Violation of Usage Policies: Happy Juneteenth Day

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Angelicamarie

Hello All, I'm wishing all a Happy Juneteenth Day. For many it was just a day off work but for others it has meaning.

Happy Juneteenth !

Bill

hello Angelicamarie.

Thanks for drawing this celebration to our attention.

In Britain on 28th August 1833 a very important act received its Royal Assent. The Slavery Abolition Law would finally be enacted, after years of campaigning, suffering and injustice. This act was a crucial step in a much wider and ongoing process designed to bring an end to the slave trade.

Like most new laws devised and enacted by those with vested interests in power, this law had so many loopholes which enabled slave traders to circumvent the laws  for many decades to come.  

Without going into too much detail, the trajectory of events leading to the abolition of slavery remain a significant chapter in British and global history, with important lessons for humanity as a whole.

I like to think of days of 'celebration' such as Juneteenth as days of 'remembrance', in the hope that history might teach us something about humanity's present and  potential future.

Best wishes

Bill 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,278 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

HenryM

I'm with Bill with regard to the importance of memorializing, but I don't think history teaches most people a thing. 

SallyK

Happy Juneteenth!

Bliss

Happy Juneteenth a bit late. :-)

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
PurplePrincess

I am late but was certainly celebrating. This year, we had a Juneteenth Program at work. The "Grandmother of Juneteenth" was our keynote speaker. She is 95! She walked from Texas to Washington DC at age 89 to bring awareness to the holiday which got millions of petition signatures then was made a federal holiday. I hung on every word she spoke. How inspiring!Happy Juneteenth Dr. Opal Lee