Emptying Closed Hollister Pouches: Anyone Else?

Replies
Views
Ileostokate
Aug 22, 2022 4:37 pm

Does anyone empty their closed Hollister pouches? I do on occasion. I know it's not ideal...but I don't like the size of the pouch you can empty. (I'm short, it feels so long). I also don't like the feeling of much in my pouch. If I emptied the closed pouch as often as I'd prefer, I could literally go through 8 or 10 a day.

Again, not ideal. There's a learning curve to it. 8/10 times it is not "messy" at all. I do worry about odor--not of the output but the chemical odor of the filter that drives me insane.

Anyone else? Just me?

AlexT
Aug 22, 2022 5:35 pm

You can smell the filter? Could you use kid-size drainable pouches? I believe they're smaller.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 35,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

xnine
Aug 22, 2022 5:35 pm

Maybe you need to try a drainable pouch.

AlexT
Aug 22, 2022 6:58 pm

BTW, there are no strange questions on this site. Well, except for decoding Abe's fan mail.

TerryLT
Aug 22, 2022 7:30 pm

I also am wondering why you don't just use drainable pouches? I can't even picture how you would empty a closed pouch. I guess it would have to be a two-piece? Didn't even know they made such a thing. I've never even tried using closed pouches because I knew I wouldn't like having to carry much output around and couldn't imagine having to change pouches several times a day. Like Alex said, no strange questions. We all can still learn something.

Terry

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Play
Homie With A Stomie NS
Aug 22, 2022 8:09 pm

I wear the drainable pouches and I empty every time I pee or need to urinate. Right, they are long but I learned a trick from here: use one of those small file clips, roll it an extra roll, and clip it. It's now the perfect length, and the clip stays hidden. You don't even know it's there...

Tuck and roll, empty away, girl.

Casper9
Aug 25, 2022 1:37 am

Some companies make smaller drainable pouches. I use Convatec Natura and I use the shorter pouch so I don't have so much bulk under my clothes. Maybe you could order some free samples and try it out?