Sleepless Night after Hospital: Normal Anxiety?

Replies
Views
ktsenn75

My first night home from the hospital and I think I only slept 2 hours all night. Is it normal to have so much anxiety?

Bill

Hello ktsenn75.
What is ‘normal’?
You imply that anxiety is behind the fact that you only slept for 2hours after discharge from hospital. However, most of us have had the experience of coming home and still being under the influence of the drugs they gave us. Some of us worry about not sleeping, but others just take it in their stride.
Researchers have found that it is not the length of time that we perceive ourselves to have slept that is important, but the amount of ‘rest’ we have. Hence, if we resist the temptation to keep getting up and wandering around having drinks etc, we probably will be just as well off as those who feel they have slept soundly all night.
In the past (especially after operations), I have experienced the same sorts of sleep patterns that you describe. My way of dealing with this was to focus on the subject that was uppermost in my mind and use the time to construct some rhyme.
This helped me to clarify my thoughts and seemed to utilise that time constructively; It also acted as a distraction, so that whatever it was that was keeping me awake, was no longer as important as the task of writing.
It might be instructive to know that this process has produced three books on ‘my stoma’ and one on ‘My Heart Attack’ . So, you can see that these were the times when my sleep patterns were most disturbed.
I suppose in this sense, it could be classed as ‘normal’, but it did not feel that way at the time.
I hope this little rant helps in some way
Best wishes
Bill

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,358 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

I didn't sleep well because I found it hard to get into a position that was comfortable without squishing Sally.

I had a lot of anxiety at first also. But do try to get sleep...nap whenever you can.

Lack of sleep just makes anxiety higher.

Hugs

AlexT

IMO, any of us control our own anxiety. If you let yourself get all worked up over any little thing, you're gonna increase your anxiety. Any of us with these health conditions are gonna have to realize that we ourselves are gonna have to deal with what we're given. Sure, loved ones can help, but in the long run...sit back, relax, take one day at a time, and things will get better. Take your time doing things, think things through before doing them, and it'll be okay. I could hardly move when I got home from the hospital. Day by day everything got better and now, about 9 months in, I'm pretty much back to normal. Now, what are you so worked up about?

ron in mich

Hi KT, we all have worries when we can't get up and do what is our normal routine, and other people have to do it for us. When I had my last surgery 4 years ago, I slept like a log when I got home. But when the drugs wore off, my sleep patterns were all messed up. Plus, I still had no energy to do anything to be tired. But I stuck to a routine of regular bedtime, even if I wasn't tired, and lay there and reminisced good memories and eventually dozed off.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
AlexT
Reply to ron in mich

I laid in bed for hours before falling asleep. Then, of course, I had to get up to pee. It's a day by day thing, take it easy.

TerryLT

Hi Kt, you've been given some good advice here. I would just add that I don't think it's at all abnormal to have some anxiety so soon after going through a life-changing surgery. It is a physically and emotionally traumatic time, and you need time to heal, both physically and mentally. Not being able to sleep on your first night home doesn't surprise me a bit. As Bill said, you could well still be feeling the effects of the meds they gave you. Anxiety will make sleep more difficult, but worrying about not sleeping will only compound the problem. Just accept that your body is going through an adjustment period and let it take the time it needs. Let yourself rest and try not to worry, just accept that the sleep will come when the mind and body are ready. This is early days. Hang in there and things will get better.

Terry

nrncyde

I think anxiety is absolutely normal - your body has had a shock, and it is a change for you to adjust to. And like others have said, you probably do still have meds in your system. Also, depending on what happened in the hospital (I was on a ventilator for 5 days), it could take some time for your body to adjust to the new normal. Since you don't have to get up and go to work, try not to stress about not sleeping - I know easier said than done. Get up and read, knit, meditate, and then take naps when you can. I am sure things will get much better as time goes on.

Newbie Dana

Oh, sweetheart, that is so normal! Everything that looked and felt so simple when the ostomy nurse was demonstrating everything doesn't seem so easy once you get home and you're on your own! Things will get better and easier, and you'll go a few months and look back and say, "Oh, I never noticed how much better I am at this now!". And then a few more months, and you say, "Oh, I'm even better now than I was then." You never notice it happening until you look back.

Your schedule is your schedule. Don't let anyone tell you you should be at this or that milestone by this time after surgery. And if you can't sleep at 10:00, play some soothing new age music while you read a book in bed until you're sleepier, and not so worried. And if that's 11 pm, or 1 am, and you only got 2 hours, chill! It's OK! It will get better, and you will worry less as you become more adept at everything, and when you realize, you really won't roll over in your sleep and pop your bag every night and wake up in a pile of poop (my biggest worry when I first got home, because I still sleep in the same bed with my husband).

My saving grace was a CD by Mike Oldfield called The Voyager, played at low volume as I went to sleep. I never usually heard the last 2 cuts because I always fell asleep right about then. I hope you find your own ways to cope with the worries and slowly get more sleep at night, along with a few naps during the day. Take care.

lovely

Anything outside of our normal can cause us anxiety and cause sleep loss. Try to do something to distract yourself, maybe watch a movie or read a book.

Past Member

It's so great to get out of the hospital.... but then it isn't. After getting zero sleep in the hospital, one would think they'd get home and sleep for 3 days. And then that doesn't happen, for many many reasons.

The pain med they sent you home with may be adding to your anxiety (for example, Tramadol does). Napping too much during the day might make nights wakeful and wakefulness makes a mind spin and get anxious. Too much screen time can cause fierce anxiety in many people. The reasons are endless.

Do your best to keep a strict schedule of meals and bedtime and wake up time, and pay attention, see if you can figure out the source of your anxiety. You may never pinpoint it, it may simply dissipate as you slog through these days. I found that easy access to my Stoma nurses and the valuable education they provided made me confident and ready to do this.

ktsenn75

Thank you to everyone that sent the kind messages and great advice. My anxiety has decreased and I am sleeping longer during the night and trying to let myself take naps during the day. One day at a time. I know God is by my side and will help carry my load at the times I need it. I have done many things. First, I had pillows placed under my mattress to raise my head elevation. Second, I started journaling and listing five new things I'm grateful for each day. Third, I accepted that right now things will be an up and down battle and that's okay because like many of you said, it will get better. Fourth, I am practicing my breathing exercises - this has been huge for me - and meditation. Again, thank you to everyone. I'm new to opening up and sharing my concerns, etc. so bear with me. I grew up being taught to smile always and keep your issues to yourself. I just really thought with this new experience, reaching out would help me understand I'm not alone in this and get great advice from those that have been through this.

Past Member

I am glad to read that you are doing better, and have found ways to help yourself. You've undergone one heck of a life-changing event.... the surgery itself is enough to knock one for a loop, never mind the physical effects from meds, hospitalization, returning home physically changed. Hope you continue to improve bit by bit. Don't push too hard!

TerryLT
Reply to ktsenn75

I'm so glad to hear that things are getting better for you and it sounds like you are taking lots of proactive steps. You really don't need to keep anything to yourself on this site. We've heard it all!! Keep us posted on your progress.

Terry