Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Support | Friendship | Relationships
26,920 members

Ostomy Memories of Rough Mule's Ears

Sun May 01, 2022 3:56 am
"This is the best website for people with an Ostomy, hands down. So much understanding. Everyone should join."

A LITTLE MORE THAN ONE HUNDRED MILES north of the Grand Canyon in southern Utah, along scenic U.S. Highway 89 in red rock country of the high desert, late spring and early to mid-summer provides a glorious treat for drivers:  the blossoming rough mule’s ears (Wyethia scabra).  It is a perennial native to the area, and the large bright yellow flowers are impossible to miss against the mostly sandy background.  The plant forms essentially symmetrical mounds two to three feet tall and wide.  I’m guessing that the plant takes its name from the similarity between its leaves and the long, loppy ears of a mule.  The leaves themselves are rough feeling to the touch, kind of like sandpaper.  Not too far off Hgwy 89, north of Kanab, UT, a deserted two-lane road will take you to Coral Pink Sand Dunes State Park, and rough mule’s ears is plentiful all around.  Some people might be surprised at how colorful a desert scene can be, as there are many more flowering plants that abound in that setting.  But the rough mule’s ears stand out due to their size and bright color against the coral hued sand.  Give a beautiful, flowering plant an odd name and it’s still beautiful.  [My attempts to include a photo met with failure.]

Sun May 01, 2022 7:18 am

Sounds lovely Henry, I love waking up to your posts, I almost always learn something and usually have a smile when finished reading! 
I feel the same pain at not being able to insert pictures into my posts, yesterday I managed to post a link to my favorite jazz number and was shocked it worked without having to go to Sally for help with my post! 

MeetAnOstoMate - 26,920 members
Sun May 01, 2022 7:36 am

Hi guys i have no luck posting photos, i think my problem is the fact of having an older version of this site and it asks for folder name plus i am not a paying member.

Sun May 01, 2022 11:40 am

ron in mich wrote:

Hi guys i have no luck posting photos, i think my problem is the fact of having an older version of this site and it asks for folder name plus i am not a paying member.

I’m a paid member and it makes no difference on being able to insert photos. The android and PC users seem to have little problems so perhaps it’s an iPhone/Apple thing in my case. There is an app for the site but it’s android only, that leaves me out! 
I only paid because it was a reasonable fee for a lifetime membership no monthly bill, also I cast no aspersions to free members, that’s just tacky. 

Sun May 01, 2022 1:15 pm

I have an I-pad and at first I had trouble posting pictures…I tried several time

in this “reply box” is the little scenery picture of mountain’s if ai tap on that is sez 

General or

upload

I tap upload and it sez browse for an image

When I tap on that it gives 3 choices…so far I have been able to upload from my photos.

Sun May 01, 2022 1:16 pm

Hey guys:  I've included photos many times with my posts, so I'm at a loss to understand why it wouldn't take this morning.  I wondered if something was amiss with the site.

Sun May 01, 2022 1:20 pm

Sorry Henry - I went off subject .  I too would love

to see a pic or Rough mule ears - When all else fails I turn to Google…I will see if there is a pic for our viewing pleasure….

Vi-oh-la is this it?

Sun May 01, 2022 1:31 pm

HenryM wrote:

Hey guys:  I've included photos many times with my posts, so I'm at a loss to understand why it wouldn't take this morning.  I wondered if something was amiss with the site.

Mayhaps it has something to do with the flower itself not wanting the fame hence being stubborn as a mule !  Sometimes I crack myself up - Omg, I best get off this sight now.

Sun May 01, 2022 2:31 pm

Justbreathe wrote:

Mayhaps it has something to do with the flower itself not wanting the fame hence being stubborn as a mule !  Sometimes I crack myself up - Omg, I best get off this sight now.

Does this have something to do with why you are partially concealed behind a tree branch in your profile photo? 

Sun May 01, 2022 2:53 pm

Like the mule's ear flower, Henry, there is a lovely looking pig's ear plant. Unlike the former though, the latter can be turned into a nice dinner in France and then there are Schweine Ohren. You could make treats for dogs from them too, to satisfy your craving for sweet things, you can make oreilles de cochon, a doughnut made from a pig's ear. I haven't had them but I did do full justice to a poulette de Bresse en vessie- a chicken cooked in a pig's bladder. The bird is roasted and lots of goodies are stuffed in the cavity. This includes foie gras, wine and eaux de vie. Finally, truffles are inserted under the skin. Bon Appetit.

Sun May 01, 2022 3:47 pm

HenryM wrote:

Does this have something to do with why you are partially concealed behind a tree branch in your profile photo? 

No, that is due to wrinkles! 

Sun May 01, 2022 6:09 pm

Always amazing to see the desert come to life.   Western Australia has a wonderful wildflower season in September (spring).  "The Western Desert lives and breathes in 45 degrees" (that's celsius here, 113ºF for y'all!)

Really wanted to check to see if I could post photos?!

Mon May 02, 2022 2:58 am

Anonymous wrote:

Always amazing to see the desert come to life.   Western Australia has a wonderful wildflower season in September (spring).  "The Western Desert lives and breathes in 45 degrees" (that's celsius...

Wonderful photos, Jo. 

* Please, do not post contact information, personal information or advertising.