administered across the country. We ought to fear the misinformation loose in the land, and do the best that we can to counter it with facts, medical findings, and legitimate scientific data from reputable sources. In a word: truth. Unfortunately, there are a lot of credulous people out there who will believe anything. HUNDREDS OF PEOPLE RECENTLY GATHERED this past week in Dallas, where JFK was assassinated in 1963, believing that JFK Jr. was going to come back from the dead and become Donald Trump’s running mate in 2024. I cannot imagine what simpleminded, disappointed thoughts must have oozed through their heads when, amazingly, this contemporary reenactment of Lazarus did not occur as expected. Then there was the far-right newscaster on Newsmax who, addressing “Christians,” warned them that covid vaccines contain “a bioluminescent marker called LUCIFERACE so that you can be tracked.” These are just two recent examples of the extreme multiplicity of bizarre and nonsensical conspiracy theories making the rounds among people who also appear to believe that Trump himself is going to save them from the blood-drinking, baby devouring, pedophile Democrats. Somewhere there must be an identifiable line in the hazy, wavering space between stupidity and mental illness, but I’m having difficulty identifying it. Scoffing at this sort of simplistic, unbelievable idiocy is one’s initial reaction, but then one realizes how dangerous and frightening it is. Many of these QAnon dupes were in the crowd of insurrectionists that stormed the Capitol on Jan. 6th. As for me, so long as the vaccine saves me from the proven horrors of a Covid hospitalization and death, which it appears to be doing for millions of Americans, the government can put whatever sort of tracker into the vaccine they want. Following me will bore them silly.

Bill

Hello HenryM.
What and how people think and believe in stuff is quite a complex area of study and it’s really anyone’s guess as to the reasons behind why they think like they do.
My own take on the sorts of people you describe is that they are not all ‘unintelligent, stupid, moronic, idiots’. Therefore, there must be other explanations for their thought processes.
A reasonable contender (for me), might be that there is often a smidgeon of credibility in their line of reasoning, which gets focussed on, exaggerated, and elaborated upon until it becomes beyond ‘reason’.
This type of thinking/reasoning is often diagnosed as OCD – Obsessive Compulsive Disorder which, according to the psychiatric profession, is a ‘mental illness’.
I have thoroughly read through that profession’s diagnostic handbooks several times ( I could hardly believe it first time!), and came to the conclusion that there was nobody I knew (or had ever known), that did not fit their criteria for some kind of ‘mental illness’. Hence, this line of reasoning did not help a great deal in coming to any definitive conclusions about the weirder side of human thinking.
Another contender for explanatory purposes is the ‘sheep’ theory (which I have outlined before)
That is: Most of these people do not ‘think’ for themselves, but ‘follow’ instinctively (without thinking), those who do. Those ‘leaders’ (indeed most ‘leaders’) may well be described as having OCD. So, if as a society, we can have a ‘sensible’ criteria for stopping potentially damaging people from being ‘leaders’, then we might stand a better chance of having a more ‘sensible’ society.
I have just finished reading an article in the latest edition of 'The Psychologist' which expresses some of the concepts that I have thought were relevant for years. Given the tone of some of your own posts on MAO I felt that you might also be interested in what seems to be a well-presented argument for a fundamental change in how we select our leaders.
Given the subject of your present post, I felt we might as well share this with anyone else that might be interested!

https://thepsychologist.bps.org.uk/volume-34/november-2021/problem-pathocracy 

Best wishes
Bill

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,358 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

HenryM
Reply to Bill

Thanks, Bill, for posting that spot-on article.  I have a copy of "The Dangerous Case of Donald Trump" on my desk, edited by psychiatrist Bandy Lee, and containing the articles of 37 other psychiatrists and mental health professionals, so I'm quite familiar with the psychopathy Trump and others like him exhibit.  It amazes me that, even today, I've yet to see anyone in public life refer to Trump as mentally ill, which he so clearly is. 

Past Member

Hi Guys , great post HenryandthanksBill for yourthoughtful comment , Ireally love to see how other people , thinking human beingsrelate to this bizzareconfusion some people exhibitwhen they go " off the reservation "and wander intosomescary andobcessivethinking processes .

As you say there is a smidgen (?) of truth in some of thesebeliefs , theoriesanf franklybordering on insane beliefs . The Dealy Plaza / Grassy Knollpeople who gathered in Dallasfall into the mental illness category . If they had been focused on the assassinationof JFK and questioning the veracity of the official storyregarding the " lone shooter" conclsion , " the Magic Bullet "scenario then I would understandtheir position . A man named Cyril Wechthas written extensively on the JFKassassination and he makes a great case for an actual conspiracy . The Gulf of Tonkinincident that kick started a horrible war based on lies and false accounts of a US ship being targeted by the Vietmin . The Gulf War , George Senior 's and Colin Powel's( large cast of lying characters )foray into Fakery .which cost the lives , collectively , of hundreds of thousandsof people and the destruction of an entire country , weapons of Mass Destruction ( Distraction ) . These are conversations wortht of debate , IMHO!! There are Actual Conspiracies and there are contrived conspiracieswhich can whip people into a frenzy . Thealmost " mass psychosis "taking over in some groups and countries is a totally different kettle of fish !!

