Tucking Ileostomy Bag Under Clothing: Thick Output Concerns

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Daria Luna

I'm pretty new with my ileostomy and I need feedback from people who tuck their bag under their clothing. I fear doing this because my output is pretty thick and I'm concerned about it not making it to the bottom of the bag. I usually wear leggings that aren't very tight at the waist. Should I be concerned or will it be ok if I tuck my bag?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,099 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

AlexT

You can help by lubricating the inside of your bag. I think you'll be okay to tuck it in.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Daria Luna
Reply to AlexT

Yes, I always use the lubricant. Ok, I'm going to give it a go, no pun intended. Thanks for your response, buddy.

AlexT
Reply to Daria Luna

You're welcome. I also highly recommend carrying a travel-size of flushable wet wipes for using in public bathrooms. Way easier than using those big rolls of toilet paper and trying to tear off pieces one-handed while you're holding your bag.

HenryM

I've been tucking it in since '64.  Can't imagine otherwise.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
TerryLT

Hi Daria, what to wear after an ostomy is always a challenge. A lot depends on where your stoma is located. I personally don't wear pants that are high-waisted, as I don't like restricting the ability of my output from moving to the bottom of the pouch, just as you are saying. My stoma is almost even with my belly button, so it's easy to wear pants or jeans that fit below my stoma. I do have some clothes that cover my stoma, i.e., my workout capris, but I empty just before working out and change back to regular clothes afterwards. If your output is quite thick and it can't move to the bottom, you do run the risk of pancaking. The lubricant is a good idea, but I would be checking frequently to make sure everything is OK.

Terry

TerryLT
Reply to HenryM

Yes, but I'm guessing your pants are quite loose fitting? It's a whole different story if you are wearing spandex or some other tight fitting material.

IGGIE
Reply to TerryLT

You could fold it like this and make it smaller.

HenryM
Reply to TerryLT

Spandex?  Tight fitting??  Why, you sexy thing, you.  

Daria Luna
Reply to HenryM

Along with my 80s hair and working out to Olivia Newton John's "Let's Get Physical,"

TerryLT

Hi again, I should clarify something. I do tuck my pouch.... that is, the end of it, into my panties, which are low rise also, and the way the pouch hangs, it just naturally fits into the waistband of my panties. So, my pouch is never hanging outside of my pants. It's just that my pants fit below my stoma, so that it doesn't have that pressure on it. So, it all depends on where your stoma is located. I would not be able to wear high waisted pants because the waistband would be right on top of my stoma, and it would be uncomfortable and could also damage the stoma. Does that make sense?

Terry

TerryLT
Reply to HenryM

Ha! I haven't been accused of that in a while!

Homie With A Stomie NS

Hi honey.... For me, because of location, mine is tucked into panties. Then, whatever pants I choose, I wear leggings, jeans, track pants, etc.... I have tried different underwear styles, but for me, bag in high waist style works.... Give it a try. You won't know the effects until you do, and remember, every day is a different day....

DLSarge
Reply to Daria Luna

I wear a two-piece for my 20+ years old ileostomy, and I have always tucked the bag end up under my underwear right leg opening. It gives me a sense of security, especially during those times when the bag seems heavy and it won't "explode"... henceforth the reason I do this. Accidents will happen.

SharkFan

Hi Daria,

You'll find as you go along that you'll feel your output when it's active. I had a problem with pancaking while wearing a support pouch. I've become a "belly petter". I'll casually "pet" the bag, guiding the output towards the end of the bag. I haven't had a problem with pancaking for months now. I wear a diagonal support pouch that helps keep the appliance in place above the beltline.

Hope that helps,

Shark Fan

Mimi6

Hi Daria,

I am an exercise professional so I pretty much live in leggings and find them extremely comfortable. The top of my stoma is at about belly button height, so the high-waisted leggings cover nicely and I try to keep them a bit on the loose side. I can also roll the top down under the stoma if I am just hanging around the house. I lubricate my bag every time I change it and that helps move the output down.
As for jeans, I either try to go high-waisted with some stretch in them or low enough to go under the stoma. I too tuck the bottom into my low-rise underwear and that works.
Just play with it and find what works best for you.

Vickie

Smokey

I do not tuck in. It prevents discharge from going to the bottom of the bag. I usually just wear my shirt over the bag so it isn't exposed. I also have a very nice cover for my bag. If my shirt should lift up, that is what is visible, not the bag.