My experiments with odor control

In this discussion
Replies
Views
chess124
for a while now i have been experimenting with a lot of differant methods of odour conrol whereby you place something in the pouch..
for anyone interested , here are my findings which i hope will be helpful to some people.please feel free to coment or add anything
i will give the name of the odour controll method and then a rough percentage as to the effectiveness all around so here goes

tic taks....... 70%
most cough drops..... 75%
eucylyptus oil..... 85%
ostomist mint drops.... 90%
auricare spray..... 65%
peppermint oil...... 85%
food essence almond/vanilla/peppermint etc.... 90%
washing up liquid..... 50%
washing powder.../ 75%
baking soda.... 85%

this is everything i have tried and my findings are based upon around 6 months of trials
i personaly have come to the conclusion that some of the cheapest methods are the most effective. hopefully these findins will be of benifit to some here..please leave comments as to your own experiences here...thank-you
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,099 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

weewee
have question what are these you listed
washing up liquid..... 50%
washing powder.../ 75%
and for your test i just read that if you are eating organic oranges that i helps with the odour it says that we get all minerals we need from eatting 4 a day well i now that we have to watch the pulp part will be asking the doctor about this cause the last thing i want is a blockage i will juice them but some of the minerals are in the pulp so questions and more questions to be answered
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Katman
I have to say that the best thing I have found is a product called na'scent.It is absolutely wonderful. It also seems to have the effect of lessening the amount of gas generated in my bag at night. So... less wakening (okay, less getting up!), and less smell... Great stuff.

Katman
yaya
Hi and Happy New Year. Are you talking about Na'Scent Iodine? I've tried to look it up but all I could find is Iodine for treatment of Thyroid. Is this the produce you are talking about? Also, if used will this hurt the stoma? Your thoughts please. Thanks much, take care. Jody
Katman
No, this is not what I mean... This forum actually put me onto the product. They will send you a free sample to try if you would like. I believe currently they only sell in the US. Us Canadians have to get inventive. Other countries... well, sorry. I don't know.

Their web-site (hope this is allowed) is : http://www.nascent4u.com/samples.php

As for stinging... haven't had any. But then, I'm not putting it directly on my stoma either. Just one or two squirts in the bottiom of the pouch and viola! I have had it on my skin and no problems. And as I said, no stoma issues, so I don't think you need worry.

Happy new year!

Katman

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
lottagelady
Hi - I emailed them last time we were chatting about Na'scent and unfortunately not available in the UK as yet ...... just US and poss Canada .....

Rach xx
weewee
well rachel maybe some one here can send you the product alls would need is a place to send it to
Past Member
do you eat the food stuffs or put it in the bag,only someone told me to eat polos,
lottagelady
Hi Maggie - try popping a couple of tic tacs or a polo into the bag when you empty/change it - it does work to some extent!

Have you tried any of the Adapt rings or Eakin seals yet? Think one of those may help your crease problem a bit - also maybe try a convex flange rather than flat - that was my turning point!

Happy New Year!

Rach xxx
mooza
Has anyone heard of 78500Holliater adapt am told at our ASSOC. that for colostomys its gr8 even i use it i have ileostomy thats when i remember Well u all have heard of it now heheheh HAPPY NEW YEARS GUYS XXXX MARE - MONSTER -MOOZA
lottagelady
Yes I use that one - its a lubricating deodorant .... haven't found it to be much use on the deodorising front particularly but does help with the pancaking if the output is thick which mine quite often is ....

Rach xxxx
mooza
gee rach i think its great for ileostomy's for me deodorising great still not the same as you darling..... it wirk fantasstic 4 me cant fault it kiddo x mare -mooza
Past Member
I have used mouthwash mixed with a little bit of water. My ET nurse told me that last year just after I got home from my surgery. Cheaper than buying the deodorant I find. She said it does the same job. I have even used just mouthwash without diluting and had no problems.
Frank
Past Member

wouldn't this backfire by creating the wrong association when you want to eat something flavored with almond or vanilla or even peppermint (etc)?
mooza
we dont pay for deodorants or gas pills so sorry if u guys have to buy all this stuff we havs lots of choices ...PROTEST TO YOUR GOVERNMENTS not good enough makes me so angry to know antone parts a cent pay enough with illness grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr bastards xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx pay delivery i post wateva u want xxx only p/handling an u get ostomy supplies and steak knifes not but 2 xxx mare ;mooza
kpaulrichards

Using mouthwash in pouch for odor is not a good idea -- your externally exposed bowel (ostomy) should not be covered with a mouthwash substance.