I think thatfundamentally people want to " Belong ", to be part o some big picture , like a Brotherhood /Sisterhood ofbelievers , sometimes this manifests as extreme religious beliefs , fanatical beliefsand sometimes it is a bizzarepurely secular or political beliefs, something which is True or Untrue but which all the group can subscribe to . The belief that izard People or Pedophileblood drinking , Baby Eatingbeings have taken over the country and must be stopped . I don't think the particular belief is as importantas the fact that the whole group is totally invested in this common belief . Being part of a bigger enterprisewith a common cause is the realuy important factor .

A Psychologystudents wrote his Thesis on theGuruwho has believers, followers who would literally follow their Guru over a cliff if told to do so . This student rented a storefront in LA . He got some puffy cushions to sit on , at the head of the group , grew his beard and hair long and got some Guru worthy robes . As soon as his newGuru business opened the doors people flocked to sit and hear som Guru type speeches etc etc , he played the part well . He was overwhelmed with followers in a vety short time who wanted him to show them how to live , to be a giod personetc etc .... They were kneeling at his feet begging for his advice . He called off the experiment when people wanted to give him all their money and possessionsand follow him .

Blind followers with a common almostcoherentfocus on something , anything to make themselves part of a Group . Some lonely mishiided souls who are lost .

Damn !! I have to get some sleep , back latet .

Eamon

TerryLT

Wow Henry,These are a couple of conspiracy theories I had not heard of!There are many that sound pretty crazy, but I have to say that the idea of JFK Jr. agreeing to be running mate to Donald Trump might just stretch the bounds of believability the most!!In what world, real or imagined, would that happen?

There was a recent poll conducted here in Canada, where those who remain unvaccinated were asked under what circumstances would they agree to be vaccinated. 43 of them said that there were "no circumatances" under which they would agree to be vaccinated. So, in effect, they were stating that even if they were given incontrovertible, irrefutable proof that the vaccines were safe and effective, were not part of a conspiracy, etc., they would still refuse to take it. So, what does that tell you?

Darwin is doing a fist pump somewhere.

Terry

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Past Member

You got that right Terrybut most of those people would never subscribe to the FACT of Evolution( not Theory ) . ...We're not Monkeysthey say !! . ..Turkeys voting for Christmas ..goggle ..gobble . The Stone Age people who rejected fire because it could possibly burn down their hut or even burn their fingersdeclaring ... "there has not been enough research into this evil Firething that you like so much, going to eat my meat raw and throw on another Bear skin ... What about having light when the big bright thing goes away at night??...If the Gods wanted me to be wandering around at night they would have given usnight vision !!! (....or flashlights but that would mean evil fake science lol " ) .

Darwin Rules!!

Caz67

Well if JFK did come back alive at least trump would have something in common which would be no brains cos most of JFK's was all over the pavement and car not to mention on the guerny. Sorry bit of my sick humour coming out. XX

Past Member

Hi Caz ,not JFK , JFK Junior . He died in a small private plane crash around Martha's Vinyard , his wife and her Sister also died in the crash . It was so Bizzare to see hindreds of people lining the streets at Dealy Plaza ( The Grassy Knollnearby )waiting forJFK,'sdead Sonto emerge at the spot where JFK( The President)was killed . Even more bizzare is the idea thatthese fantasist fanaticswere waiting for Trump and John Johncome come down the street holding hands to usher in a" New World Order " ( remember that one ?)With the new FascistUSAtaking the helm .

I ind it hilarious that people will now admit publicly that they believethis crazy shit ...."Alien Lizard baby born with three heads ..." type of headline. Through the Internetyou can find someone who agrees with any silly or downright insane belief . These people used to depend on Coast to Coast AMLate Night Radioto share their crazy beliefs and most would probably not share these beliefs in public or at the Christmas family dinner . They knew that there were fellow believers out there but never actually met very many ...or any at all. Suddenly the Internetcan bring these people together ( Trump ralliesetc and Alien Conventions !! ). Because there are a few thousand people wh gather in one venue to share their insanitythefantasy beliefs look a bit more real . When the Mob is gathered aroundwhat is deemed an enemy , worked up into a frenzywith rocks in their handsit only takes one rock thrower tolight the match that bliws the poderkeg . Basically I thinkthe problem isoverestimating one's own importance in the whole scheme of things . On AMRadio( the Wacky Right )Billy Bobensconced in his ageing Mom's basement was a pretty lonely , pathetic Lost Soulwho only had friends from midnight to 5 or 6 AM ( when the Normal radio shows commenced). He probably slept through all the daily Normal AMPreacher shows and the bits of real world news. The True Believers can gather in groups now an always overestimate theirnumbers and theveracity of their beliefs .

Like Ostomy people . I had never actually met another person with an Ostomybefore the Internet allowed us to communicate and share our stories and info .. when you feel all alone in your miseryand pain , alonewith your Shitty Ostomy Bagthe world can seem pretty bleak and miserable . Remember how you felt when you discovered that there are all these Ostomy people out there, people you could write to or talk to and even meet up with . Being part of this subset ofhumanityhas given you power and confidence you never had before . People are more willing to show their Ostomy in public and ralk about it in public, to share our stories and not feel like a freakwho has to fly under the radar . The off the wall conspiracy peoplehave the same newfound courage to share their " Alternative Facts "with the world and this strengthens their resolve and their beliefs ..

Ok , enough of that .

Stay safe out there ...Covid is not gone yet !!