Ostomy Memories of Advertising

In this discussion
Replies
Views
HenryM

MY FIRST GOOD JOB out of college was as a copywriter for a chain of department stores.  The advertising department was squirrelled away on an upper floor of the downtown store.  My cubbyhole cohabited with a few other writers and commercial artists who produced ads for the newspapers.  I was assigned to focus upon men’s clothing and hard appliances (refrigerators, ovens, etc).  The experience caused me to agree with the observation of Raymond Chandler:  “Chess is as elaborate a waste of human intelligence as you can find outside an advertising agency.”  In short, we produced drivel, pure bunkum, praising the supposed glories of the products to be found in the stores.  One day I was told that my copy for golf garb was so successful that people rushed into the stores waving the ad in their hands.  Is this why I got a college degree? I asked myself.  But the atmosphere around the place was very attractive.  The head of the office was a large woman who somehow managed to get into and out of a small Karmen Ghia automobile, but she possessed a sense of humor.  We often repaired to a bar around the corner where we drank a long lunch.  I bought an MGB and had breakfast at a deli across the street from my office every morning.  But the shallowness of the work I was doing finally got to me.  I put it behind me and never looked back.  I’ve never believed any ad I’ve seen since.  

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,095 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

bowsprit

Some advertising slogans do wonders for a product and are priceless. "Maybe she was born with it. Maybe it's Maybelline," and "America runs on Dunkin" are just two examples of it. If I had coined such phrases, my place in the advertising industry would be assured for life.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
HenryM
Reply to bowsprit

There are lots of great examples.  Here're five that spring to mind:  'Just Do It' Nike; 'Breakfast of Champions' Wheaties; 'The Best a Man Can Get" Gillette; 'It's Finger Lickin' Good' KFC; and, of course, 'Like a Good Neighbor, State Farm is There.'

bowsprit
Reply to HenryM

One from the past: Put a Tiger in Your Tank.

Bill

Hello HenryM.

This is an interesting post, to which I would add – ‘not to forget the commercial artists’.
According to my own family stories, one of my Grandfather’s claims to fame was to have designed and painted the Toblerone packaging.
A few years back I was reluctantly persuaded to write a rhyme to reflect my wife’s view of her favourite cars. So, this is a chance to share the rhyme/song with you.
Best wishes 
Bill

SUBARU.   (To the tune of  ‘This Old Man’)

Subaru, Subaru.
My heart trips when you’re in view.
With its sleek, slim lines, what could I do.
I fell in love with Subaru.

Subaru, Subaru.
How I love my Subaru.
With its all-wheel drive and grip so true.
Nothing beats my Subaru.

Subaru, Subaru.
Inside, outside, all like new.
With its comfy feel and all-round view.
 sink into my Subaru.

Subaru, Subaru.
Won’t slip and slide like others do.
It grips so well, it could be glue.
I’m under the spell of Subaru.

Subaru, Subaru.
Feels superb for me and you. 
It seems no dreams come into view.
Except my dreams of Subaru.

Subaru, Subaru.
My wife has one, my daughter’s two.
Legacy, Sport, and Forester too.
How we love our Subarus.

OLD Subaru, loved Subaru.                      (slow 1st & 2nd lines)
I feel so sad at leaving you.
But my love has moved to pastures new.
I’ve bought a brand-new Subaru.

Subaru, Subaru.
I’ve loved, and love, my Subarus.
With their sleek, slim lines.
Both old and new.
How I love those Subarus.

B. Withers (1999)
                         (p.46 In: ‘Contemplation’ (2010)).

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
HenryM
Reply to Bill

Yeh!  We are a multiple Subaru family.  It's a highly rated vehicle for safety and reliability.  We're presently driving an Outback.

AlexT

Everyone makes the best products, just ask them.

TerryLT

When it comes to advertising, I can never understand why it seems like so many advertisers are trying to find the most annoying way possible to get your attention. There are always around half a dozen commercials on TV at any given time that my husband and I race for the remote to mute them as soon as they come on. I have often sworn to never purchase an item just because the ad for it is so annoying. How is this supposed to sell a product? Some of them are so dreadful, I can't imagine who would enjoy them or think them amusing. As someone who used to work in the industry, any ideas Henry?

Terry

HenryM
Reply to TerryLT

I've never understood obnoxiousness as a purposeful action.  One of the things that attracted me to Subarus was how they used animals so sweetly and effectively in their commercials.

Bill
Reply to TerryLT

Hello Terry. 

I'm with you about being put off by obnoxious, annoying advertising. Some time ago, here in the UK, there were lots of adverts on TV aimed at farmers, clearly implying that they were imbeciles. I am not a farmer, but there is no way that these types of insulting adverts would have encouraged me to purchase any of those products. 

Best wishes

Bill

AlexT

You may not like the annoying AF ads but it makes you remember them, which is what it's all about.

TerryLT
Reply to AlexT

Yes, it makes me remember not to buy them!! This type of advertising really doesn't work on me. In fact, there are many instances where I don't even remember what the product is that they are advertising. So, if I did end up buying that product, it would be by accident. Either way, the advertiser's money is totally wasted on me.

Terry

TerryLT
Reply to HenryM

I'm with you. An ad with a cute dog will get me every time!