Inconsistent Output Frequency: Seeking Advice

Replies
Views
R

Hi. I've had an issue with output being a lot that keeps me running back and forth to the bathroom for hours and then nothing except gas for a couple of days. No output consistency. Thoughts/comments? Thanks

HenryM

Without more information, I can only suggest evaluating your diet closely, what you eat, how often, etc.  

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,466 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

w30bob

Hi R,

You got your ileostomy in December, but you didn't say why. What were they expecting to happen that would allow you to reverse it? We need some more info to help you out.

;O)

Bob

R

Oh boy...probably going to be more info than you want. Pain started at 11:30 pm and at 10:30 am the next morning, I went to the hospital. Pain 12 on a scale of one to 10. Worse than childbirth. It was emergency surgery that took 3 hours. The doctor was surprised. Two thoughts on why. I have COPD and have had to take prednisone numerous times over the years, so that was one reason mentioned. When I went to the follow-up appointment, that doctor said diverticulitis. He told me I could eat anything, as did the doctor at the hospital. I had no symptoms anything was wrong until the evening before the day of surgery. I've read a lot about diet and colostomy pouches LOL and tried to follow recommendations. I've never been one to eat at the same time every day (just when hungry). I do have to have a colonoscopy before the reversal because they don't want there to be any surprises when doing the reversal. Waiting to get it scheduled. So guessing 3 months after that if all is well.

Caros1

One thing you have to consider is what you're eating that contains sugar, even foods that contain sugar. I learned that food doesn't always absorb in the large bowels and just turns to liquid causing diarrhea. My surgery had me take Metamucil which helps. I am in the process of trying Dattex to help reduce output.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Ostomate & woundr

Hi, besides being an ileostomate, I am also an ostomy nurse. I have been since 02.

It sounds like you may have eaten too many nuts or seeds all at once. We were even taught in ostomy school that whatever you eat before surgery, you can eat after surgery... What I found out the hard way is that nuts and seeds can be eaten in small quantities if followed by food. I have since done more research and found this is true of so far all the other ileostomates I have spoken with. I have ended up in the hospital twice for this problem. Both times they wanted to cut me open, but that was unnecessary. You can irrigate an ostomy and at least attempt to break up the blockage, but since it was the weekend both times, their ostomy nurse was out and they couldn't contact her. Two different hospitals, by the way. One in California and one in Texas. If this sounds like it could be a possibility, next time you decide to eat nuts or seeds, attempt to eat something else afterwards to keep everything moving. Apparently, our guts have difficulty sensing nuts in the small intestine particularly. Hope this helps. Please let us know.

Itsinthebagnow

My surgeon had told me, "Eat anything you want!" Wrong. If I eat one piece of any raw veggie, it's a disaster of a mess. If I eat Pad Thai, I can't go for two days. I had to find the foods safe for me one bit at a time. I don't eat much. I eat the same thing for breakfast and lunch every day. And I control my output—with breakfast, I drink 8 ounces of prune juice with 1/4 dose Miralax mixed in really well, and 2 pints water. I fill and empty twice within 1.5 hrs, and that's all I have to empty all day. I'm retired so I can do this schedule. But if I was working, I'd figure out a similar scheme that fit the schedule. Predictability helps. But in the event I have an off-time event, I just find the bathroom or woods and go!

R

Hello. Gosh, I wish I was so regimented. I basically just eat when hungry. My diet doesn't vary much. I tend to eat the same things, just not at the same time. I've always been this way and stopped eating the foods that are said to cause problems. Never ate them much anyway. Finally went the last 2 days, the really gross ones. I was starting to worry thinking I might have a blockage. So much so, went to bed with make-up just in case.

Itsinthebagnow
Reply to R

You will find your balance along the way. Personally, I like to keep things simple so keeping breakfast and lunch the same foods every day just makes my life easier. I don't eat much, my appetite and exercise are low. No snacks in between. I concentrate on nutritious simple foods. My dinner is always a protein and a cooked vegetable that I know agrees with me. Raw veggies of any kind are a big enemy, as are cooked greens like spinach. I avoid nuts and seeds, and they are hidden in many foods, especially breads. You can adopt whatever eating schedule makes you feel best and in charge; just pay attention to the impact certain foods and timing have on your life.