Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Support | Friendship | Relationships
26,431 members

Songs you cannot listen to without crying

Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:59 pm
"This is the best website for people with an Ostomy, hands down. So much understanding. Everyone should join."

Hey All 🙋‍♀️❤️

I was just wondering. What is a song or songs that not matter your mood or how many times you hear it..it makes you cry? I have a lot (cuz I am a sappy asshole ☺️) but there are some that come to mind for me. In no particular order:

Sarah Mclachlan - " I will remember you" , Linda Ronstadt duet- "Somewhere out there",   Lewis Capaldi-" Somebody you loved" , Callum Scott- "You are the reason", Adele (entire catalogue),   Luther Vandross- "Dance with my father",  " Amazing Grace" , I loved her first" (country band I can't remember), Patty Griffin- " Let him fly" 😢😂😭

There are a whole bunch more but those come to mind just right now. I was just curious which songs you just can't stave off the tears with.

Last edited by tiff041 on Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:51 am

Hello tiff041.
Sorry I am unable to contribute any particular song to this list as I am long-since all cried-out!
Occasionally, I might well-up into tears or have tears in my heart when I hear, see or feel something that touches my emotions. But these events are usually brought about by real-life happenings, rather than music and lyrics.
I am usually ‘touched’ by moving renditions of death but I put that down to a form of my own PTSD, brought about by personal experiences. Mostly, when I am in situations involving pre, post, or actual death, I need to stay composed and rational, so emotions which might otherwise bring tears, are suppressed until I am once again alone and not ‘responsible’ for helping others. At which time, I am motivated to write rhyme and get it all out of my system, without the need to cry.
However, at a time in the distant past, when I had great emotional upheaval in my life due to a bereavement of a loved one. The song that kept going round in my head was ‘Tell Laura I Love Her’ .
I don’t know who sang it and, in my head, the name of Laura was replaced by the name of my own loved one. Which should tell you everything you need to know.
Best wishes
Bill

MeetAnOstoMate - 26,431 members
Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:21 am

Hi tiff

My songs are move closer by Phyllis Nelson

Nothing compares Sinead O'Connor

Careless Whisper George Michael.

I'm sure there's a few more but at the moment I can't think of any. XX

Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:38 pm

Hi Tiff,  A topic I can relate to big time!  My top two are "I can't make you love me" by Bonnie Raitt and "The heart of the matter" by Don Henley.  I've listened to each too many times to count, but they still get me every time.

Terry

Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:43 pm

My offering probably has nothing to do with what you folks are writing about but I need to share.  Music has been a huge part of my life and I've become emotionally consumed many times by the words, the music, the choirs and even a pas de deux by Susanne Farrell and her partner.  Things have changed for me in the recent past.  I used to get filled up when I heard a beautiful performance of our patriotic songs because of the history they attempted to divulge.  Today I wonder where has my country has gone.  Songs like, "My country 'tis of thee" bring real tears to these aging eyes.

Respectfully,

Mike

Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:53 pm

iMacG5 wrote:

My offering probably has nothing to do with what you folks are writing about but I need to share.  Music has been a huge part of my life and I've become emotionally consumed many times by the wor...

Hi Mike,  I am sad to hear this, but I totally understand.  Also, welcome back! I'm sure I'm not the only one who has missed your presence on this site.  I hope you are going to stick around!

Terry

Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:27 pm

Bill wrote:

Hello tiff041.
Sorry I am unable to contribute any particular song to this list as I am long-since all cried-out!
Occasionally, I might well-up into tears or have tears in my heart when I hear, see o...

Bill...you made a girl 😢. That is so sad 😢

Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:29 pm

Caz67 wrote:

Hi tiff

Can I ask about " Careless whisper"?  I thought that qas about sex? Unless I have the wrong song 🤔

Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:29 pm

Caz67 wrote:

Hi tiff

Can I ask about " Careless whisper"?  I thought that was about sex? Unless I have the wrong song 🤔

Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:32 pm

delgrl525 wrote:

Hi Tiff,  A topic I can relate to big time!  My top two are "I can't make you love me" by Bonnie Raitt and "The heart of the matter" by Don Henley.  I've listened to each too many times to count...

