Where is everyone?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
erika

Hello all. I log on to this site most days, usually in the evening time and early morning. There's hardly ever anyone else online. If anyone is, they don't seem to go into the chat room to talk. Come on everyone, let's chat, etc.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,095 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Checker
Well, if they are like me, they don't like chat rooms. I can't type that well, and sometimes it's hard to keep up with the conversation. It takes a lot of eye movement, and that sometimes gets to me.

I used to not like forums, but I posted on one a couple of times and think I became addicted. I have been on a few forums now, and I manage one for ham radio. It is slow like this one. Some forums are really active, such as QRZ, Southern Cruisers, and most motorcycle forums. They have a lot of members and common interests. So, why is this one different? Several reasons I suspect, like no one wants to brag about their ostomy, they don't have parts to trade or sell, perhaps.

Most hot forums have a reasonable-sized clique to keep things moving; they also have get-togethers. Some have big rallies once or twice a year. There are probably not enough members on this forum to have a get-together, even on a small-scale local level. Do you think so?

I hope this doesn't lead to me posting a lot on here.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
tarababy
Hi guys, Checker. I think you have hit the nail on the head with just about everything you said. Seems ostomates find it hard to talk about themselves or the situation they are in, be it that they are too sick to or just can't for lots of reasons. As I'm sure you can see, the amount of posts I have done... there is a bit of a run, then the interest is lost or the people find other things to do with their spare time. I come back and try again, and well, you see the results. This was the first ostomy site I ever found, and I trained on here, used it as my sounding board, so bit of a soft spot. Anyway, hang in there. You shouldn't feel so bad. I'm the only Aussie I talk to with an ostomy. The thing is, I also know they are out there. Running that support group was to get me new friends in the same situation... It didn't! I know fewer ostomates than anyone I know. Not sure if that's funny or sad. Ok, I'm done, lol. Good luck to all and keep on smiling. Tara.X
Checker

Thanks Tara, I see where you have tried to get things rolling and some others too. I had to post something, I hate to pass up a forum, lol...I see where a lot of members and guests sign in but say little. I guess there is something that brings them here. After reading a lot of profiles, there's not much left to do as a free member. So, I paid for a membership to see what else there is. I've had an ileal conduit for 26 years and it gives me more trouble now that I have gained some weight. I still have other complications from it all. I put the ostomy off as long as I could, but when it comes down to it, ostomies can be better than what's causing your problems. Of course, a good ET is a plus, and there's not always one around in some of these hospitals up here.

tarababy
Hi Checkers, I hear you about this site,I think of them as floaters,they love to browse and read-but to have a say or share something of value is a no-no.I say thank goodness for all the people who pop on a post.Now try saying that after a few drinks too many..lol.I see by the amount of hits I get on my joke site,at just how many people are out there in cyber world having a look on here.All I can say(in the nicest possible way) is us Ostomates are a strange bunch.And if need be I will take the lead on that one.I was strange before this,so nothing new there,just a different angle.LMAO.Please dont take any offense as I'm not trying to be offensive,just honest.If anything I find it funny,and a little sad.Anyway, something I'd like to share....I just got back from a day-road-trip.I'm in Cairns and I went south to Townsville with a girlfriend to deliver a grandchild,but the main thing here ...I havent been out of Cairns for about 10yrs.So a big deal,and to be sharing the driving...well what a day it turned out to be.Got there ok.Had trouble finding way out to come home.All in all it should have been a 9hour all round trip,turned into 14hours.Well after we got lost leaving one little town..girlfriend and I had to pull over we were laughing so hard as we couldnt figure why the main road was coming to a dead-end.(hour out there)..lol.we get back on track and then come across traffic backed up,for over 6klms.Seems as we were travelling south, earlier today...an hour behind us was an accident between a truck and car, we got told.Fatalities and all.We went from having a great day to just sitting in the middle of the main road talking to others and thinking about the distaster that had unfolded in our path.Two hrs later we had the coroner drive past us and an ambulance.You could have heard a pin drop.2hrs later we got moving.And people wonder why I like the safety of my home.Was hoping the story about getting lost was the only one we came home with,I will admit I followed Kerry's directions,hehehe.Wasnt me who got us lost.. Ok enough of this I'm gone...cya Take care..Tara

