Skinny dipping?

Replies
Views
Siouxsee
Sep 07, 2023 12:34 am

Can I swim in the ocean (NOT pool or river) without my pouch on?

Longroad78
Sep 07, 2023 12:57 am

Not recommended. Your stoma is your open intestines with blood vessels to absorb nutrients directly into your blood stress. Unchecked bacteria that is in open water could cause infections including flesh eatting bacteria. Wish it was possible to swim like the old days without a bag on but you open yourself to much extreme risk to do so. Think red tide for the ocean where algae blooms can cause skin issues on regular skin just on its own.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 35,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

AlexT
Sep 07, 2023 1:34 pm

You’d be risking a lot of you did. 

IGGIE
Sep 07, 2023 1:46 pm

Really not a good idea.

Mysterious Mose
Sep 07, 2023 4:24 pm

I will add my voice to the chorus. No way is that a good idea. Not in the ocean, not in the lake, not in the river, not in the pool, Sam I am. Allowing your insides to interact with the bacteria in open water or the chemicals and bacteria from fellow humans in a pool sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

Daniel

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Play
Beachboy
Sep 07, 2023 11:43 pm

Alas I can no longer skinny dip like in my days of youth.. .. Now I fatty dip.

CrappyColon
Sep 10, 2023 6:25 pm

Am I the only one picturing fish trying to nibble at a stoma? 😳😬

SallyK
Sep 10, 2023 6:33 pm
Reply to CrappyColon

LOL Or leeches! 😳😱

CrappyColon
Sep 10, 2023 7:06 pm
Reply to SallyK

Ohhhhhhhh forgot about those darn leeches 😬

Siouxsee
Sep 10, 2023 8:13 pm

So are their any products I can use...or do I have to put on my inventor / entrepreneur  hat on?

Beachboy
Sep 10, 2023 8:23 pm

Sally & Crappy.....

Leeches ?....Slimy kind found in rivers & lakes....  Or those inhabiting a certain Washington swamp?  😀

sunburst
Sep 10, 2023 10:12 pm
Reply to Siouxsee

Stealth belt makes a neoprene belt for water sports.  Use that with nothing else

CrappyColon
Sep 10, 2023 11:57 pm
Reply to Beachboy

I didn’t see who this post was by at first and thought it had to be Bob b/c of the Crappy reference. It’s funny watching people figure out what to call me with a username like I chose 😁

Beachboy
Sep 11, 2023 12:17 am

CcD...

I'm jealous of your fancy mustache.  

On a more serious note:  This is the only online site I truly enjoy.  Folks here all have something in common; that each of us is intimate with.  Except for our healthcare professionals, who else could we discuss Ostomy life with?  

Wishing you continued good health,

Dan

CrappyColon
Sep 11, 2023 12:36 am
Reply to Beachboy

Dan,

I cannot take the credit for the stache, the lovely drawing was gifted to me followed by a dare to make it my profile picture. 

There’s some good people here who like you said had have been through stuff and go through stuff on a daily basis and most don’t have people (locally) who understand it on a visceral level like the people here. Glad you found your way to this site 😃

Feel free to call me Jodie or your abbreviation or if it’s funny I’ll prob still answer to it 😁

Mysterious Mose
Sep 11, 2023 12:48 am
Reply to CrappyColon

Having spent time in the military, the name Jodie always had a negative connotation. But that has been supplanted since I have come across crappycolondiaries. 😎

Daniel

CrappyColon
Sep 11, 2023 1:29 am
Reply to Mysterious Mose

Daniel, I bet they spell it Jody too. Knowing my mom she probably had no clue, or she didn’t care… I don’t see there being a grey area with her. My mom had decided when she was a little girl if she ever had a girl she’d name her Jodie… my Grandma I was named for was Joanne and her nickname was Jodie. She and I both also answer/ed to Jo so that got confusing. My cousins kids and foster babies we do respite care for call me Jojo. My mom said the name sounded like someone who loved to have fun and she hoped I would turn out that way. I don’t think she thought about how fun and trouble often go together 😜My nickname on my floor in college was ‘the fun’ as luck would have it 😂 

Mysterious Mose
Sep 11, 2023 3:14 am

Jojo reminds me what we used to call my mother's sister Dorothy. Dodo. Families can come up with the darndest nicknames. :-)

Daniel

Morpheus
Sep 11, 2023 8:35 am

I would not suggest swimming in the ocean or any open waters without some form of protection for your stoma.

The oceans, rivers and lakes are full of biology, including parasites attracted to soft tissues much like your intestine.

Cheers

knobby
Sep 11, 2023 10:38 pm
Reply to Longroad78

Hi, I'm going to Hawaii in 3 days. Can I swim in the ocean with my bag on?
Will it leak?

Thanks,

Rod

Mysterious Mose
Sep 11, 2023 10:51 pm

Any splashing around in water bigger than a bathtub avec bag should be accompanied by an ostomy swim wrap or belt. I think it is not a good idea to add the pressure of water to the connection between your bag and wafer. I do not have firsthand experience, only a basic understanding of hydrodynamics. :-)

Daniel

Petmol
Sep 13, 2023 2:46 am

Yes you can. I swim in the surf all the time. You can also take your bag off if you have a 2 piece system. Feels so good to be free in the ocean.

All the best

Petmol
Sep 13, 2023 2:50 am

Yes you can. I swim in the surf all the time. You can also take your bag off if you have a 2 piece system. Feels so good to be free in the ocean.

All the best

Petmol
Sep 13, 2023 2:55 am

Also. My surgeon suggested to swim in the ocean. I have an iliostomy. Surgery was in January 2022 and I have probably had over a hundred ocean swims since then and Nothing has bitten my stoma off... The salt water is great for its healing properties and it make you feel alive and free. 

Go live. It's all good

Petmol
Sep 13, 2023 2:56 am
Reply to knobby

Yes mate. Go swim and have great time

VeryUnique
Sep 13, 2023 3:26 am

Yeah nah I wouldn't want to do that. 

I'd be worried it might attract the sharks.

SaharaToo
Sep 18, 2023 11:03 am
Reply to knobby

My bags come with a little round stick on to block the filter. I've read that if you don't do this then water can come in through the filter and fill your bag up.

Okra
Sep 22, 2023 3:24 pm
Reply to Petmol

But if you take your bag off, isn’t your intestinal content that would normally go into the bag going into the ocean? That sounds nasty to me!

IGGIE
Sep 24, 2023 1:14 pm
Reply to Petmol

G-Day Petmol,  If you was further north of wear you live you would have the Snapping Handbags after you, or the Sharks. Really not a good idea Mate, get an infection there and your F

Bag o stench
Nov 05, 2023 3:01 pm
Reply to Longroad78

I've read there are plugs you can use to stop output for limited periods of time not sure if this is real or someone's wishes ...