Ostomy Memories of Fall

In this discussion
Replies
Views
HenryM

FALL IS A FASCINATING TIME OF YEAR.  It can be gorgeous, yet it is the prelude to an often frigid winter.  Wild creatures are dashing about, amassing provisions for the long, cold haul.  The great trees, having expended all their remaining energy on their personal carnival of color, commence to shed their leaves.  “The one red leaf, the last of its clan, that dances as often as dance it can,” wrote Coleridge.  Autumn not only has its colors but also its unique aromas, the smell of fireplaces cranking up in anticipation of the winter season, the ever-present Halloween decorations yet to be taken down, the anticipation of the upcoming holiday festivities, either with glee or with dread.  Count me among the latter.  Rescuing our packed away cold weather duds, we sort through them with a mixture of fondness and fright.  Damn, I never noticed that hole in the sleeve before!  I get out my cold weather caps, my sweaters, my jackets.  The real winter stuff, the heavy jacket, the long johns, the snow boots, that I needed in Utah, can remain put away now that I’m back in my native Florida.  Although I’ve been in my house now for four and a half years, I’ve never even opened the fireplace, let along lit a fire in it.  Living in an older neighborhood, we had one kid come to the house Halloween night.  Now I’m stuck with all this candy.  Bad luck…  

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,104 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Justbreathe

Living in an adult gated community, we had no trick-or-treaters.

I suggested to hubby that he might want to get some candy (that we would like as well) just in case someone's grandkids were to come a-knockin'. I guess I failed to mention a small bag would've been fine. He bought a rather large bag of Reese's peanut butter cups - the variety bag. Damn, now I am hooked on the newest Reese's Fast Break bars! The trickery of Halloween is that you will get some good practice for the gluttonous upcoming holidays. But then, there's always the New Year promise you can make and break to "get shed" of those extra pounds! JB

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
ron in mich

Hi Henry, I love the fall season, but it means a lot of work as my yard is surrounded by trees. Plus, I have a couple of apple trees that need cleaning up after. In the spring, the apples are like dog doo, but like you said, the colors and smells, especially if there are oak trees nearby. The only part I don't like this time of year is the freezing rain as it makes such a hazard for anyone that has to be out in it.

AlexT

Maybe I just never noticed it before but this fall the tree colors have been awesome. For me, the true kick off to fall/winter is the migration of waterfowl. We had our first true cold front come through Thursday night. Friday morning was a big migration of waterfowl of all kinds...ducks, specklebelly geese, small Canada geese, a few flocks of snow geese, sandhill cranes. It's now officially fall and winter isn't too far away.

TerryLT

Hi Henry, I used to enjoy fall. The chill in the air meant I could talk my mum into taking me shopping for new warm clothes for fall and winter. As much as I loved the heat of summer, there was something nice about the changes taking place, the leaves turning color, the comforting foods my mom would prepare in the colder months. Now, I dread the change in temperature. I remember we used to laugh at the 'little old ladies' who wore sweaters in the middle of the summer. Now, I am one of them! I am always cold, and I would gladly move to someplace warmer. There are plenty of places with better 'climates' than here, that is, until it comes to the subject of politics. I guess I'm staying put.

Terry

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
HenryM
Reply to TerryLT

Down here in the good ol' USA, if Tuesday's midterms put our democracy on life support, it won't matter much where you live, we're all screwed.

AlexT
Reply to HenryM

Hopefully the Republicans get back to running things and fix all this stupidity.

TerryLT
Reply to AlexT

That's what I'm afraid of.

AlexT
Reply to TerryLT

I'm trying to mess with Henry.

TerryLT
Reply to AlexT

LOL! I'm sure you are succeeding!