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
tarababy
Mmmm....I thought if I shared something other than ostomy, someone might follow suit. As I said in another post somewhere out there, I'll share a true story in the hope it would encourage another to share one of theirs... if it didn't happen, I would keep trying. And I promise they won't always be about my dancing... not here to offend.
I have an idea, because I am a total animal lover... I'll start by telling you all the types of animals I have had over the years. Then, because a lot of you are in different countries and I think your animals are the coolest. (Plus, you're lucky you can keep different ones) Someone might share the weird and wonderful pets they have had.
Ok, mice, cats, dogs, magpie, possums, lizards, Mexican walking fish, fish (tropical and gold), Galah (pink and grey cockatoo), goats, hens, rooster (hated him, he kept attacking me), Guinea pigs, ferrets, rabbits, (great fun together if you like a blood bath.. lol), owl, joey, lamb, more dogs, more cats, African Ring-neck parrot (psycho bi*ch), a tiny bat, and always got a stray dog or cat hanging around. And some of the best pets were the cats, dogs, and the Galah. She was my best mate for over 6 yrs, destructive little thing... but I loved her.
Ok, so now it's someone else's turn, what was your favourite pet and why? And have you had anything that would be classed as a bit weird?
Cheers for now, Tara
vulcanBMk2

I have tried the chat room a few times ... But no one is ever in there!!! Perhaps it's because we all live in different time zones, so it just won't work .... Some of us are fast asleep, some are wide awake.

tarababy

Hi VulcanBMk2, welcome aboard, and yes, I'm sure you have hit the nail on the head there with the time zones. I know the difference between Australia and Colorado, but unsure on elsewhere. But I have a look in there some days and never a soul around, then check the time and think, ah, okay, I'm the only one awake here. Anyway, I will keep trying... By the way.... nice to see someone else who likes to have their say and share with us on here. Cheers Tarababy

bamatex
Hi Tarababy et al. I've tried dropping into the chat room a couple of times but found myself alone. Hard to believe there's no other Ostomates in the central part of the U.S. Tara, I'm in Texas so if you know the time difference between you Colorado just add an hour for Texas.

Pets...
I've had dogs off on all my life. After my divorce (12 yrs ago) I had to give up my last remaining Basset Hound as I had to travel for my work it wasn't fair to leave her alone (fed by a neighbor) for days at a time. So, I convinced my ex-mother-in-law to take her back. She had originally given her to us. Anyway she lived her remaining life out in a loving environment w/ several other dogs. Then I was out of the animal business until a couple of yrs ago. One night I was alone at my ranch in east Texas, I had a nice fire in the fireplace had enjoyed a few RAF's (refreshing adult beverages) when I looked around the room realized that it resembled a Norman Rockwell scene except one thing was missing. Where was the dog curled up on the rug by the fire?!? Right then it hit me, you need a dog! So with that epiphany the search was on. What kind of dog to get? Male or Female? Pure or mixed breed? After much input from friends I decided that I needed a water dog, as there's a 2 acre lake on which the cabin sits. I also needed a hunting dog, as I'm a hunter. So I finally decided on a Labrador Retriever. Now, male or female? Even tho I'm a guy, all the inputs I got from people I trusted steered to a female, they're considered smarter by those who train dogs. So, a female Lab it was. I wanted a pure Lab so I started contacting reputable breeders in Texas, Louisiana, Oklahoma Arkansas. No available pups to be found. Finally I asked a breeder in Texas to put my name on a waiting list. Her latest litter had all been sold her next litter was already pre-sold. So I just forgot about it for a while. Then one day a few weeks later while returning to Houston from the ranch my phone rang, it was the breeder, who told me she had my name on her waiting list for a female "one had come available". Hooray I thought went straight to an ATM withdrew a bunch of cash struck out for her house. When I got there I was most pleasantly surprised by a beautiful Black Lab puppy. How she came available was nothing short of a God send. It seems that the breeder had bred her bitch to a friends sire dog who had taken the dog as her pick of the litter. Then for reasons unknown to me their financial condition changed they were being forced to give up their house move back into an apartment. They thought it would just be too hard to move the big male a new puppy into an apartment, so she gave the puppy back to the breeder, who called me. So, as luck would have it, I actually got the pick of the litter for my dog. She's now almost 2 yrs old is the best dog I could have dreamed of.

