Seeking Advice for Uneven Stoma Site

Replies
Views
sjassen
Nov 25, 2022 2:52 pm

On one side of my stoma, the skin is indented. This bag usually peels off on that side in 3 days. I use extra tape to keep it from leaking. There has got to be a better way. Any suggestions?

AlexT
Nov 25, 2022 3:03 pm

Do you use a barrier ring? Convex bag?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 35,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Marco789
Nov 25, 2022 4:35 pm

Some people use a barrier paste for uneven surfaces... like Amber from Ostomy Diaries. Check her out on YouTube

https://youtu.be/g_NjNkMYZts

AlexT
Nov 25, 2022 4:37 pm

I watched a lot of her stuff before getting surgery and once I got my bag.

gentlejohn
Nov 25, 2022 4:59 pm

Agree, barrier ring and/or convex bag. I had leakage until I started using them. Theoretically you do not need to use both. I have found when I do my skin looks better. I change my ileostomy barrier on the 5th day and probably could go longer. I use Hollister products currently.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Play
Homie With A Stomie NS
Nov 27, 2022 8:10 pm

Use a convex pouch... Mine is the same, dips on the underside.... Convex pouch and barrier ring for extra protection. Then to be extra safe, I tape around the edges all around with medical waterproof tape... to allow showers in between bag changes 7 days.... A flat flange for you will not work.

Casper9
Nov 29, 2022 5:31 am

I have an indent on one side as well. I usually stick a bit of strip paste in the dent and then put a barrier ring on top, then my base plate (I use a 2-piece system from Convatec). It holds up really well for me. Might be something for you to try depending on how big the indentation is.

Casper