Ostomy Memories of a Con Trail

In this discussion
Replies
Views
HenryM

IN A CLEAR BLUE SKY YESTERDAY I watched a distant jet miles above where I stood leaving a long white con trail in the cold high air. The slightly fluffy white con trail seemed to remain at a certain length, and as the plane crossed the sky, its tail appeared to dissipate at its tip and disappear, never getting any longer. It had, I could see, reached the limit of its ability to remain visible. That con trail, it occurred to me, is the perfect metaphor for memory and its limited ability to remain discernable. In time, it fades away, it disappears into thin air. That part of our memory that we hang onto, through the tumult of everyday living, is the portion most meaningful to us. Its purpose is nothing less than to provide us with our identity. Memory’s cousins lend an assist in this endeavor, the steadying influence of probity coupled with the more purposeful pushing and shoving of that inner rascal, ego. Our memory is our con trail, but it can only be seen in private by us, alone with our thoughts. Nabokov held that retention of memory was a function of love. “The more you love a memory,” he said, “the stronger and stranger it becomes.” I think that he said “stranger” because he had read Proust and knew that what we remember isn’t necessarily what actually happened. It’s what our memory decides happened.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,101 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill

Hello HenryM. 

Another great contemplation:

It occurs to me that because I tend to write my thoughts down (in rhyme), the con-trail is not quite equating to memory, but more like a longer version of those printed streamers/messages that are towed behind planes for people to read from the ground. 

Best wishes

Bill

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate