Swimming: Seeking Advice on Protective Covers

In this discussion
Replies
Views
kmt

Hi, thank you for the tips on irritated skin.

What's everybody doing about swimming? Is there a good cover to wear?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,099 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

tarababy

Hi again, I was told that the only thing you needed to do was put that sticky piece over the filter before you went swimming or in the shower, stops water leaking in. Well, lesson learnt. I never use them as they are too easy to forget. And we can imagine where that's going. But to be honest, never worn anything but what I'm swimming in. Only problem I ever have is if I over-stretch with the right arm while I'm swimming. Seal breaks. Guess if you're active in the water... but I haven't worried about covering it more than what the clothes do and have no problems. Cheers, Tarababy

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
MrBillYTO

I do use those little sticky things over the filter when I go swimming. I find they really do work and since you get them with every box of pouches, I have lots...enough to have pretty much everywhere...car, backpack, suitcase, etc so they are always accessible. As for anything else, just the swimsuit.
Bill

Past Member

Depending on your type of surgery: Hollister has a cap that can fit over your flange that is pretty much flat. It would work with a colostomy since output is not constant. I don't think it would work with an ileostomy as there is not room to hold output.

sharon

Well, umm, I tried the caps instead of the pouch while swimming with a bathing suit. First off, I have an ileostomy, which the output is a lot more liquid than a colostomy and it isn't drainable (the caps). While not long after being in the water, it ballooned out, just full of waste. I must also say I was at a grotto with no public bathroom. I had to go into a cave and take it off and replace it with a drainable pouch. Needless to say, it was a lesson learned! I enjoy the water very much, so from now on, I just use my regular Convatec flange and pouch. I do not have to use those sticky things for my kind does not have filters (filters are a whole another story for an ileostomy in itself LOL). (THEY LEAK AT THE FILTER BECAUSE OF THE OUTPUT BEING LIQUID). Although after being in the water for a while, the adhesive at the flange gets ruined, so you just have to change the flange! Hope I was a little help. Good luck!

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
sweede
Hey folks, sorry I only just noticed this post. There are two options I can think of. One is a very desirable range of high-end swimwear designed especially for ostomates by Vanilla Blush. You can see their products at www.vblush.com. Nicola from Vanilla Blush has done a superb job of designing swimwear and lingerie for ostomates. There are one-piece and two-piece swimsuits available.
The next solution is the Dry Pro, and as far as I'm aware, it is the only ostomy and stoma protector with a watertight vacuum seal that can be used for showering, bathing, swimming, or any other water sports for that matter. It is a very useful piece of apparatus for those who have to purchase their pouches, as it fully protects the flange from water damage and prevents fluids from flowing in or out of the pouch filter. You can view the product at http://www.drycorp.com/content/waterproof-ostomy-protector-information/index.html.

Used in conjunction with Vanilla Blush's swimwear, you have the perfect solution for active swimming.
Past Member

Ok, so I checked out the two sites that Sweede mentioned.......

I've got to say that the gadget to keep your flange dry seems to me more of a hassle than anything else.

And I also checked out the site for lingerie and swimsuits and nice as they all are, one thing I noticed was that the models didn't seem to have scars. Do these ladies all have colostomies??

I've been an ileostomate for almost 23 years now and I wear a tankini for a swimsuit without anything holding my pouch in place. No issues at all.....as for those intimate moments............what are they?! Sorry about that, I have found items right off the rack at Victoria's Secret or other places such as those...

As nice as all the items are, I really didn't see any that would provide enough coverage for my system.

Thanks for the sites and suggestions, Sweede. I think I will just keep doing what I've been doing.

sweede
Hi Pisceschild, how's you lass? You've raised a very good point there actually. The swimwear models don't seem to have belly scars. I will contact Nicola on that one.

But I can safely say that all the lingerie models do have ostomies. I have met a few of them. For example, Pereira is the Ileostomy and Internal Pouch Association's young I.A. co-ordinator, and the rest are all members of British patient associations. They have all appeared on British daytime T.V. in their various lingerie as well. But like I say, I will contact Nicola with your query.
I also agree with the fact that the DryPro does look a bit cumbersome to put on. As with any new item, practice makes perfect. I know I felt like it was a huge mission to change my ostomy pouches at first, but now I can do a bag change in under a minute. So I guess in time, it will be no problem to adorn with frequent use.

Granted, it's not for everyone's tastes, but I have yet to see a watertight ostomy cover yet. The lady who makes the free designer pouch covers for my foundation is working on the project though, so perhaps one will be available soon. I plan on obtaining a DryPro to test drive as I aim to give one as a prize to members of my foundation in the summer. So I will get back to you as to how practical it actually is.

Unfortunately, I am a U.K. resident and am unaware if Victoria's Secret stores are available here. But I am very interested in the products you have found. Perhaps you could send me a link of the items you have purchased and, if willing, write a wee presentation recommending the ones you have tried. It will be of much use to the users of my site.

If not, then no worries. X
Past Member

Hi there, Sweede.

By the way, my name is Ann. Victoria's Secret is a lingerie store and catalog. You can probably do a search on it and find a web page for them. I do know that they have models from all over the world working for them.

I haven't purchased anything recently from them as far as lingerie goes, but I have found that bikini and/or thong type panties work the best and don't 'ride up' too high on the belly.

Even though you do live in the UK, I'm sure there are stores/shops there that sell intimate apparel for women.

And I took a sneak peek at your profile, and I must say you sound like a very busy young man who happens to be doing some very good things for others. Keep up the good work, and I look forward to more of your posts.

sweede

Cheers Ann, I will have a look at the items you mentioned. Being a hairy-arsed Highlander (can we say the word "arse" on here?), I'm afraid I am not that learned on items of ladies' intimate apparel and only go by what I am recommended. I kinda figure that would get me into a lot of trouble otherwise as I think any lady looks good in a thong, hehe.

But I guess I shall follow this thread closely for recommendations. Thanks for replying so soon. x

P.S. My name is Steve, by the way. Nice to meet you. x

Past Member

Hey there Steve, Ann here. Looks like you can type "arse" here and not get into trouble.
Seriously, there's someone here whose name is "s***bag" and if they post his name, I'd have to say that just about anything goes here!

sweede

Cool cool.x

sweede

Hey Pisceschild, I contacted Nicola at Vanilla Blush regarding your queries as promised and this is the reply I was sent back: (we were discussing other stuff also so it is just an extract from the email)

"As regards the swimwear model, yes believe it or not she does, she had keyhole surgery for her op and the lucky bi*ch has no scar, however she is coming off the site as she has just had the third part of the surgery and is now a pouchie, as is the Raquel model, again keyhole and no scar.
I have a fabulous new model for the dotty about spots range and she is going to do the swimwear as well.
So to make a long story short they all have/had bags."

There you go lass, laparoscopic surgery certainly is the way forward, hope this clears up the issue. Nicola is a very sound person and I very much doubted that she would deliberately mislead people.

I hope this finds you well.x

Past Member

Hi, I have an ileostomy and I am active in our Sr. water aerobics twice a week.
I am using Cymed Micro Skin Ostomy Pouching Systems #78400.
It's a one-piece opaque drainable pouch with a MicroDerm Plus washer
and it works excellent!!! It stays on, and there is no leakage with it.
I also use it if I am traveling or going to go out somewhere special.
I buy bathing suits with a boy cut leg, this hides the bag fully I find.