Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates Support | Friendship | Relationships 21,252 members

Does your stoma have a name?

Talk to people who understand you Sign up today - for many, our community has been a life-changing experience.
Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:45 pm
Hi, I've named my stoma 'Henry', does anyone else name theirs or am I the only crackpot?!! It's a kind of 'friend' who never leaves my side, and though I hate it, sometimes I'm relieved I have him when the tum gets watery for no apparent reason... mine blows while the 'Henry hoover' sucks... and in my experience most men are assholes (no offence guys!) so it had to have a man's name!!! Sometimes I put smiley faces on the bags...
Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:38 pm
I haven't as yet, other than my stinky little friend, but you will find that you are not alone! xx
Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:21 pm
Hi
    Mine is called Fred Gucci his behaviour is atrocious I'm sending him to Stoma Borstal !!
Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:00 am
I always think of my stoma as a woman High Maintenance
Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:37 am
I edited a newsletter for an ostomy support group for 22 years and used to receive newsletters from other groups.  It is amazing how many times I saw articles on naming the stoma.  Pretty wild...   I was one that named mine. Riley, as in Life with Riley. (I know, it was before my time too, but I had heard of the show and it seemed appropriate.) It made it easier to refer to it when it was making noises like when my wife would say, "There goes Riley."  
Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:10 pm

panther wrote:

wow, are you bitter????
Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:37 pm

facingmyfears wrote:

panther wrote:

wow, are you bitter????

lol... No,  I had an ileostomy for 18 years, I always used to say I thought of it as a man perfect  in every way just like me . Then 2 years ago I had a Jejunostomy, they have a very watery and  high out put.  So I decided to think of the jejunostomy as a woman.  Some of my nurses call it a dreaded jeji.
Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:23 pm

panther wrote:

facingmyfears wrote:

panther wrote:

wow, are you bitter????

lol... No,  I had an ileostomy for 18 years, I always used to say I thought of it as a man perfect  in every way just like me . Then 2 years ago I had a Jejunostomy, they have a very watery and  high out put.  So I decided to think of the jejunostomy as a woman.  Some of my nurses call it a dreaded jeji.

ok. not bitter, you just don't hold women in very high regard.   sorry, I'm just in a lot of pain right now and your comment(relating women to 'high maintenance') simply rubbed me the wrong way.  I never make blanket derogitory statements about men so when I see those statements about women (no matter how inocuous), I cringe. Normally, I would just click next, but like I said, I'm in a lot of pain... oh, no, does that make me 'high maintenance'????  trying to add levity.  Wink
Jax
Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:52 am
I named my Mr Wilson as that is the name of the Professor (Doctor) that created mine in UK. He was a nice man and it seemed appropriate. It was either that or my x-hubby's name and then it would have made he relationship very difficult...

I am happy to have him as he gurgles through dinner and blows off at the most inappropriate times... LOL

JAx
Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:07 am
  hi rhian , good to hear that you have named your stoma , l have a name for my also , it is called  "pistol "  because it sometimes squirks all over the place when l am putting on a new pouch .  l think everybody should give there stoma a pet name , it is part of you ,and what would you do with out it .  please don't that all men are ass holes , not this one l hope .
  all the best to you .  mike x
Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:32 am
I call mine "Little Shitter" what else!
Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:16 pm
hi, my stoma is called harry! no reason really just seen to have stuck when i came out of hospital, 11 weeks ago, my daughters suggestion.  i find it hard getting used to the wind pain you get somtimes before the noisy wind comes ha, can be quite painfull!!, anybody else experience this??,
i must say i love this site!!, love the way you all help each other!!,
keep upthe good work!!
wend,
Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:31 pm

wend wrote:
hi, my stoma is called harry! no reason really just seen to have stuck when i came out of hospital, 11 weeks ago, my daughters suggestion.  i find it hard getting used to the wind pain you get somtimes before the noisy wind comes ha, can be quite painfull!!, anybody else experience this??,
i must say i love this site!!, love the way you all help each other!!,
keep upthe good work!!
wend,

Welcome! Wend and Harry, nice to see you here .... Rachel xx
Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:58 pm
Hmmmmmm Wend & Harry---High Class ladies shoes.

Wend & Harry---Hair stylists to the Stars.

Wend & Harry---Quality Perfume.

Wend & Harry---Cadillac Distributors

Wend & Harry --Purvayors  of High Quality Foods to the Aristocracy.

And Topping our Bill Tonight , that amazing Singing Duo

Wend & Harry !!

Just Thinking out Loud .......But you never know anything is possible ....

Welcome its nice to have you here!
Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:58 pm
I named my stoma Willie Stoma and today is his first birthday. I am teaching him to play the trumpet but all he seems to be able to do is make noise.
He has become a good friend and travels with me wherever I go.

