Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Support | Friendship | Relationships
26,431 members

Ostomy Memories of Leaf Blowers

Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:40 am
"This is the best website for people with an Ostomy, hands down. So much understanding. Everyone should join."

NOTHING OCCURS TO ME that’s good about leaf blowers. Yet I am surrounded by the damned things. The neighbors on both sides of me have one. We have a lot of deciduous trees around and the leaves have been carpeting our yards. These guys just crank up their leaf blowers and have at it. I don’t know where they’re blowing the leaves; perhaps they’re creating some sort of de facto mulch pile in a corner somewhere. As for me, I hate the loud noise and I refuse to get one. I have a simple rake and that’s enough for me. It’s more work, but it’s also good exercise. And it’s quiet, contemplative activity. I can keep my eye on my cats without scaring the hell out of them. I can swell with the pride that comes with putting in extra effort. I can look down on my neighbors for being cheaters. Of course, by distaining use of a leaf blower, I am remaining fully in character. I don’t use the dish washer, rarely watch television, and I abhor my telephone, which I own only because my wife forced me to get one, but I usually don’t bother to answer it. “I tried to reach you yesterday, but no one answered your phone,” someone says to me. “Oh, sorry, I must have been outside raking leaves.”

Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:52 am

The neighbours will be blowing them onto your drive Henry that's why there's so many lol 😂. The leaf picking brings back memories of when dad was alive, every day we used to go to a sheltered housing for war veterans and collect bags full of them and then carry them two miles upto our allotment for the compost bin. XX

MeetAnOstoMate - 26,431 members
Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:23 am

Hi Henry my nephew gave me a leaf blower 2yrs. ago, i used it once to blow the sand and pebbles from my drive way, now it hangs on a hook in my garage, as for leafs i also prefer raking. 

Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:11 am

I presume you own a non motorized mower for the quietness and added exercise? 

Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:35 am

AlexT wrote:

I presume you own a non motorized mower for the quietness and added exercise? 

Actually, I hire a guy to do my lawn and I turn the music up whenever he's here.  :)

Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:59 am

HenryM wrote:

Actually, I hire a guy to do my lawn and I turn the music up whenever he's here.  :)

😂. Well, that ruined my theory. 

Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:42 am

Hello HenryM.

I have always raked the leaves and saved them for compost making. In my opinion there is nothing to beat composed leaves for growing all sorts of stuff and it's all for free! What leaves also do is give extra purpose and reason to the exercise of sweeping/raking them up each year. That positive thought makes the job so much more enjoyable than simply thinking that I am cleaning up rubbish.

Best wishes

Bill 

Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:20 pm

I have 3 leaf blowers and I despise raking, carry on.....😁

Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:50 pm

AlexT wrote:

I have 3 leaf blowers and I despise raking, carry on.....😁

THREE leaf blowers!!  They have that many leaves in Nebraska??  And you only have two arms...  

Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:06 pm

HenryM wrote:

THREE leaf blowers!!  They have that many leaves in Nebraska??  And you only have two arms...  

Maybe AlexT is in an arms race!

Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:32 pm

Bill wrote:

Maybe AlexT is in an arms race!

🤔. I don't think so. I have a battery one that's good for after mowing to blow off the driveway and sidewalk but the batteries don't last long enough to blow leaves into a pile. A gas one for the heavy duty leaf blowing of cleaning up the yard. A corded one that my son confiscated when he bought his house and I hated to drag a cord around the yard. Of course, I could duct tape all 3 together and blow everyone's leaves in my circle all at once and maybe a neighbor cat or two. 👀 😂

Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:33 pm

I detest the things myself Henry.  They are like giant wasps that I wish I could just swat out of existence! Someone in our neighbourhood usually decides it's time to fire their's up just as we sit down for what might have been a quiet dinner.  

Terry

* Please, do not post contact information, personal information or advertising.