Ostomy Memories of Yogi-isms

Replies
Views
HenryM

IT’S DÉJÀ VU ALL OVER AGAIN may be the most famous tautology ever uttered, and it sprang from the uncluttered, hard knocks noggin of baseball catcher and parttime philosopher Yogi Berra. Yogi once explained that his déjà vu comment was inspired by him watching Mickey Mantle and Roger Maris hitting back-to-back homeruns all the time. There are other marvelous Yogi-isms, richly erudite in their striking simplicity. “You can observe a lot by watching” comes to mind. “It ain’t over ‘til it’s over” is another of his mangled simplicities that has entered the rarified atmosphere of oft-repeated truisms. One of my favorites is the directional guilelessness of his pre-MapQuest gem: “When you come to a fork in the road, take it.” Back in January of 2005, Berra was named “Wisest Fool of the Past Fifty Years” by The Economist magazine, certainly a deserved approbation. Yogi was a life-long N.Y. Yankee, and I’m no Yankee fan, but I can’t help adoring Yogi Berra.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,102 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.