Best colostomy bags for a reliable seal?

Replies
Views
Past Member

I've personally tried a few different ones. Overall, I think we can agree the most important part is a dependable, strong, lasting seal. The last couple brands (can't remember) I tried came off after a little bit of exercise or a solid day of running around. I now use Coloplast, and their seal seems to last the longest but still not reliable enough. I find myself constantly pushing in it and trying to make sure it's 100% stuck to my skin all around the stoma, throughout the day. Would LOVE to find a product that sticks well enough to not have to worry about any sort of leak for at least a few days. Anyone else find a better brand/product? Experience? Thoughts? Comments?

MUCH love and respect to EVERYONE on here - Mike

Abefroman1969

I use Coloplast for my ileostomy and was constantly adding barrier strips. It felt like my right side just had a mountain of stuff on it. In the hospital, I was given Hollister and I did like their adhesion system. It was not hard but soft and comfortable to wear. However, I did have to use the pink zinc tape around it. When I got home, I went back to Coloplast. After the change, I put on my hernia belt. So far, I haven't had to add anything to it. That hernia belt pressed the adhesives into place and held them there. It's now day 3 and no issues. The hernia belt was wicked uncomfortable. I need to add some foam to the rigid portion for more comfort. But if this holds, I'll be very pleased to not have to use "extras" to hold the appliance on.

Best of luck

Abe/Paul

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,485 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

ron in mich

Hi Mike, have you tried using a blow dryer on the warm setting and warming up the faceplate so that it sticks better? Also, make sure the skin is absolutely dry before putting on the faceplate.

xnine

I have always used Hollister two-piece. I think the weakness is not the bags but the rings. I have tried all the different rings and found Salts rings are the best. I often get 10 plus days using them with flange extenders.

WhirledPeas

I'm new (colostomy Feb '22) to this but I've tried Hollister two-piece and Coloplast one-piece. My digestion is still an issue, so I've learned more liquid = less time between bag changes. The Coloplast seems to hold up better than Hollister, but that's just my experience. I do use a blow dryer to soften the base and warm the adhesive to get a better seal against my skin. I just changed to the convex base, and it fits better.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
SallyK

Hi Michael, I use Coloplast SenSura Mio Convex 2-piece appliance. I use 3M Cavilon no-sting barrier film wipes before applying the appliance to my body... and a hair dryer to heat up the wafer. I also use Coloplast Brava paste around my stoma. I have used all this since March 2020 with no issues. I do use the small belt that is made for the Coloplast SenSura Mio Convex 2-piece appliance. I do have a Nu-Hope belt for when I am doing any activity that would require lifting. Love and positive vibes to you.

SallyK
Reply to WhirledPeas

Welcome WhirledPeas. Your name sounded familiar and once I thought about it for a bit, I realized it was an old joke about World Peace. LOL (Or a band from Texas.)

TerryLT

Hi Michael, well, my vote for best adhesion goes to Hollister. Coloplast just won't stick for me longer than a couple of days. I get six-day wear time with my one-piece, soft convex, Hollister, and I can stretch it to a week if I really want. We are all different. I do warm my flange with the blowdryer and make sure my skin is super dry. Also, hold it down for a good two minutes after application, holding your warm hand completely over the pouch with a good amount of pressure. I haven't had the adhesion fail me yet. I also find the Hollister more comfortable than the Coloplast.

Terry

lovely

I use Hollister and have not had a problem. Hope you find what works best for you.

Past Member

Hi, Hollister, CeraPlus #8958 works well for me.

Casper9

Hi Mike,

I have had my ileostomy for 27 years and have tried lots of systems. The one that works best for me is Convatec Natura 2 piece. I use Brava strip paste as well and it usually lasts 7 days. When I change my system every Sunday, I always lie down for 1/2 an hour and hold my hand over my ostomy. The heat from my body and hand help to create a great seal. I hope you find something that works for you!

Casper

AlexT

Hollister here. I don't like any of the bags that don't have the cloth edge like Hollister does. I change mine every 4 days and I'm extremely hard on the bags/seal.

Abefroman1969
Reply to AlexT

I'm coming around to your side on the cloth adhesive system, so much more comfortable to wear

TerryLT
Reply to Anonymous

Same one I use! Dependable and comfortable.

Linderr

Message me! Email in profile!

Happytostillbehere

Hollister one piece since I began October last year, haven't had any problems except once or twice or I forgot to make sure to close securely on the bottom! Both times in apartment, no big thing. Oh well, live and learn!

Hisbiscus

ConvaTec ActiveLife with a Hollister CeraRing