Colostomy and 'Popping'

In this discussion
Replies
Views
saffa77
Hi all

Was wondering if you can help me, I have a colostomy now for 3 months and will have it for a further 3 months and then will have it reversed. I have been off work for these first 3 months but will be returning next week and am absolutely terrified of my stoma 'popping' at the wrong moment like in a meeting etc - how does one prevent this from happening? No one knows at work about my stoma as I don't feel confident enough to explain it all to them as they are all my age and guys. Food wise, what should I avoid for gas or are there tablets etc. that you can take to control it? Any tips or advice would be lovely. PS have heard that peppermint tea is good?

Saffa
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,102 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Whoa
Nurse
Saffa

I think you would get the best advice from the folks here that have colostomies, and I hope they answer this.

In general, the things that made you gassy prior to surgery will do the same. Spicy foods, beans, eggs, cheese, cabbage, broccoli, onions, garlic, etc. are known gas producers. I don't know of any tablets that completely prevent gas. Some folks have had some luck with Beano tabs or liquid on food; Gas-X tabs might be of benefit. Peppermint tea is supposed to calm the intestines but I have no idea how much you would need to drink, etc.

You may want to look back at the past 3 months and what foods set off gas, then not eat those possibly hours and the night before your meetings.

Anyone have any suggestions for covering up the noise if some gas should slip???
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Past Member

This is always a concern. If it were me, I would talk to someone in charge at my work and see if I could be excluded from any meetings... at least until you get a better handle on how and when your body will react to certain foods and drinks. You don't have to be specific as to why... just ask if you can be excused because of your recent surgery. The other option is to tell everyone up front, which would be less stressful, but everyone will know your business. I had a similar situation at my work awhile back... I asked the service manager if I could be excused to get some things done while everyone was out of my way and also to watch the office for walk-in customers. He agreed... no questions asked. If you have a meeting first thing in the morning, better avoid breakfast until it's over. I use irrigation now and it greatly reduces gas as most of the bowel is empty... still, the threat of an escape will not be eliminated, only reduced. Hope this helps some.

funnygurl

Try putting your hand or arm over your stoma when this starts and it should muffle or mask the sound. Works for me and some others I have heard of. I am a 4-year colostomate. Let me know how it goes.

funnygurl

saffa77
Hi all

Thanks so much for all your advice, I have been reading up online and the stoma nurse also told me that drinking peppermint tea helps, so I have been drinking about 3 cups a day and do find that it has helped. I also noticed that if I don't eat too much, I'm okay the next day. It was my first day back at work today and I only managed half a day as I was getting tired and my stoma didn't make any noise. But I hope she behaves because our office is so quiet and it's all open. But if I feel anything coming, I will try to muffle it!!! Thanks all. I also noticed that if I relax, you can't hear anything, but if I worry, then it pops. But it doesn't happen too often during the day!

Thanks all.

Sx

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
TexasGirl
Hi Saffa. Congratulations on being able to go back to work. I can understand being tired. It takes a while to get back in the swing of things. Don't push yourself and make sure you get rest. It is so important for the healing process.
As far as the gas noises, I limit what I eat prior to going anywhere. Onions, milk, even Triscuit crackers are a big no-no for me. When it gets too bad, I use Gas-X. It will help somewhat. I'm glad to hear about the peppermint tea though. I'm going to try that. I was wondering if even peppermint lifesavers or something of the sort would work. I hope you have found something by now and if so, let us know. Best wishes to you! Debi
Past Member

If I want to slow my colostomy down and stop gas prior to work or perhaps bowling or some activity that involves a lot of bending, I take 3-4 over-the-counter acetaminophen with codeine. Now, it's a fine line here. This amount works for me. I'm not suggesting this for everyone. If you overdo it, you're going to bind yourself up and start to cramp (been there, not pleasant). It's the codeine that works as the binding agent. I have had my colostomy for 20 years, and this is all I have found that works other than not eating.

Snowwhite

I was reading your question... it happens to me a lot. I always say "my stomach is rumbling, better get some food in me." I have never even had one person look at me funny.

sweede
Hi Saffa,

Right after surgery, it may seem that you have a lot of gas almost all the time. Most abdominal surgery is followed by this uncomfortable, embarrassing symptom. As the tissue swelling goes down, you will have less gas.

Eating regularly will help prevent gas. Skipping meals to avoid gas or output is not smart. Some folks find it best to eat a smaller amount of food 4 to 5 times a day.

Odors are also a concern, especially in enclosed places such as meetings, and are usually linked to gas, loose stools, or diarrhea. They also produce above-average amounts of gas and odors.

Foods such as eggs, cabbage, cheese, cucumber, onion, garlic, fish, dairy foods, beans, alcohol, and coffee are prime candidates. If you find that certain foods bother you, avoid them.
Some medicines, for example, vitamins and antibiotics, cause more gas and excess odor, although gas and odors are generally worse with transverse colostomies.
If the colon is emptied well, gas and odors are less likely. Irrigations may be helpful for some folks. Although I'm not sure it is practical so soon after an operation, and if you only have a few more months with your colostomy, perhaps it's not really worth considering the idea anyhow.

But at the end of the day, everyone produces gas and expels it at random moments. If you are in a meeting sitting at a table, even the table itself will muffle slightly where the gas has come from, and unless someone else around the table has an ostomy, I doubt anyone will think anything other than you have had a random bout of flatulence.
Shitbag

OK! It's called "Farting" but at least your farts don't stink! Well, they do, but they're in a bag. Thank God! They stink! I worked with a couple of guys who were always trying to out-fart each other. So, one day in the back of the crew-cab truck, I quietly burped my bag. Well, that truck was pulled off the road and those guys out of it so fast, gasping for air, and never another farting contest when I was in the truck!

sweede

Dude, that's the funniest thing I heard all week!!!

budd002

I have 2 boys and they like to try to kill each other with the "fart game". Well, I can only take so much of this game. I quickly put a stop to it and WIN when I "burp" my bag. I ALWAYS WIN!! Because we know how rancid the smell can be.
softncuddly

In my experience, I have been an ostomate for seven years now (ileostomy), unless I'm totally relaxed in a situation my stoma makes absolutely no noise, doesn't mean it's not being active, just for some reason there is not a sound. Now if I eat nothing all day and all of a sudden eat a little bit, there is a competition between my stomach and my stoma between food grabbing and gas output..... I wouldn't worry about noises, they are easily passed off as stomach gurgles and the hand over the stoma does work to muffle out noise. Now emptying the pouch at work is a different story, I would try and use a single bathroom if at all possible because the stench is not forgiving to the other stall users LOL

saffa77

You guys crack me up LOL - Yeah, I have been to work for 4 days now and it all seems to be going alright - My stoma usually works in the morning and then I don't change that bag until the next morning unless it fills up a little in the day. Are you all on a regular routine too? I find the morning to be okay, then go out for lunch and stoma might get a bit active around 4-5. Hope Homer the stoma remains like this as no one is aware of stoma at work.

Sx

sweede

Good to hear Saffa.x

kenny_renny2002

Hi, it's Kenny here. New on the net. Wanna make friends but don't know how? Please reply.

weewee

I use Beano. If you use it before you eat, it will help with the gas. I use the liquid, not the pills. The pills take longer to work and haven't had that good outcome with them as I do with the liquid.

saffa77

Hiya weewee

What is Beano? - I see a lot of people talking about it - is it just a US product or can you also get it in the UK?

Sx