Ostomy Memories of Rice

Replies
Views
HenryM

RICE IS ONE OF MY FAVORITE FOODS.  White rice, jasmine rice, yellow rice, Rice A Roni.  “Rice is great,” said Mitch Hedberg, “if you’re hungry and want 2,000 of something.”  Then there’s Spanish rice, fried rice, herbed rice, Indian rice.  The only rice I don’t like is brown rice which, as it turns out, is whole grain and more nutritious than white rice, but that’s the way it goes.  Rice, of course, is a staple on Asian tables.  The closest I’ve gotten to Asia is the Chinese restaurant nearby and the sushi display in the supermarket.  I find it amusing that Americans try to eat Chinese food with chopsticks instead of a fork.  Does it make it taste better?  Is it a more authentic experience?  The best part is attempting to eat rice with chopsticks.  You might as well use a fork on egg drop soup.   Rice is good with chicken, of course, and with fish.  When it comes to beef, however, I prefer potatoes.  But rice has uses beyond being just food.  I’ve seen it employed by artists and craftsmen in various ways.  Do they still throw rice at weddings?  As Henny Youngman cracked:  “She’s been married so many times she has rice marks on her face.”

SallyK

I love rice too. I especially like homemade fried rice. I'm not sure what I make is a Canadian version, but it is yummy.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,358 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Meadow Snow

With rice, I prefer a spoon instead of chopsticks, and that is generally how it's done over there, as far as I know, because like you say, rice + chopsticks = frustration. However, when I have a bowl of noodles I definitely prefer chopsticks. Once you get the hang of using chopsticks, I find it's actually easier (at least for the noodles it is). Also, when my mum and I were cooking for yesterday evening's dinner, a slice of carrot escaped and got stuck down the crack of the oven door. It was me using chopsticks that rescued the poor bugger! I won't deny that I was very smug when I successfully rescued the humble carrot with a pair of chopsticks (my mum hasn't ever got the hang of using chopsticks, and if we go to a Southeast Asian restaurant she'll always ask for a knife and fork).

SallyK
Reply to Meadow Snow

That is a very good skill to have.

Meadow Snow
Reply to SallyK

I got my dad to teach me how to use them prior to my holiday to Japan. But the best way to get comfortable with them is to just visit somewhere like China/Japan/South Korea - you either use the chopsticks or you go hungry!

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
SallyK
Reply to Meadow Snow

LOL, I would probably go hungry.

Meadow Snow
Reply to SallyK

I'm getting hungry for a nice bowl of sticky rice now... The only problem is we don't have any sticky rice in the house.

SallyK
Reply to Meadow Snow

Off to the market you go!

Meadow Snow
Reply to SallyK

TerryLT

I love rice too, but only eat brown rice. I'm so used to it now, that I don't even like white rice anymore. We even order our sushi with brown rice as most sushi places now have that. As far as chopsticks go, the only thing I use them for is sushi. They really work much better than trying to pick up a piece with a fork. I am impressed watching some Asian people eating a bowl of rice with chopsticks, so fast and efficient. I might starve if I had to eat everything with them.

Terry

HenryM
Reply to TerryLT

I eat sushi with my fingers, like bacon or pizza.

lovely
AlexT

I like the fried rice at Panda Express. ‍

Mayoman

The rice should be the "Sticky Rice" type for using chopsticks, it sticks together so it's easy to eat with chopsticks. In Cal, the trick is to wrap a rubber band around the blunt end, holding the sticks together at the thick end (obviously!!!). It's great for learning to use them. I got pretty handy using them.

In Ireland, you order your Chinese food and they ask "...you want fries with that!!! French fries and rice together is a common combination!! I know... Weird!

Mayoman

Kitty's son eats Panda Express almost exclusively... It's pretty good if they have a lot of traffic. Food is not sitting there for ages.

Mayoman
Reply to lovely

Never heard of Milk Gravy Lovely? Magoo

SallyK
Reply to Mayoman

It's very southern (USA) made of shortening, flour, milk, pepper. That's the only time I ever had it was when I lived down south.

TerryLT
Reply to HenryM

That could get a little messy when dipping into the soy sauce/wasabi mix! I can't eat my sushi without it, and I always have to ask for 'extra' wasabi!

HenryM
Reply to TerryLT

Wasabi is way too hot for me, and rather than dipping my sushi into soya sauce, I sprinkle a few drops onto it.  In fact, that's what I had for lunch today.

TerryLT
Reply to HenryM

Wuss!! Kidding!

Mayoman
Reply to SallyK

Interesting!!

lovely
Reply to Mayoman

I usually use the drippings from meat like cube steak, pork chops, and such. Then you add flour, salt, and pepper and let it get kinda brown. This makes a roux. I use canned evaporated milk mixed with some water. You can use regular milk without the water. Add the milk to the roux and stir constantly until it gets as thick as you want. It does thicken a little more when you pour it up. If it gets too thick, you can stir in some more water. It is so good over rice, and I like to take a homemade biscuit, break it open, and pour the gravy over it. Some use butter or oil if they are not frying anything, but the drippings from meat give it a better flavor.