Stoma retraction

Replies
Views
Sunshinealot

What is the reason or reasons a stoma retracts

Beth22

Couple.. could be from if there was excessive tension on the bowel(during surgery) mucocutaneous separation (where the skin separates from the stoma )and as it heals could cause your stoma to retract, ischemia is another one, and another is if the stoma wasn't stabilized correctly during surgery .. those are couple different reason.. member everybody's body is different.. if your retracted and nothing is working I would make an appt. With your surgeon.

Are you leaking ?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,377 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill

Hello Sunshinealot.
Thank you for your post and thanks to Beth for replying with some useful suggestions. 
My question would be: Does it retract and stay that way or does it fluctuate in and back out?
if the answer is the former, then It is probably something that the surgeon needs to know about. 

My stoma reacts to several stimuli by retracting, but as soon as I leave it alone it quickly reverts back to its original position.
I feel these things are quite 'normal'  - but for clarity, the main things that get it to retract are:

Cold water; pressure; washing and, I deliberately wear a pressure pad to try to prevent my peristomal hernia from getting any bigger.
Best wishes

Bill

w30bob
Reply to Bill

Bill........that's really interesting!Now that I have a 'rosebud' I don't notice it shrinking or growing as is being discussed. My prior stoma was essentially flush, and didn't notice it protrude or retract either. I do notice that when I first get up my new stoma is not as "red" as it is when it gets going. But I've not noticed it moving in or out to any appreciable degree. Interesting how different things can be between ostomates. Maybe the difference is you're looking at colon and I'm looking at small bowel. It would be interesting if others chimed and with their experiences and mentioned if they had a colostomy or an ileostomy. Thanks for your reply!

;O)

ron in mich

Hi all i did a change this morning and usually i dont have much of output but today it wouldnt let up, i wash around itand it squirms around and more output comes out, but when i actually wipe the stoma off it puckers up like its about to spit out a watermelon seed.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Beth22
Reply to ron in mich

lol mine too everytime I touch it goes crazy little feisty thing .. mine never stays quiet so changing is very hard.. I love your wording puckers like gonna spit out a seed..

w30bob
Reply to Beth22

Really?It moves when you touch it? That's fascinating.......and weird. Why would it do that?I would think the only thing that made it move was peristalsis......but maybe with now having a free end......that's what peristalsis looks like at the end of the line. Very interesting.........I'll have to check YouTube for some videos. I need to see this!!

;O)

Beth22
Reply to w30bob

Lol I have a weird stoma for sure hahaha yeah she moves when I touch her.. there's two different movements mine will do when touching her one she will start talking and let's loose or two she just gets angry and moves all over the place without talking

w30bob
Reply to Beth22

Wow......think of the fun you could have with that at a bar!I'm still amazed it does that. Wow.

;O)

LFBlas

Mine moves up and down when output is about to come out.

Beth22
Reply to w30bob

Lol she's not normal . She is quiet when in water though ,very rarely does she move when I'm in the shower, so hoping when summer come it will be like that in a pool.