Exciting Breakthrough: Rectal Cancer Treatment Shows Remarkable Results!

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Mayoman

The latest NY Times has a piece on attacking rectal cancer.

A Sloane-Kettering colon cancer trial has had astonishing results. The treatment could take years to perfect and so would be a bit down the road a long while....BUT!!

A trial was carried out with 18 rectal cancer patients, a small number of participants, so don't open the champagne yet!! The rectal cancer completely "disappeared" in every single patient! This is the first time ever a tumor shrunk to zero and was found to be undetectable through every test they could use.

They seem to believe that this is a giant leap in cancer treatment for rectal cancer. Cancer is such a multifaceted disease and the "cure" in this case is just the beginning of a long road for patients.

Let's hope this is not a manipulated or overblown claim? It sounds promising. To find the story, check out below.

If you google. NY Times Rectal Cancer Remission/ or Cure. You can read the article.

Magoo

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,100 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

AlexT

Let's hope it works, it isn't the funnest thing to go through.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
SallyK

I wouldn't wish what I went through on my worst enemy.

Mayoman

Sounds like it might be the key to treating each cancer patient as a unique individual. The whole article is very interesting. They found a single gene mutation that they have identified will stop chemo from working, this new trial treatment reverses that and these patients were from that group with the cell mutation. Without this treatment, chemo would not have worked and they would have died. The cancer cells were gone totally. Sometimes flaws are found in trials. The experiment has to be repeated several times to confirm. They want to offer unique treatment for other causative gene mutations....eventually.

Let's hope it's repeatable. It seems like most people I know who died here on my street had some kind of cancer. My next-door neighbor lost six siblings to cancer and has a tumor herself now. This is familial, so this type of patient with a common mutation could be cured or at least treated. Great news for future treatment. I hope nobody thought I was being flippant...my dad and his mother died from cancer.

Magoo

Mayoman

One more thing, it had not spread to other organs when the new treatment was applied.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Past Member

I hope this is true. I'm being treated at MSK for colorectal cancer. In March, I had my over 6-hour surgery to remove my tumor. They have been great with my treatment, and I actually volunteered in a colorectal study. I hope my contribution is helping.

AlexT
Reply to Anonymous

I donated everything they sliced and diced out of me for whatever research they needed it for. It wasn't like I wanted to take it home, so why not donate? ‍

burru

I hope this works. It sounds promising. I had rectal cancer and just found out it has metastasized to my lung. I will find out Thursday what treatments I will be having. I went through hell the first time around. I am not looking forward to this.

SallyK
Reply to burru

I am so sorry. Sending loads of love your way.

Past Member
Reply to burru

So sorry to hear this. Sending you positive vibes and prayers.

AlexT
Reply to burru

Good luck.

#Highlyfavored
Reply to Anonymous

Hi MS18, I believe there is the best place to get treatment for cancer. I hope the best for you. I was not that fortunate and I had that same kind of cancer at an early age. If we can keep in touch, it will be nice. God bless and keep believing that all shall be by God's grace.

#Highlyfavored
Reply to burru

Burru, I will keep you in my prayers.

#Highlyfavored

Has anyone heard from Tiffany? It's been a while. I called her a few times but no answer.

AlexT
Reply to #Highlyfavored

Haven't seen her in a while.

Past Member
Reply to #Highlyfavored

I'm hoping and wishing all the best for you. Keep us posted.