Tips for Dealing with Brain Fogginess?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
SallyK

Anyone have brain fogginess? And how do you deal with it?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,102 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

HenryM

I don't have 'chemo brain' but I have it's cousin, 'old age brain.'  Same symptoms that you describe.  It is very frustrating.  I try to overcome it with a sense of humor and a modicum of acceptance, but that only gets me so far.  It is a phenomenon that keeps me fully retired rather than part-time.  I definitely lack the capacity that I once had to deal with complicated situations which was about all I ever did.  There are so-called mental exercises that are supposed to help 'seniors' stay sharp, but I have spurned those and they may or may not be for 'chemo brain.' 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Bill

Hello SallyK. 

The symptoms you describe are only too familiar to people such as Henry and myself who are getting on a bit in years.  They are also similar to the ones experienced by people with several other conditions  including shock, PTSD, TIA & stroke, mild brain damage from blunt force trauma, as well as many side effects from certain drugs, which is possibly where the term chemo=brain originates. They are also some of the symptoms now being explored as part of the long-covid syndrome. Thus, you are not alone in 'suffering' with  this condition.  It is true that certain regular brain exercises can help to stop further deterioration. However, it might be useful to discuss your concerns with a doctor or pharmacist to see if there are any of your drugs that you could change to try to alleviate some of these symptoms.

My own 'brain exercises' are largely confined to writing rhyming verse, which helps distract me from dwelling on the many negatives in life. It is also an activity that gives great leeway in terms of loss of memory and deteriorating ability to problem-solve.  Distraction is often extremely useful when trying to sort out difficulties with psychological 'stuff'.

I like Henry's concepts of a sense of humour and a modicum of acceptance but these are probably more appropriate to our age than yours.   However, there was a little book I once read called 'Don't Sweat the Small Stuff' which, as I recall (badly), gave humorous quips about things in life that really should not occupy too much of our brain time for too long. 

I do hope that you can find a way through to a satisfactory outcome on this issue.

Best wishes

Bill     

bowsprit

Chemo Brain, they have a name for everything! Perhaps it is a reaction to some drugs, so checking out what you take is important. Your comments and your response to difficult questions clearly indicate that you are like everybody else, perhaps above average. As far as being forgetful is concerned, nearly everyone suffers from it to some degree. There are exercises to improve memory and cognition, you can start with crosswords and jigsaw puzzles. That was a good reaction to your daughter's accident, to jot down what to tell her. People get very tense when faced with a situation like that. Above all, you must not dwell on it, let the doctors worry about chemo brain and its prognosis. All the very best wishes.

TerryLT

Hi Sally, my husband suffered from 'chemo brain' while he was undergoing treatment, five years ago, and maybe for a short while after, but the long-term issues he has to deal with are all physical. He is forgetful, but he is 75! I am almost as bad as him and I'm five years younger. I have to make lists all the time, and I've learned not to trust myself when I think to myself "I'll remember that." No, you won't!". I could not go shopping without a list, and have one on the kitchen counter, so I can add things as I become aware of them. If I hear about a new series that is coming up on Netflix that I want to remember, I make a note of it. Old age is the only thing I have to blame for it. I've just learned to live with it.

Terry

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Mayoman

So sorry you're feeling that way, Sally. Have you had Covid? These are all symptoms of "Long Covid" from what I've heard. My brother had Covid twice. Now he has a lot of these symptoms. I heard a podcast recently from Johns Hopkins saying this lasts up to a year. At least this fades. Have you changed medication? Anything different at all. I didn't have cancer, ulcerative colitis, and still have my rectum, and thankfully I've never had to endure chemo or radiation and feel so lucky. I hope there is a solution found to your problem. Get a pen and pad and figure out who can help you to figure it out, several opinions if possible. Nip it in the bud if possible. Keep us posted.

Love and hugs from Ireland, Magoo

lovely

Hi Sally, I went through chemo and radiation. I have the same symptoms but never thought about that affecting my memory and all. A lot of times I may ask my son something and he reminds me he told me about it, I just credit mine to old age since I am 81. I do work some word puzzles that is supposed to help.

Axl

I have the chemo brain you describe, but I've never had chemo.

Justbreathe

Hey Sally - I just read on the net today about issues related to low Vitamin B12. Included statements about memory loss which caught my attention cause I lost mine a long time ago. It said even blood tests that show B12 in a normal range may not be totally accurate. It claimed that B12 shots might be needed. Just thought I'd pass this along.

SallyK
Reply to Justbreathe

Thanks so much, JB.

AlexT

Like I said in another post, 1 sugar-free Monster a day..... I usually get the white can but the Ultra Paradise is pretty good too.

SallyK
Reply to AlexT

Thanks, but it is sweetened with sucralose, an artificial sweetener that my body cannot tolerate. And that amount of caffeine would probably make my heart race.

bowsprit

The medical profession is guilty of giving fanciful and somewhat intimidating names to everyday problems. A swollen taste bud, for instance, is called transient lingual papillitis. An ingrown toenail is unguis incarnatus. If you wet the bed at night, it's nocturnal enuresis; if you do it by day, it is diurnal enuresis. The condition called PTSD, suffered by victims of war among others, has been around for centuries. Cold steel bearing down on you atop a galloping horse was as trauma-inducing as anything else. Millions have caught COVID and recovered, only a small fraction develop long COVID and its symptoms. Perhaps there are other reasons which should be investigated. A psychiatrist once told me I could be developing manic-depressive tendencies, which alarmed me no end until I found that terrifying term referred to people with mood swings. Ostomates go through a lot; a few mood swings don't make you a manic-depressive.

SallyK

Thanks everyone!

Past Member
Reply to lovely

You look great for 81!!