Willie
Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:24 pm

Willie Stoma wrote:
I named my stoma Willie Stoma and today is his first birthday. I am teaching him to play the trumpet but all he seems to be able to do is make noise.
He has become a good friend and travels with me wherever I go.

Willie

Happy Birthday Willie Stoma
Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:18 pm
I was going to call mine asshole but then my witty brother had to say, "how's it going, asshole and how about your stoma, eh," doing all right I can see. There's always payback time in my family but I think I'm still ahead.
Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:48 pm
I call mine Cherry, or Juicy Cherry 'cause it looks like a cherry sticking out of my belly.  Sometimes I call it Button, but Juicy Cherry sounds nicer, depending on the situation...
Sat May 08, 2010 3:49 pm
I have also got a name for my Stoma it is Arthur have no idea why . I am having it reversed in a few months but am very nervous as I only went into have a Ovarian Cyst removed last time & ended up nearly dying,in intensive care &  having an ileostomy bag.
Sat May 08, 2010 4:21 pm
Hi Delrene and Arthur, welcome to the forum and your first post! Sorry you have had to go through that, there are a few on here who have also had docs with slippery hands ...... good luck with your reversal, Rach xx
Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:37 am
My colostomy doesn't really have a name, but I used to refer to it as "My Side" and it kinda stuck, so whenever I speak about it I just talk about my side Smile Before I had my colostomy I had an ACE (Antigrade Continence Enema) Stoma. My first trip out after I had this op - i was 9- i had a kfc and got a free ACE Lightening toy, It was therefore know as Lightening! Bit random, but seemed to fit at the time!
Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:10 pm
I used to live in Vancouver BC for 3 years and became aquainted with some of the wildlife, more specifically their Banana slugs:  great big, huge yellow slimy slugs that not only pop when stepped on, they can kill you by rivalling teflon in slipperiness!

When I awoke from surgery (not expecting any "company") I looked down and saw this "thing" on my stomach.  It looked not to unlike one of these slugs.  A few days later (when things started to work) I looked down and being coated in Bile, it was even the right colour.  So, "Slug" it has been.

Now if only it would slow down to some sluggish speeds!  It pumps so fast it could outpace BP oil!  (sorry... perhaps that's too close to home...)

Katman
Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:59 pm
NOT!

But, back on subject, since everyone ELSE seems to have named their new little friends, I thought I would just call mine Lakehurst, NJ.

What? You never heard of Lakehurst? Try Google.com

NT
Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:08 pm
I was told 6 years ago that I HAD to name my stoma in order to accept my new reality.  NOT!  My stoma saved my life and gave me my quality of life back.  I am forever grateful to my surgeon and thank he everytime I go for a colonoscopy.  Judging from his reaction he is not accustomed to this. lol  Having said that, my stoma is not my friend or an alter-ego.  It is a part of my body that requires regular maintenance and attention but it does not rule my life.  It is incidental. i have no intention of giving it an identity or importance that it does not deserve.
Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:17 am
Mine has no name.  Although if I were to give it a name, I would probably call it Peter the Second.  It's just another appendage hanging out there.  One thing I did, however, to assist in the wearing of the pouch more comfortably and not to have to worry about hairs being ripped out when I change it, I had electrolysis done on my abdomen.  It is so much better than trying to shave quickly while the pouch is off.  Just needed to find an understanding electrologist that was willing to work with me.
Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:43 am

funnygurl wrote:
I was told 6 years ago that I HAD to name my stoma in order to accept my new reality.  NOT!  My stoma saved my life and gave me my quality of life back.  I am forever grateful to my surgeon and thank he everytime I go for a colonoscopy.  Judging from his reaction he is not accustomed to this. lol  Having said that, my stoma is not my friend or an alter-ego.  It is a part of my body that requires regular maintenance and attention but it does not rule my life.  It is incidental. i have no intention of giving it an identity or importance that it does not deserve.

whoever said you had to is under a misconception.
Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:57 pm
i call mine prada,
yes i am the devil.lol
Mon May 02, 2011 5:26 pm
No your not a crack pot i have had two stomas the first one was "billy" and the second after a failed reversal is "billy no mates" coz i really did not want him.

Plus when your out with family etc it sounds better to say "just going to check billy" rather than going to empty my bag.

Just go with what ever helps you its not mad !!
Tue May 10, 2011 12:22 pm
Mine is Eric!
And with fear of upsetting people....I decided it had to be a male as it had been a pain in my a**e and talked a load of shit and was constantly farting!! Teehee!
An australian friend of mine has named his Alice.....as in Alice? who The F**k is Alice! Which is what strangers would say if she was bought up in converstation and yes his had to be female as she demands attention when she wants it not when he wants to give it!! Another friend has named hers Gucci, so she can always claim she has a gucci bag!

x x
Thu May 12, 2011 10:24 pm
re: name ing stoma.?

Where does your stoma end, and your self begin?
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.