Ostomy Memories of Cassidy Trail

In this discussion
Replies
Views
HenryM

MY DAUGHTER CASSIDY AND I went for a hike in Red Canyon, about seven miles west of Bryce Canyon National Park on Highway 12.  She particularly wanted to go on the Cassidy Trail, named for the infamous bandit Butch Cassidy who was neither as handsome nor as likeable as his portrayer Paul Newman.  The trail, supposedly used by Butch himself, is gorgeous, lined with ponderosa pines, cedars, and red rock hoodoos.  At the trailhead, the elevation is 7,320 feet, and it gets up to 7,980 feet at its highest point.  Both bikers and horses are permitted on the trail but, since we went on a weekday morning, we saw no one else as we hiked out about 2 ½ miles, then retraced our steps.  The dry and fresh Utah morning air was perfect for a walk in such a beautiful setting.  Our house was only about forty-five minutes away and I had already hiked several other Red Canyon trails, foremost among them the Golden Wall Trail to which I returned many times for solo hikes.  I return there now with regularity in photos and memory which burns no calories but captures the experience forever where I can access it easily and at will, what I call memory hikes.  Perhaps I should don my old hiking boots for these reminiscences, but I’ll save that for when I’m truly senile.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,095 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

AlexT

Why you left there for Florida is beyond me.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
HenryM
Reply to AlexT

On its face, given how I love Utah, it does seem nonsensical, doesn't it?  But I have some chronic health issues and we lived 2 1/2 hours from a hospital. (There is no city in Utah that I would live in.) Since we've returned to Florida, I've been hospitalized twice and the place is just a few minutes drive from our house.  Plus, all our relatives are in Florida and, when you reach a certain age, that becomes a factor.  In addition, Utah has a state income tax; Florida doesn't.  That's thousands of dollars difference in our annual income.  I may have renegade fantasies, but I'm basically practical, and so I bit the proverbial bullet.