Oh wow ..how could I forget that Bonnie Raitt song! The don henley is good also ❤️

Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:38 pm

iMacG5 wrote:

My offering probably has nothing to do with what you folks are writing about but I need to share.  Music has been a huge part of my life and I've become emotionally consumed many times by the wor...

You are so much rightly. Music of today is soulless and just very stagnant. Songs that really matter are ones that most people so not even think of. I just remembered "Amazing Grace" when you brought up "My country tis of thee". That isnt a religious song but any song about being proud of your country should bring a tear to your eye. Much better than say "Wap" or "Friday" by Rebecca Black 😦

Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:36 am

Hello tiff041.

Sometimes when I am melancholy, I will write my own songs to capture the concept. Here is an old one that I'll share:

Best wishes

Bill

SING A SONG OF SADNESS.

I sing a song of sadness
My heart is full of sighs
My head is full of questions
And these are mostly whys.

Why, oh why, oh why am I
So choked with melancholy
There must be many reasons why
I never quite feel jolly.

I sing my song of sadness
There’s blues in every line.
It’s bordering on madness.
It’s with me all the time.

I sing a song of sadness.
I sing it night and day.
If words don’t come I tend to hum.
It does not go away.

Infectious tune and catchy song.
When other’s venture near.
If glad at first but sad when gone.
They’ve caught my song I fear.

The lyrics lay a story line
From childhood right through life
The tale is of this life of mine
Its troubles and its strife.

The sad song fails to tell or sing.
Of laughter, mirth and fun.
For sadness colours everything
And every line that’s sung.

Sadness and sickness we have got.
But they are not the same.
To know what is and what is not.
Look whence and where they came.

My melody of sadness.
Exposes my soul forlorn.
Evolves from human badness.
And takes emotional form.

Sickness on the other hand
Seems physical and ‘real’.
It’s easier to understand
It’s not like what I ’feel’.

I’ve sung my song of sadness.
I’ve sung it loud and long.
I’m through with all this madness
It’s time for moving on.

B. Withers 2007

(In: Constructive Conversations Inversed. 2008)

Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:01 am

tiff041 wrote:

Can I ask about " Careless whisper"?  I thought that qas about sex? Unless I have the wrong song 🤔

Hi Tiff 

Careless Whisper was actually about being two timed and also about a dance he did for his ex girlfriend. XX

Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:54 pm

Well, there is a song that I like and it is sort of a bit sad.   It is called, "Ordinary World" by Duran Duran....

Sophie

:o))

Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:18 pm

Coccrete Angel by Martina McBride and Don't Take the Girl by Tim McGraw always get to me the most. If you check out the story behind Concrete Angel, then watch the video, it'll get to you too. 

Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:56 pm

Lightning Crashes ⚡ Live. 

Right in the feels every time.......well 60 percent of the time/ everytime.

Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:52 am

Who Knew by Pink.  Gets me everytime.

Hope you have a Happy New Year

Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:37 pm

Though we're married for 59 years, my wife and I still tear up when we dance to, "To the Aisle" by the Five Satins.  Like at our grandson's wedding.  I'm betting no more than 6 of you folks ever heard it.  Wow!  Time flies.

Respectfully,

mike

Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:12 am

delgrl525 wrote:

Hi Tiff,  A topic I can relate to big time!  My top two are "I can't make you love me" by Bonnie Raitt and "The heart of the matter" by Don Henley.  I've listened to each too many times to count...

One song in English that always makes me cry is Delilah by Plain white Teas.  I heard it at a restaurant and a friend I was with told me it was a song her Mother liked (she is a super practicing Catholic and I was so moved I started to cry.  But they are good tears making their way to the sea.  A place where I can dream of leaving this world.

Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:14 pm

Jimmy Webb "Still Withinthe Sound of my Voice," recorded also by Glen Campbell. Makes me cry because it makes me think of the many dogs and cats I've had grace my life for many wonderful years before moving on to their next lives. I cry more over them than any human I've lost. I dunno what that says about me!

Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:19 pm

Anonymous wrote:

Jimmy Webb "Still Withinthe Sound of my Voice," recorded also by Glen Campbell. Makes me cry because it makes me think of the many dogs and cats I've had grace my life for many wonderful years befo...

I totally relate!  I grieved for years after losing our last dog, to the point where I couldn't even consider getting another one. 

Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:28 pm

I'm Not The Only One by Sam Smith 

* Please, do not post contact information, personal information or advertising.