Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates Support | Friendship | Relationships 21,246 members

Does your stoma have a name?

Talk to people who understand you Sign up today - for many, our community has been a life-changing experience.
Mon May 23, 2011 11:34 am
Mine is called " In Flight Refueling "
Sun May 29, 2011 2:06 pm
My first stoma was called iggy I actually decided on the name before the operation. My Stoma now is called Dooby I didn't name him until about 3 months after the op and it wasn't til he had a name that I was properly able to come to terms and get used to having a new stoma.

A lot of people think I'm nuts but by naming my stoma it makes it personal to me, I can also rant and rave at it when I have a bad day and can also say to my friends that Dooby is playing up which is why I'm staying in. Its a lot more socially acceptable to say Dooby than Stoma!
Tue May 31, 2011 11:14 am
my stoma is also named cherry like a cherry tomatoe ......We are asked to name then in hospital ..and i thought it stupid at the time there is a website about stoma names and y people name them seen it years ago and its my add on not all of me
Tue May 31, 2011 2:48 pm
I called my stoma Dennis because he can be a bit of a menice!!!! I got him some funky stoma bag covers to dress him up a little
Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:13 pm
Mine's just my little Fran. Or Stomeo because he has a tendency to fall back into my tummy and I have to push him out, when this happens I think to myself "Stomeo stomeo, where for art thou Stomeo?" Smile
Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:26 pm
Hark, Little Fran doth thou hear our mistress call, methinks we should ever be silent in our warm domicile for another wee time and let the mistress harken for it does her good, does it not. Aw hell I can't carry this any farther, happy posting Frannica, Ed
Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:30 pm
Oh yeah, I call my stoma by many names all of which would be deleted by Admin and one wouldn't want to go around twice, would one?
Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:15 pm
Fred
Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:03 pm
ha haaaaa haaaa  my friends call mine ....my boil in the bag curry......
Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:06 pm
well done!  that made me laugh........its good to feel comfortable with the stoma......your alive and able to proceed with a fullfilling and happy life...god bless..danny
Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:58 pm
My ostomy is called SAMI.  I have found that naming it kind of makes it more a part of my body and not so much the eyesore I thought it was when I first had it.
Allie
Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:48 am
i know some of the top people who work at the company that make the pouches.....i put it to them why dont they make the pouches in three different colours.........black ...red..blue....much more fashion acceptable......instead of clinical beigh....yuk.....if you agree lets start a demonstration...     lets chant         ..we want colours...!!..we want colours...ha haaaa........keep smiling...we all woke up this morning?
Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:57 am
hi maintanace!!!.......just like a woman ha ha haaaaa.......how true you are.....but great fun keep ing it  maintained
Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:06 am
I call mine "Old Faithful!"
Old Faithful and I are scheduled to part ways on January 18, 2012.....I am scheduled for an ileo reversal.....she'll be back in the back doin' business!  LOL Smile
Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:15 am
good luck babe...hope all goes well......thoughts and prayers are with you.....
Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:58 pm

tommy 6644 wrote:
good luck babe...hope all goes well......thoughts and prayers are with you.....

Thank you so much!  I do appreciate your prayers and positive thoughts! Smile   Darla
Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:48 pm
I've never named my stoma, but had to laugh when I saw the movie "Just Go With It" and how Jennifer Aniston's character taught her children that making a poo was " taking a Devlin" after her  college nemesis.

I thought that would be a great name for my stome, "Devlin." ha ha ahaaa
Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:41 pm
Mine is Steve, Stoma Steve. After the Adam Sandler movie Big Daddy, where he plays a character SCUBA STEVE, to help the little boy take a bath, I figured Steve helped me quite a bit!~
Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:04 pm
No reason for it have a name.  I am fine with the big red dot on my belly
Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:40 pm
I named mine Mt. Gutmore as it protrudes from my belly and erupts wheneaver it wants usualy at the worst time such as when I am just about to stick the new apliance on My home care nurce say that if we can learn to pridict its eruptions then we might get some grant mony to work with volcanoes
Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:04 pm
I affectionately call my stoma 'Piglet'
Just seems so appropriate on so many levels....!
Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:28 pm
I've had a stoma for 35 years.  Called it 'Roo' because it lived in a pouch.  
Smile
Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:48 pm
I haven't named my stoma yet.  However, I have a little growth on the side near the opening that I call periscope...figure it's looking around to see if it's ok to surface...

I did mention to my surgeon (male), that if my stoma were a penis and I was a man, I would almost be proud.  He didn't laugh...  I just think mine sticks out way too far.  I keep expecting it to talk or be a puppet on Sesame Street...

Susan
Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:54 am
Yes I had to name mine.. thought I was just weird until I found this site and NO seems like alot of us have named our "friend"
Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:27 am
Not all ostomates name theirs. I happened to name mine, so i guess that puts me in the majority?
Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:30 am
My first one was called Steve after my brother, but my permeant one is called Roger after the American dad character.
Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:57 am
I actually call mine 'Little Shit' xx
Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:53 pm
lol spiggy love the name . called mine Alfie ..
Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:53 pm
Just seem to call mine Stommy.
Sat May 19, 2012 10:25 pm
I never named min either -I guess its a little late now after 15 + yrs LOL Maybe I should have run a "Name MY Stoma" contest on my 1st ostomy message board i was on bout 8 yrs ago.
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.