Seeking Advice for Uneven Stoma Site

Replies
Views
sjassen

On one side of my stoma, the skin is indented. This bag usually peels off on that side in 3 days. I use extra tape to keep it from leaking. There has got to be a better way. Any suggestions?

AlexT

Do you use a barrier ring? Convex bag?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,473 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Marco789

Some people use a barrier paste for uneven surfaces... like Amber from Ostomy Diaries. Check her out on YouTube

https://youtu.be/g_NjNkMYZts

AlexT

I watched a lot of her stuff before getting surgery and once I got my bag.

gentlejohn

Agree, barrier ring and/or convex bag. I had leakage until I started using them. Theoretically you do not need to use both. I have found when I do my skin looks better. I change my ileostomy barrier on the 5th day and probably could go longer. I use Hollister products currently.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Homie With A Stomie NS

Use a convex pouch... Mine is the same, dips on the underside.... Convex pouch and barrier ring for extra protection. Then to be extra safe, I tape around the edges all around with medical waterproof tape... to allow showers in between bag changes 7 days.... A flat flange for you will not work.

Casper9

I have an indent on one side as well. I usually stick a bit of strip paste in the dent and then put a barrier ring on top, then my base plate (I use a 2-piece system from Convatec). It holds up really well for me. Might be something for you to try depending on how big the indentation is.

Casper