Ostomy Memories of Golf

In this discussion
Replies
Views
HenryM

MY FATHER-IN-LAW AND I always had issues.  They remained generally unstated, as neither of us wished to face the prospect of open warfare in the presence of my wife, his daughter.  But we came from two substantially different eras and ways of life.  When the family gathered to watch “All in the Family,” he thought that I was Meathead and I thought that he was Archie Bunker.  [We were both right.]  His one attempt to lessen the divide was when he decided to teach me the game of golf.  The first problem was that he was not a good enough golfer himself to “teach” me anything.  I was on my own with his castoff clubs.  Second, we both had to strain to avoid the divisive subjects of politics and religion, matters which the two of us viewed from vastly different perspectives.  Thirdly, golf tends to be more a way of life than a mere game.  Since he was retired and I was still in school, I was never able to enter into the spirit of the thing with sufficient enthusiasm to gain much ground on par golf.  When you aren’t too good at a thing, you may tend to react with antagonism.  Ultimately, I decided that golf ought to be at least a misdemeanor.  I took up jogging, something that I could at least claim was legitimate physical activity.  I had long since developed disdain for those golfers who moved around the course in carts instead of on their own two legs, then told themselves that playing 18 holes was exercise.  I haven’t played a round of golf since my father-in-law paid his final green fee and left for the great clubhouse in the sky.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,100 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

veejay
Apparently Mark Twain described golf as a "good walk spoiled". So Henry that might explain the golf carts??
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
HenryM
Reply to veejay

I think Twain was thinking of the golf spoiling the walk, not the walk spoiling the golf.  LOL

ron in mich

Hi Henry my FIL also taught me how to play but in the mode of if your ball went in the weeds the hell with it and just toss one out and have a whack at it, we rarely kept score and his wife always ribbed him that was because he was a lousy golfer and she was better, but it was always light hearted ribbing. I sure do miss them.

AlexT

I've never stepped foot on a golf course and have no desire to.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister