Dietary Advice: Rice and Pizza with Ileostomy

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Doreen 21

Hi all, I have a relatively new ileostomy and am slowly reintroducing food back into my diet. Am I ok to eat white boiled rice? How about pizza? Thanks all.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,102 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Justbreathe

Keeping in mind we are all different - I too have an ileostomy (almost 3 years) and have eaten all types of food, nuts, etc. with no issues - the only advice I can give would be to eat slowly and chew-chew-chew.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
HenryM

Rice and pizza?  Two of the staples of my diet.  No problem. See 'Ostomy Memories of Rice' under Collections, Memories by HenryM.  

CrappyColon

Just watch your pizza toppings like mushrooms. But pizza itself falls under soft foods so it was one I was able to introduce fairly quickly. I think others have answered about white rice being ileostomy friendly.

eefyjig

Hi Doreen, both are good, just don't eat a ton of rice in one sitting. Foods like rice and quinoa can form a paste and block up your stoma.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
TerryLT

I eat both rice and pizza with no problems, that is brown rice and whole wheat crust pizza. Yeah, it's the toppings you might want to consider as some have problems with things like mushrooms. I eat anything and as long as I keep hydrated and chew like crazy, I'm fine. Everyone is different and the only way to find out is to experiment yourself, starting with small amounts. Good luck.

Terry

Axl

I love to eat everything. Rice and vegetables slow down the digestive process considerably and firm up the output for me.

Lazar

I eat a lot of boiled rice and have no problems whatsoever

Chiquis
Reply to Justbreathe

Yes. We all tolerate things differently. Yes, chew, chew, chew.

Regarding rice and this advice is from www.nutritionfacts.org. They are finding unusually high levels of arsenic in rice. So less is better. I'm a Registered Dietitian and try to keep up on these facts. You will find the above website to be very informative.

Justbreathe
Reply to CrappyColon

I think you have mentioned mushrooms in previous posts - why not mushrooms? I am not a fan but I have eaten them with no issues...just curious...thanks jb

Axl

I think you'll find mushrooms are on the usual default caution list when leaving the hospital along with corn, rhubarb, celery etc. Somewhere along the line, some have had some sort of difficulty with some of these, luckily, donuts aren't on that list ....

Doe1mama

My husband eats both. Cheese on pizza sometimes does cause him some gas in the bag, but otherwise no problems.

infinitycastle52777

Pizza has worked out fine for me, but rice tends to come out looking just like it went in. (Strangely enough so do marshmallows, which are supposed to be good for ostomies.)

Lee

Renfromtexas
Reply to Axl

I think a lot of people get blockages from mushrooms.

kbolbol

Doreen,

I have had all the foods you've mentioned without a problem. I'm an ileostomy patient myself, only a small intestine. Of course, some foods travel through mighty quickly. I'm a whopping 230 lbs. Lol. Take care, stay strong. Big Flexin Big Energy.