Seeking Work from Home Opportunities - Any Suggestions?

Replies
Views
J.J.

Hello all! Hope you're all doing fantastic!!

I am exploring work from home options..

Do any of you wonderful people work from home, and if so what do you all do?

Thank you for any and all responses.. have a great weekend!!

J.J

Axl

Hi J.J.

I work in finance. I tried a month or so at home last year and hated it, and I've been going in ever since. I need to get out and about; home is not for me. But if it works for you, go for it.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,455 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

J.J.
Reply to Axl

Hi and thank you for your response. I have always worked in an office setting. Except during COVID.. However, at the moment, I am taking care of my mom so she can remain at home for as long as possible (dementia).. So I am bouncing back and forth between my home and family and mom's.. I am just exploring work from home options! Tough decision!!

Past Member

Hi J.J,

I'm a medical typist and have worked from home for the past 10 years. Unfortunately, these jobs are becoming rare because of VR (Voice Recognition software) that the majority of doctors use now. They lose the benefit of good punctuation, grammar, and accurate spelling that a typist can provide, but the company I work for still has several lovely radiologists who refuse to use VR (in one of their words "because it's absolute crap!"). I think my role as a typist in the near future will be one of "editor" correcting all the VR mistakes. I already get many returned VR reports to correct as it is.

Another company I used to work for also employed proofreaders for publishing houses and the media, which I would definitely look into if my role as a medical typist is "phased out". It would be a dream job for me as I love to read.

Any job that can be done on a PC can be done at home basically. Having worked at home for so long, I couldn't imagine having to work in a clinic setting again. I don't miss the office politics and am more than happy in my own company!

Happy job hunting,

Jo

Past Member

I'm an engineer in the electronic security industry (CCTV etc). Since my ostomy in 2021, climbing up and down ladders drill in hand has taken a step back, but it meant my (excellent) employer now focuses on my core strength of waving a laptop around instead of a drill! I was getting too old for ladders anyway, so yay stoma!
Always look on the bright side of life, tadum, tadum tadum teedum...

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Bill

Hello JJ.

I work from home writing and I often get requests to do this for other people. Although I don't do external work, there are many such opportunities as lots of people have a desire to write, but do not want (or have the skills) to do so.

I also do some (short-shifts) outside so that I do not become deskbound.

One of my daughters also works from home much of the week and breaks this up with outside work where she needs to. She is in 'countryside management'.

The other one does the same - working from home or the office whenever she wants.  She is in insurance (claims). 

For more than 50 years my wife worked from home as a dog-groomer - We simply made the front room into a grooming parlour and it worked very well as a small business. 

I believe that many occupations can be just as easily done at home as in an office somewhere else . Our accountant always worked from home and she was brilliant!

Since COVID, many reputable companies have realised that working from home can be an asset to them and to the workers. 

Just be wary about advertisements that offer home-working as there are a few scammers taking advantage of this change in working patterns. 

Best wishes

Bill 

Maried

A lot of call center jobs are remote and allow you to work from home.

J.J.

Thank you all for your input. I will be looking into the suggestions you have given me for sure!

Have a wonderful day/night depending on where you are!!

J.J.

Past Member

If you live in a town with accurate internet services that has the performance to do many applications at once, and a computer to do so, there are many options for sales or call-in services that companies will train you to do. If you like elementary mathematics, then maybe taxes could be something you might want to do?

Good luck and be well.

Mr.Heart2Win

I work for a high-tech company in a very high-tech city. I went part-time this month because of a book I need to publish next year, so my schedule now is very early in the morning, which is awesome because I am highly productive for many hours during the day. I will not go back to working in an office, ever. Working from home is the best, live a block from a park, and a short drive to a beach, wouldn't change it for the world.

You need a good internet connection, a good router, and you're all set. I work in Microsoft Teams with a bunch of other co-workers. You just cannot have any distractions, with four kids I'm not sure you have that privacy. The schedule has to fit with your lifestyle and find a place that is just for you and comfortable.

Dharms

Hi.

I work for the local council in the UK, which is supportive of flexible working.

Working from home has made life easy; no need to worry about finding toilets to empty my ileostomy bag.

No need to dress up in a shirt and trousers, especially with an ileostomy. I'm always anxious about my bag showing around people or people looking at my stomach.

For me, WFH saves time, traveling costs, and other expenses like lunch, coffee, etc., which add up.

I tend to have the radio/music in the background when not in Skype meetings - this works for me.

I have a routine to go on a 20-30 minute walk on my lunch to stay active. The walk helps keep my mind fresh and breaks the day easily.

Hope it helps.