Ostomy Memories Playing Possum

Replies
Views
HenryM

A POSSUM AND AN OPOSSUM are not two different animals.  The former is a colloquialism for the latter.  The word itself stems from the Powhatan language.  They are timid, non-aggressive marsupials that I often see in the early mornings when I’m out walking.  I also see what’s left of them in roadkill.  [Why did the chicken cross the road?  To show the possum that it’s possible.]  To ‘play possum’ is a term that comes from what the possum does when threatened.  It is said that the creature pretends to be dead.  But actually, what they do is more like fainting.  It is not a conscious act, so it is actually inaccurate to say a person pretending to be asleep or feigning ignorance is ‘playing possum.’  In the American south (where else!) there used to be a meal called possum and ‘taters (sweet potatoes).  Personally, I don’t even want to think about it.  The vegetable was probably collard greens, with corn bread on the side.  I’ll stick with grits, thank you.    

AlexT

Quite the handsome critter.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
SallyK

Years ago, someone from 'down south' gave my dad a can of potted possum. He thought it was a joke... never opened it... it sat on his 'collection' shelf collecting dust. Maybe it was real?

AlexT
Reply to SallyK

Tastes like chicken.

SallyK
Reply to AlexT

LOL Poor dad, he missed out.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
TerryLT

I found one of those critters in my front yard one night a few years ago. Didn't even know they lived in these parts! I think he was just as surprised at seeing me, as I was of seeing him. He didn't fall down and play dead, but he did freeze, and just stood there staring at me. I finally just went inside. Maybe he still lives in my yard, but I wonder how he gets along with the raccoons?

I'll take the collard greens and corn bread, yum, but a hard pass on the possum.

Terry

TerryLT
Reply to SallyK

My mum used to buy weird and wonderful things she would come across in the gourmet section of the grocery store, just for fun and curiosity. She came home with canned rattlesnake and alligator. I remember the rattlesnake was awful, full of tiny bones, but the alligator tasted like chicken!

Terry

SallyK
Reply to TerryLT

Your mom sounds wonderful. I guess most things taste like chicken.

AlexT
Reply to SallyK

Yep, pretty much.

vorcy1942

Do you want to check rates yourself? Visit Statistics Project Help and do it. Enter all information about your future order and know how much it will cost. To be short, I'm happy with the quality of help provided by the company's experts. I see that these people deserve to be called professional writers. I had a small conversation with the assigned expert, and it was enough for me to understand his background, his approaches to work, and assess the quality of papers he wrote earlier.