Ostomy Memories Lost in the Crowd

Replies
Views
HenryM

WHO ARE YOU, REALLY?  Are you who you think you are, or are you the person other people see, or are you the person you really, actually are?  We’re all actors, after all.  No one wants to make a fool of himself.  Everyone wishes to make a good impression.  Few of us make an effort to stand out in a crowd.  Alone in your own home, that’s one thing.  But as soon as you set foot outside, where other people can see you, you adopt your public persona.  In many cases, one’s public persona is the drabbest, least provocative individual one can display.  Particularly in today’s hyper-aggrieved society, where strangers are lurking to strike out at people they perceive as enemies, it becomes personally dangerous to draw attention to oneself.  I recall the time I visited my daughter when she lived in Brooklyn.  We got on the subway, something new for me.  “Don’t look at anyone, don’t say anything,” she warned me.  This is the world that we live in these days, and it permeates all levels of life, right up to and including the most notable elective offices.  Even in the public square, grievance and adversariness have replaced civility and reasoned discussion.  WHO ARE WE, REALLY?  In a world where the difference between truth and falsity has evaporated in the thick, polarized air, does it matter?

AlexT

I'm pretty much a dorky old fat dude 24/7. I'm actually better now in public than before having an ostomy.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,380 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Homie With A Stomie NS

I am pretty much just me... always have had the attitude, "take me as I am. If you don't like me, keep on walking...."

Always stay true to yourself.

Tracy

Caz67

Very interesting post, Henry. I must say, I have a work persona and a home persona. If my patients see me out of work, they wouldn't recognize my lazy slang words and not to mention my cursing at stupidity while driving. XX

Abefroman1969
Reply to Caz67

I'm lucky enough to be friends with one of my absolute favorite nurses, and outside the hospital it is always fun to see her use colorful metaphors and incredibly foul language at other drivers.

She's an amazing person. I hope she never leaves the hospital as she is one that keeps me coming and manages to keep me feeling safe where others fail!
One good nurse can go a long way towards my recovery. Had a couple this week that have set me back several days by ignoring the pain and letting it get out of control.
You sound like the type of nurse that is best for me and I'd love that. Thank you for sharing good nurse times, I REALLY NEEDED it today. Thanks Caz!

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
TerryLT
Reply to Caz67

I'm with you, Caz! The main difference between my public persona and my private one is that my private one swears like a sailor! I'm not likely to offend anyone because most of my most colorful words come out when I'm completely alone, usually behind the wheel!

Terry

eefyjig

My different personality characteristics come out depending on who I'm with. I'm fine with that because I think they're all important: the ridiculously juvenile, the empathetic, the listener, the talker, the energetic, the couch potato. If I were all of them at once, there'd be smoke coming out of my ears. The only thing that's consistent is that I will always find farts or, in our case, stoma farts funny and I owe that to my older brother.

Caz67
Reply to Abefroman1969

Glad you have a good nurse who has a great sense of humor and is not afraid to be herself out of work, we are a rare breed lol. I'm sure we could get up to lots of trouble and fun if I was your nurse. Keep smiling Paul and the whole world smiles at you. Ps don't let the other miserable ba****s get you down. XX

Chiquis

Always enjoy Henry's messages. Thank you once again. I'm not a person with a pouch. I'm me.