Food - cabbage

Replies
Views
CrappyColon

Can anyone tell me real quick if raw-ish cabbage like in cole slaw is ok with no colon?

Happytostillbehere

I buy the store-bought coleslaw with finer pieces and I have never had any problem having it.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
CrappyColon

Well I tried it at this German restaurant since i didn't see a reply so we'll see how it goes

HenryM

I eat raw cabbage often, just cut out chunks and chew on 'em.  I've never had a problem.  

Ben38

It's ok for me, as with all food I can't tell you if it's ok for you only way you can find out is to try it for yourselfjust a small amount then if it was to cause a problem it will be short lived.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
CrappyColon

Currently curled up in a recliner in a fetal position with a heating pad, so ;I don't think me and anything with cabbage will be friends anytime soon. But there was also something else I tried that I didn't know had apples in it and I haven't been able to eat anything &lsquoapple' since I had my colon removed including applesauce so it could be the combination of the two. This is why brain thinks food is evil

Wildflower 81

Sorry it didn't set well, but now I'm hungry for cole slaw

CrappyColon
Reply to Wildflower 81

It's ok, me and the heating pad are current besties. I ;drank a café au lait too which I think is helping? I took a peppermint/ginger/fennel gel so maybe that gets some credit too.

I'm glad you're craving cole slaw now

Wildflower 81

It would go well with the BBQ chicken we are having tonight, but none on hand.....what kind of tummy issues are you having?

CrappyColon
Reply to Wildflower 81

If not for distance I coulda shared

Based on where the pain is I think it was in my stomach for a while. Now based on swelling I think it's made its way into my small intestine. Heating pad and hot liquids, now just water seems to be helping. Going to try for a walk later but it's rainy/cold here.

Wildflower 81

Was the cabbage shredded or finely chopped?

CrappyColon
Reply to Wildflower 81

Hmmmm. I just took a survey and the consensus is shredded. Long pieces.

tmn68
Reply to CrappyColon

Have you ever tried coca-cola for blockages? Works every time .

CrappyColon
Reply to tmn68

Just went out and got a sonic Cherry limeade. Carbonation is carbonation right? Unless coke has magical properties I'm not aware of?

Wildflower 81
Reply to CrappyColon

The cole slaw you ate was long pieces (shredded)? Consensus says chopped to be easier to handle?

CrappyColon
Reply to Wildflower 81

I surveyed my family since there are leftovers here . So their consensus is long, shredded pieces. Not finely chopped. The husband thinks I would've had to chew it 300x's (his words) for it to be in an easier to digest form

Ostomate & woundr
Reply to tmn68

What a brilliant idea why didn't I think that sooner thanks for sharing I will keep that one in mind.

Ostomate & woundr

I'm make eat homemade coleslaw with buttermilk dressing that I absolutely love it's not as sweet as some of the store-bought versions however remember that cabbage particularly raw cabbage can cause a lot of gas and that can also be causing your discomfort. Any vegetables that are typically listed as gassy have the potential to give you discomfort in your abdomen I would say probably a year or two after your last surgery on your guts. I buy the Taylor farms cabbage from Amazon.

Axl
Reply to CrappyColon

Sorry I'm a bit late madam, never had any issues and I eat my fair share of coleslaw and the like.

arlencohen212
Reply to CrappyColon

I think coke has something in it that's highly secretive. It clears my kitchen sink and it's great for the toilet bowl to get off cacked stools!! I use just plain hot water to help with blockage r me rand that works for me. I keep drinking and March in place. It may take a few hours but it always passes and it is good exercise.

CrappyColon
Reply to Ostomate & woundr

Sounds like it will be 1-2 years before I try again

CrappyColon
Reply to Axl

You get a pass with the whole time difference thing

tmn68
Reply to CrappyColon

It's Coke only for me

CrappyColon

So I swear, and i don't know if it's possible... I was getting a migraine infusion cocktail today and toward the end the nurse fully opened the bolus iv with saline in it so I wouldn't have to sit there as long... and this is the part I'm not sure about because I didn't ingest it orally but it seemed to have pushed the cabbage that was still stuck faster through my small intestine. Possible or coincidence?

NewlifeVictoria
Reply to CrappyColon

Good morning

I have issues with many foods and I don't come here much but I can't do dairy and fruits and vegs much only a couple and many things bother me as I won't ever even try again cabbage I was thinking I was having a baby and had to pick it out of the stoma sorry just being honest o would be careful what you eat done eat mostly everything happy for them! Hope everyone is doing good June 1

victoria

Feb9HH
Reply to CrappyColon

Man didn't you think we would be able to eat anything after this surgery. Im still so limited lol. Sometimes I just know it will be worth the pain. Maybe not for cabbage though. Mine is potato skins

debbinmiller
Reply to CrappyColon

I am so sorry you are suffering. I make a Polish dish, Holushki (sp?) with sauteed cabbage, butter, onions and noodles often and haven't had any problems. I'm so glad since I love the stuff. I guess everyone is different and will react differently to certain foods.