Ostomy Memories of a Mountain Pond

Replies
Views
HenryM

HIKING THROUGH THICK WOODS halfway up Cedar Mountain in Iron County, Utah, the path suddenly broadened, then opened up and I stood, catching my breath, staring at a copse of aspens that had leafed out a vivid green in just the past week.  Between my position and the line of aspens was a wide, still pond which fed into a gurgling creek off to my left.  There was a small camper parked next to the road that skirted the pond and an older couple, some fifty yards from me, on a little thumb of land that poked out twenty feet into the prerogative of the pond.  The lady was sitting in a camp chair, reading; her husband was fishing.  It was a simple, pleasing scene which captured my determination to plop down with my backpack against an ancient juniper and break out my two peanut butter and honey sandwiches.  The mostly uphill trek had been worthwhile just to reach this peaceful spot.  My guess was that the couple by the pond felt their drive there was worth it too, whether he caught anything or not.  “Many men go fishing all of their lives,” wrote Henry David Thoreau, “without knowing that it is not fish they are after.”  

AlexT

I figured out Mr. Thoreau's comment many years ago. I don't hunt to harvest anything (even though I do usually), I hunt to enjoy everything that God has put on this earth.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,507 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

HenryM
Reply to AlexT

You know, you can do that without a gun and without killing anything.  Just sayin'...

AlexT
Reply to HenryM

Yep, I know.

Mayoman
Reply to HenryM

Shooting them with my Canon works for me.... NO!!! Not that kind of Canon!!! They look much better afterwards but don't taste as good.

PS: There's never been much to hunt for food in Ireland... Ducks, rabbits is about it... just never had the experience except fishing which everyone did.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Mayoman
Reply to HenryM

Shooting them with my Canon works for me.... NO!!! Not that kind of Canon!!! They look much better afterwards but don't taste as good.

PS: There's never been much to hunt for food in Ireland... Ducks, rabbits is about it... just never had the experience except fishing which everyone did.

Mayoman

That evokes beautiful images, Henry... sounds like Ireland if the gods had blessed us with sunshine! Just added a pic of my "personal" beach... I'm usually the only one enjoying the azure water and cool winds, but had the pleasure of sunshine today... got soaked yesterday... felt great!