Dōngzi and Lohri.
Meán Geimhridh, Brumalia.
All celebrate with me.

B. Withers (2003 )

Puppyluv56

Nice, Bill!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,315 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Pirrip

Makes me want to crack open a Bud, roll up a fat one, and play my Tele real loud. But my neighbors are nice, so maybe I'll just watch TV...

Bill
Hello Candy & David. Thanks for your replies to this blog. This festive season has always been a difficult one for me because I kept getting invited to parties, meals and get-togethers, which I tend to decline. This was partly because I did not eat during the day, partly because I don't celebrate Christmas and partly because I don't drink alcohol and most of the 'sessions' were an excuse for people to drink in excess. My associates often acted as if I was antisocial for not responding positively to their invitations, but they did not seem to realise that after a few drinks, it was them who are not very sensible, communicative or very good company. For years they would enter light-hearted bantering about me being a miserable old git, so I decided to search for something I could tell them I celebrate at about the same time they were getting into the festive spirit. The Winter solstice seemed like an ideal solution. It was not a 'human, made-up' event but a celestial phenomenon which has significance in terms of the natural seasonal cycle. However, nowadays when I tell people I celebrate the solstice, there is a tendency to jump to the conclusion that I must be a 'Pagan'. Whilst I am aware that Pagans do celebrate each solstice, I needed to establish that I do not follow any belief system, other than my own. Hence the reference in the last verse to other religions who celebrate the solstice. I also wrote another verse called 'What I am Not', which makes it abundantly clear where I stand regarding all religious organisations. I do recall blogging 'what I am Not' on here some time ago so it should still be available in my past blogs. For my friends on here who are religious. - My views on religion are not 'anti' the basic tenets, such as being moral in one's outlook or trying to get on with one's fellow human beings. My own aversion tends to be towards those religious organisations with hierarchies, rules and dogmas which discriminate against anyone who doesn't fit into 'their' idea of what we should believe in. They appear to expect respect from everyone towards them but do not seem to respect the independent views of others. As I use rhyming verse to try to create some logical order in my thinking, I have written many verses devoted to this field of study. Interestingly, one of the colleges I attended many years ago, was a theological college and for 2 years I was involved in discussions with enthusiastic evangelical religious folks about my beliefs. During this period, it was heartening to be told that most of them felt that my beliefs were basically not that different to theirs, except for my perception of their organisations. Enough of that for now as this site is probably not the most appropriate place to be airing these concepts. Best wishes and enjoy the festive season. Bill