The Other Dog...
Last year I had been thinking about getting a companion dog for my Lab. I'd learned from knowledgeable friends that, as too many women in the kitchen doesn't work well, too many female dogs in the house doesn't either. I decided it was to be a male. It was Christmas eve the Lab I were doing what most men do on Christmas eve, driving from store to store trying to get all the last minute shopping done. Then it came on the radio that one of the adoption agencies had dogs available for adoption at a location near where we live. We decided to have a look drove there. With the Lab on her leash we went in to the crazy barking of about 30 dogs of all shapes sizes. We went from cage to cage looking, but none of the dogs interested either of us. We were about to leave when one of the volunteer ladies working there asked if we'd seen the Catahoula over in the corner. There, laying quietly with a very sad look on his face, was this beautiful pure Catahoula. We approached his cage he stood up to greet us. The volunteer asked if we'd like to take him out of his cage, I said "sure". Would you like to take him for a walk? I said yes, but you walk him I'll follow behind (I wanted to check him for hip displaysia). He looked fine did very well on the leash, no pulling or trying to stray. So we decided to give him a try went to fill out the paper work pay the fee. During that process I looked down at him said " I've got this dog you're the other dog, so your name will be Other Dog, O.D. for short, pronounced Odie. He's been with us ever since he the black dog are totally bonded inseparable. He was estimated to be 3 mo. older than the Lab so they should have a good long life together.

So, there are the stories of my dogs. Hope I didn't bore you. Pray for us looking down the barrel of hurricane Gustav.
Bamatex
tarababy

Hi Bamatex, thanks for the heads up on the time difference... And gee, don't you sound like a gentle soul. Any person who can love his animals as much as you seem to has all my respect. People here (well, friends of mine anyway) get an animal as a possession... Oh, it's a top breed of dog, it can smell out cockroaches... and termites... Yep, it might if it was trained and not kept dirty and unfed in the backyard. Hey, why don't we get it a mate? They could make us some money also... along comes a beautiful female... both dogs worth more than a small family car... And where are those dogs now? In the backyard, dirty and hungry and starving for attention. If I ever go there, I spend more time outside with the animals than I do inside with the people. But I try not to go there as it gets me cranky with them, the people not the animals... lol... Anyway, enough of that horrible stuff... One of the best dogs I ever owned was an Afghan... Kissy, she was amazing... Never barked, but if she growled, look out. Could leave my front door open and know my home would be safe. Then there was Nicky, named after Nicholas Cage... (yummy) He was a Dachshund X Kelpie... Amazing dog, for a little fella... Now I have 2 cats who think they are both the queen. Reba and Molly. Don't ask what kind, as I wouldn't know... I'm well known for getting my animals from the shelters... rather give a poor dog a home than pay someone a bunch of cash when they didn't do any of the work... know what I mean? lol...
Thanks for sharing Bamatex, keep it coming... anything else you feel like sharing? I'll go chat for chat... Hope you got through that hurricane okay... Cheers Tarababy... Ps... I really wish this would stop popping up every time I answer a post.