Ostomy Memories of Sonny Barger

In this discussion
Replies
Views
HenryM

AS I APPROACHED A CORNER on my morning walk, a big Harley passed in front of me from left to right and, once I reached the corner and turned, there it was pulled over up ahead.  The rider had stopped to light a cigarette.  It was Sonny Barger, founder of the Oakland Hells Angels.  “I thought you were dead,” I said.  “No, my bike was stripped down for a while,” he said, “but it’s up and running now.”  He was much older looking than the last time I’d seen him.  “Where you headed?” I asked.  “On my way back to Oakland,” said Barger, adding:  “I been checking on some of our subsidiary clubs.”  “I don’t mean to be picky,” I offered hesitantly, “but there really should be an apostrophe in Hell’s Angels.”  “You may miss it,” replied Barger, taking a long drag, “but we don’t.”  “Well,” I said, chastised, “if rules don’t apply to you guys, I guess that includes rules of grammar too.”  “Yeh, but we do have some rules,” he said, offended.    “No IV drugs,” he proclaimed, “no ex-cops, no blacks, and no prissy women.”  He tossed his cigarette out and cranked up his cycle with a great throaty roar.  “Gotta go, dude,” he said, and took off down the road, disappearing around a curve.  The throb of the Harley engine faded away slowly.  No prissy women, I thought to myself, and smiled.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,090 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

AlexT

His story is a great one to watch.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Abefroman1969

I would have asked if he ever got H.S. Thompson to get the angels that keg of beer. But then again it's your memory and I like living!

TerryLT

Not likely that any prissy women would want to hang out with the Angels anyway. I'm glad you pointed out his punctuation error, Henry!

HenryM
Reply to TerryLT

I have found that being a 'grammar nazi' has its advantages... so long as I'm not with other people.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
TerryLT
Reply to HenryM

Can I assume that the use of "its advantages" was intentional? I'm not sure you would be capable of making this mistake?!

veejay

Four years ago here in Melbourne, Henry, the one-time leader of the Australian chapter of the Hells Angels, Chris Ball Bearing Coelho, passed away.

Ironically, in a car accident.

He had been a member of the Hells Angels for 42 years and reportedly once rode across America with your man Sonny Barger.

As for apostrophes, Henry, the rule in the printing trade was... "if in doubt, leave 'em out!"

Keep well. V.J.

HenryM
Reply to TerryLT

Good for you, kid!  I didn't think anyone would see it.  You past, oops, passed the test.

HenryM
Reply to veejay

That's a good rule in any venue.  If in doubt, don't.

TerryLT
Reply to HenryM

You were testing us, you scamp!? Well, does this mean I can join the "grammar nazi" club? I thought that the chances of you making this particular mistake on this particular post would stretch the bounds of believability!

Terry

TerryLT

Actually, I have my own "biker" story. When my husband and I bought our first house, the previous owner was a single guy in his early thirties. We could tell he was a biker because he had lots of the associated gear in the basement. He also had a pitbull, although we didn't meet him, there were pictures of him throughout the house and an area in the backyard where he obviously was kept. Several years after we moved in, we started reading and hearing stories about him in the news. It turns out he was a Hells Angels member and he was involved in some pretty serious crimes. We lived in that house for eighteen years. We just hoped that one of his enemies with evil intent didn't decide to pay him a visit without realizing he had moved. Eventually, he was shot to death while eating in a local restaurant. I don't think anyone was ever arrested for his murder.

Terry