Beach Bound with an Ileostomy: Tips & Concerns?

Replies
Views
Past Member

Hi all,

Has anyone tried wearing a bathing suit and going to the beach with an ileostomy? I'm trying to push myself to try new things but I am a little apprehensive about going to the beach. The bathroom issue concerns me. Also, will the saltwater damage my bag? Any suggestions/advice?

Homie With A Stomie NS

Hunny, no difference like taking a shower with a bag on. Many suits hide the bag. Get a ruffle front or the shirts you wear over a suit. Perhaps use tape strips to protect from the salt and change afterwards if concerned... Other than that, dive in and have a blast.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,466 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

TerryLT

Hi MS, this topic was covered recently, and the consensus is that, yes indeed, swimming in the ocean or pool is perfectly safe. For myself, I have done both and regularly swim in my local pool. I have not found that either the saltwater or chlorinated water loosens my pouch or reduces my wear time. Some have said they feel that it reduces their wear time if they spend a lot of time in the ocean, so I guess it can vary from person to person. The type of pouch you are wearing may have something to do with it. Perhaps some adhesives stand up better. I wear a Hollister one-piece convex flange, and I get six-day wear time, which has not been affected by my swimming. Go for it!

Terry

Earth Angel

Hi MS18,

You can most certainly enjoy the water. I wear either tankini swimsuits or a swim dress as they both cover my ostomy well. I go to the beach every day that it's nice out and go in the water. I've never had an issue. Just pay attention to your ostomy just in case but you shouldn't have a problem. As time goes by, you'll be able to gauge when and if you'll need a change.
Don't be afraid to live your life! Enjoy!!!!

Mayoman

Hi MS18, I just spent most of today swimming in the warmish Atlantic Ocean without any serious problem. There are lots of posts on the subject.

A few things are worth repeating.

Tape all four sides of the wafer to your skin. Tape a 2-inch strip, half on wafer, half on skin along all 4 sides. "Micropore Surgical Paper Tape, I find that 3M brand is the best. Easy on / easy off and stays on in seawater, soap, shampoo. The tape gives you a 10+ minute window to escape to a bathroom or get supplies.

Put a strip of the same tape over the Velcro Closure. This tape will peel back and restick even when wet when you need to empty at the beach...most have porta-potties.

Just today my Velcro got half open during some vigorous swimming. I tug on the Velcro to check that it has clicked into a locked position, it was loose. The tape prevented the Velcro from opening any more.

I did not put the numbers in??? My phone is haunted!!

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Mayoman

The numbers are gone again when posted?

Past Member
Reply to Earth Angel

Thank you!

AlexT
Reply to Earth Angel

I'm not ashamed to admit it, I had to look up tankini swimsuit.

Past Member
Reply to Mayoman

Lol, thank you, this was helpful.

Past Member
Reply to AlexT

Lol

Mr.Heart2Win

You'll have a great time swimming. The right appliance is key as many have attested to. I live close to a lake, and a secluded beach area, with a wine bar, tons of fun. My appliance is so secure that it gives me enormous confidence, which obviously will affect your experience positively. Learn what to and not to eat, or drink before, during, and after. Having a restroom close by helps. You'll figure it out, once you are at the beach you won't think about it anymore. Just enjoy!

'

Past Member
Reply to Mr.Heart2Win

Thank you.

Earth Angel
Reply to AlexT

See what you can learn here, Alex? Lol

Mayoman

I prefer the monokini myself (I have MrsGoogle too!!).. gives the lads lots of fresh air!!

eefyjig

It took me a couple of summers post-surgery to figure this out, but: tankini with a larger bottom to cover the whole bag. I ordered the bottom separately on Amazon - type in "super high-waisted bikini bottom." This way, when you're in the water and the top starts to flow out on top of the water, everything that anyone can see on the bottom is completely covered. It looks awesome and is so reassuring. Enjoy the water!

eefyjig

COCOPEAR Women's Ruched High Waisted Bikini Bottom Retro Vintage Swim Short Tankinis (FBA) https://a.co/d/i5xQ3gR

The "ruched" bottoms are even better - they hide the bag even more.

Riva

I live in Florida all year. Wearing a pouch does not define who you are. Check out Ostomy Secrets for swimwear, stay hydrated and enjoy yourself.

AlexT

You just turn your phone upside down before hitting the smile emoji.

Mayoman

The upside-down smile is with the other faces somewhere in there.